Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stripped RPM wheel hexes... Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped RPM wheel hexes... Why?

Hey guys, just had a few questions to see what everyone thought.

I have been running my Brushless Associated Monster GT lately and just got the transmission fitted with metal gears so that I wont strip it again. So, i took it out for one of my first runs after the metal gear mod, and all was well. It was wheelying like crazy and very smooth. I had the slipper clutch almost completely tight. Then it started making a weird noise and seemed to lose power to the rear. I figured I had broken another CV drive pin, so i put it in the truck and didnt think anything of it.

When i came home I figured out that I had stripped the hex inside the rim. The truck has aluminum 14mm hex nuts on it, and the rims are RPM brand Maxx sized rims with Imex tires on them. I always get them as tight as I feel comfortable with, but I thought maybe I had just left it a little too loose on that one rim. So I went to swap wheels back to my stock T-Maxx wheels for now and 2 more of my rims had the hex spun partially in the hex hole of the rim when i took them off. They were also going to strip under much pressure. Only 1 front rim/hex was how it should be. The hexes on the rims were in perfect shape before, and I know that the nuts werent loose enough to cause this problem.

So, my question is. Is brushless(on NiMh) just too much power for a 14mm hex on this 13lb truck, or are the RPM wheels just made of material that is too soft? I guess ill find out if the Maxx wheels strip after I run them some, but hopefully not. I guess If I keep having problems, Ill have to buy a set of 17mm Savage flux hexes, rims and tires or something. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Eric
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Stripped RPM wheel hexes... Why?

Yea, the 14mm hexes won't hold brushless power too well. I learned the hard way by stripping out a new set of rims. The 17mm hexes are much better for brushless. Brushed and nitro are usually fine with 14mm hexes though.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this same problem on my E-Revo. I kept stripping one wheel and always thought I had the nuts tight enough. Each time it would strip the wheel would become loose. After 2 wheels I started using Blue Loctite and really screwing them down. Problem went away without changing to 17MM hubs. Not sure if it'll work for you but I haven't stripped a wheel in 4 months.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RPM wheels suck... they use a brittle plastic. Try some proline wheels.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Thanks guys. The wheel nuts were pretty tight when i pulled them off. They are nyloc nuts, but they get worn, so im sure some blue loctite wouldnt hurt. Not sure if it would fix my problem or not, but it may be worth a try.

I think 14mm is a little small, but i also think the RPM wheels may not be strong enough. Hmm, If I end up buying wheels, Ill buy some 17mm wheels and hexes and 17mm rims i guess. I just hate that they stripped. Im sure i could try to get RPM to warranty the rims, but im not sure if they would and it'd probably cost me more in shipping than to just buy new rims.

Eric
Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Josh222

You could try gluing the hex into the rim so it can't strip. You really need 17mm hex upgrade though.