Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:53 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

Thanks for that. I was sure they were (and that the 1/5 waco was still in production). I had been told it was discontinued.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

How are these Waco's holding up for you all? I think this is going to be the next bipe for the hanger. Couple of ?'s for those that have flown this beauty. I want to use gas and plan on staying in the 30-35cc range. How well will this pull this around? I see that most of you have gone to 40cc's. I'm not looking for crazy performance, just a good performer that has enough oomph to do run of the mill manuevers. I would like to go with the two servos for the ailerions. It worked perfect in my Stearman and I didnt have extra leads hanging all over. Thanks in advance.
Stangevil29
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Mine has been is use for a year and has held up very well. There have been a couple of spots were the edge of the trim covering has lifted a little but a quick hit with the iron has fixed it.
Mine is powered with a Moki 180 and has more than enough power for most any maneuver you wish to try.
I have mine set up with four ailerons and the two servo wires come straight down along the cabanes where they are not noticable.
It is a great flyer
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
dingo9882

On mine the right cabane has broken due to vibration for the second time. I have had it for about 2 years now. The Plane flys absolutly beautiful though. It looks great in the air and mine has a brison 2.4 in it. So power is pretty damn good.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I've flown mine maybe 100 times, holding up well. I started with a Saito 180R3 then put a MT 57cc with a canister where the jet goes, I didn't need the jet. It was more fun with the radial, the 57cc could only be opened up if I was going vertical. I'm thinking now of putting a FTL26cc in, I just can't deal with the slime of the nitro motors anymore.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
stangevil29

soarrich,
Thats the reason I have started going gas. Slime and fuel price. I see that you had only used two servos for ailerons. Is that still holding up well for you? I havent looked at the manual but, was curious if they prescribe a way of measuring and setting it up. I would like to put a 30-35cc engine in it. I know for a fact I wouldnt be happy with the current 26cc I have been using in a 120 sz spacewalker.
Stangevil29
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have three gas engines and four Moki glow ones and I prefer Glow. Higher power to weight ratio, I mix my own, no nitro, fuel so the cost is substantially reduced, slime is off the belly in a couple of minutes along with the accumulated grass and/or dirt (which needs to be cleaned anyway), less fire hazard, less chance of radio interference, no carb diaphrams to be damaged by ethanol in gasoline. Glow fuel, if kept capped will last a looooooooog time, gas goes stale in 30 days unless you are using avgas. Fuel tubing that lasts just about forever vs gas line that goes stiff in a year or so. To each his own
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: stangevil29

soarrich,
Thats the reason I have started going gas. Slime and fuel price. I see that you had only used two servos for ailerons. Is that still holding up well for you? I havent looked at the manual but, was curious if they prescribe a way of measuring and setting it up. I would like to put a 30-35cc engine in it. I know for a fact I wouldnt be happy with the current 26cc I have been using in a 120 sz spacewalker.
Stangevil29
It's worked great no problems. I think the manual only talks about 4 servo wings. A real good 26cc puts out more than my 170R3 does, and it flew very nice, not over powered though. A good 3~35cc will be prefect for it.

Did you see this?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 07-28-2009, 11:32 PM
stangevil29

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was hoping this plane would fit the bill for my needs. Believe me I have been reading the thread for the Syssa since post one but, for almost half that I could have a 45cc that does have good customer service(from the few that have needed it) and sounds like darn good performance as well.
Stangevil29
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
geebeeR1

I use the 2 aileron servo setup. You just need to be careful where you pick the spot for the horns... as the hard spots in the ailerons arnt in the same place on the upper as they are on the lower.

Its a great plane and its holding up very well after 2 years, inspite of my best efforts!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 AM
EdB
My Feedback: (10)

Please delete this post!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt it's time to bring this thread back to life.

Like most Kangke kits, the Waco has been around for a long time and I have just set one aside for myself.
I remember following this thread back when it was being started and most part thoughout its lifespan.

I'm curious about what the concensus is on engines?

I'm not big on large volume nitro engines anymore but have access to various sizes of engines including a G26, DLE30 (side carby), 32cc and a 40cc
My flying style isn't that aggressive - I like scale aerobatics and scale flight (well, nothing like the old Jimmy Frankin routines )

Would you say the 30cc or 32cc is enough for this plane?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
stangevil29

I'm with apalsson on this as well. I just picked one of these up last weekend and was going to give the nod to the YDA engines but, it looks like the ZDZ40 is the majority favorite for this plane. I also want to go with the two aileron servo set-up, if its not too troublesome.
Stangevil29
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
apalsson

Because there have been some delays in getting the YD-A engines (32cc) into full production and I'm an impatient so and so, I might use a JC Engines 40cc I have on the shelf.
Might change it out for the 32 when they arrive

I see several references to a method of stiffening up the gear with parts from B&B. Does anyone have an e-mail for them?
I'm loathed to order parts via an overseas telephone call when the value of the parts of hardly any more than the cost of the call
Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
apalsson

I contacted B & E Graphics to get me the logos and stickers for the Waco. I have dealth with them before and they have been great!
Only thing I'm changing from the original is instead of the US flag on the fin, I'm putting the Aussie flag

Rather than ordering the adaptors for the gear reinforcement from B & B (freight cost), I'm buying a few 8 or 10mm bolts with hex heads and drilling through the heads for the 3/16" wire.
Should pretty much achieve the same results.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

I used that landing gear strengthening method and it didn't work well for me. I found a guy who made a set of carbon fiber gear for me and ended that problem. He is unfortunately not producing the gear anymore.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

I used that landing gear strengthening method and it didn't work well for me. I found a guy who made a set of carbon fiber gear for me and ended that problem. He is unfortunately not producing the gear anymore.
Hey Alan,

In what way didn't you like it? Was it not stiff enough?
I thought I might have the bolts lock the lower end of the wire (down towards the wheels) but allow it to slip in the upper mounts. That way, it should stiffen even better
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Birddog-RCU

Exactly, it wasn't stiff enough.

Cheers,
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 PM
apalsson

I thought that by locking the wire in the mounts down towards the lower ends and using the upper ones as "anchors", I'd get much improved stiffening.
Obviously, I will have to anneal the wire where I bend it to maintain the same hardness as before

I have been researching the Jimmy Franklin plane a bit and am really wanting to come up with some sort of a dummy turbine between the gears to simulate the jet engine on the original. Would make for a perfect exhaust stack, not to mention if I added smoke.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 AM
geebeeR1

hey..Ive still got my Waco flying:

Saito 180, Sullivan Smoke pump, Slimline Pitts muffler, 2 wing servos, rudder and elevator servos up in the fuse, carbon fiber gear.

The gear was made by Ken @hobbyncrafts, thats maybe the place birddog was refering to? Flexing problems are immediatly solved with CF gear and it looks great on a hot rod. I was having a bit of a landing death bounce issue tho on asphalt. Moved the gear back as far as i could, and learned to 'always land with a little power', and now she greases in and sticks. But If I flew on grass Id probably be fine with the gear where it was at tho.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Birddog-RCU

Yes, Ken made my gear as well. He is no longer in business.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
y2k6vette

Anybody know where I can get a replacement cowl for this plane? I can't find one listed on Kangke site nor on Fiberglass Specialites. Would like to get a new one ASAP...some help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Birddog-RCU

What happened Steve? []

Kangke should have one. Did you try them? http://www.kangkeusa.com/superkraft.htm
Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
y2k6vette

Thanks,
I found the cowl listed, but I guess I'll have to contact them to buy it.....can't find a way to buy it online. A friend of mine has the plane, but the cowl is bad, so we're trying to locate a new one.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 PM
y2k6vette

Alan,
Tried calling them....no answer....left message...will try next week.
thanks again,
steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.