Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

shop ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

shop ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop ideas

Guys, just moved into a new house and had a shop built into it. Let me hear some ideas please. It's about the size of a one car garage.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: shop ideas

First idea... make it bigger

I'm sure Minnflyer will get in on this and show you pictures of "Man-Land" that he has built.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fill it with models.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the things I've found most usefull is a roll around work table. Ya might want to work one into your plans. I also use a lot of peg board and magnetic tool holders. I suggest that you go sit in the shop with nothing in it and just start DREAMING of how you want it to be. Take your time !!!! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Any links for tables to be fitted/ installed into the garage's corner? to make working area?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

First idea... make it bigger
And it STILL will not be big enough!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Lnewqban

Ideas you have asked for:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9713751

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_332287/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9559900

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9606215

A man with a workshop is a lucky man, cruzomatic!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: red head

One of the things I've found most usefull is a roll around work table.
Ditto. Ideally, you'll want two tables. One that is firmly attached to a wall where you will mount your vise so you can push, pull, hammer, bend and generally beat the hell out of things without having the bench move or fall apart, and a second table for building/working/repairing that stands alone so you have 360 degree access to it.

Wheels on table 2 are a bonus so you can move it out of the way should you ever need to (And you probably will).
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM
red head

I have a low boy water heater in my shop, instead of in the house. To use the space I built a work table ( on wheels ) that slides over the water heater when stored, also a work space. Then when I want it I just unlock the wheel locks and roll it where it will be most handy. When done it goes back where it belongs. I think the price was about $ 30.

My Hobby space isn't a big as it was before I retired and moved to Fl.. Of course for 12 years all I had was 399 sq ft in the 5th wheel and most of that belonged to the wife. lol
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM
dmowery

Like the wheel part - My problem is where in heck do you put all the tools ya dont need but have laying around and extra stuff like wheels , parts motors and all the rest , mine take up the whole top of a full size door on saw horses and another folding 4 f ttable and I need aplace to hang or stack planes as I have a 4 x 8 sheet on couple horses to hold the planes , I know it takes up 1/2 the garage all summer - and ideas less the wifes would be appreachieted- dont ask what she said do with them
Don
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
dignlivn

Hang everything you can on a wall. It's easier
to find what you are looking for. Nails are cheap.

My bench is on wheels also,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26676.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1450587  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Charlie P.

Make sure you leave room to walk.

There are five tables in this image PLUS a table saw and radial arm saw table. Can you spot them?

Never enough horizontal space.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67594.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1452283  
Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Get the height of your worktable[s] right for you. Decide if you work standing or sitting most of the time before you do this.

Set up an extractor fan system to provide positive extraction ventilation where you will be using cyano and epoxy. THIS IS IMPORTANT !

Have a hole in the back corner of your building bench with a trash can beneath it.

Get an old chest of drawers and put it to the right of where you will work. Assuming you are right handed. Storage.

Get a couple of magnetic knife bars and put them under a shelf above your main work area. Ikea do cheap ones.

Have an anglepoise lamp set up over the building board and a some ceiling lighting above the board.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dmowery

Like the wheel part - My problem is where in heck do you put all the tools ya dont need but have laying around and extra stuff like wheels , parts motors and all the rest , mine take up the whole top of a full size door on saw horses and another folding 4 f ttable and I need aplace to hang or stack planes as I have a 4 x 8 sheet on couple horses to hold the planes , I know it takes up 1/2 the garage all summer - and ideas less the wifes would be appreachieted- dont ask what she said do with them
Don
A couple of years ago Home Depot had a metal 24" x 40" work bench for about $100 (I am not sure if it is still offered or not). The "workbench" had 3 drawers on one side, 2 drawers on the other side. I put 4 3" locking castors on it (to get it up to the height I wanted) and a piece of 3/4" particle poard 30" x 54" glued and bolted (recessed the heads of the bolts into the particle board) to the top. I topped that with a piece of sheetrock. The unit is not light, but it moves easily. My workshop is 1/2 of a 10' x 16' shed (the other half is for the riding mower, snow thrower, etc. It is a little tight, but very workable for up to 60 size planes (the planes are hung from the rafters in the shed).
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
MostlyKaos

Hi Cruzo... one thing I did was build a bench just for elecreical. I built 2 more benches with drawers and should have built a drawer in the electrical bench too. Make sure you build the bench longer than a 60 size plane, my 48 inch long benches are too short and do not have wheels. I have almost knocked the stab off of my P-47 a few times because I did'nt center the plans on the table. All of my benches need wheels. Also I made some hangers for wings and fuselage from PVC, I recomnend using 3/4 inch because the 1/2 inch flexes as you can see in the picture.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:30 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
red head

j.doncker mentioned up above about getting an old chest of drawers. I got lucky awhile back and found an old dresser in a salvation army outlet that needed repairs, got it for $5.00. Spent a little time tightening and cleaning and now it's stuffed full of junk and is even and extra roll around if I need it. Sometimes these outlet stores get stuff in that they won't try to fix and you can get them for a song. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My tables are all built in. They are a U shape. I have tools and saws on the side, and 2 workbenches. I also have a 3 x 3 rolling bench that I roll around in between and use for way more than I ever thought i would. Sometimes it holds planes, sometimes tools. Its all good.

I went with a bench at about 40 inches. I can stand and work, but now with the broken back I find I use a tall stool mostly. Now I wish it was shorter because i can't stand at it for very long. One more month and that might change.

Make it at the height you like the best. Most of my friends like to sit and work in a regular chair. I prefer to stand if i can.