Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

How tight should the screw holding the clutch bell be?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How tight should the screw holding the clutch bell be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
robster94gt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tight should the screw holding the clutch bell be?

Hey all,
I'm just wondering how tight the screw that holds the clutch bell on should be. If I tighten it all, it seems to bind up the clutch bell and keep it from spinning freely. If i don't tighten it looks like it will just fall out.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How tight should the screw holding the clutch bell be?

Hey Rob, You want to have that bolt tight and also make sure to use some locktite on it. If when you tighten it down it binds you need to first make sure you have the shims in the right place. If you are installing new components i.e.: new clutch bell or bearings, you might have to remove a shim.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM
robster94gt

Hey thanks for the help.
I am in fact replacing the original clutch bell with the newer steel one. I don't have a pic yet, but the set up looks like this: screw, lock washer, washer, 2 shims, bearing, bell, bearing, 2 shims. Something must not be right because if I tighten the screw, it really does bind up.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Rob, No problem at all. Just remove 1 shim and see how it is then. That should do it.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
robster94gt

Ok, great! I think I've got it. I had to remove all the shims and just keep the washer and lock washer,but it fully tightens, and the bell spins freely. Thanks again.
There also seemed to be an air leak around the seal of the gas tank lid. I fiddled with the screw last night and this morning it seems to have a better seal. And lastly, I need to find my glow plug starter charger. I haven't worked on this car since and the fall, and it must be lost in the basement somewhere. Ugh. And I think I've got 2 of the things!

Rob