Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuji 50 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Jlem
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuji 50 question

I have two fuji 50's that both had prop strikes that bent the cranks. are the new cranks stronger than the original ones or are they the same. If they are the same I guess I will have to only use them on a tri-cycle gear airframe bird
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fuji 50 question

Replacement crankshafts would be the same as the originals. A prop strike can bend a crank in ANY model engine (or even a full-size "real" aircraft engine).
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Jlem

You are right that a prop strike "COULD" bend any crankshaft but on most model engines it will not unless it is a hard prop strike. I found that on the Fuji 50 that even just a prop strike that does not break the prop can bend the crankshaft. The engine is a good running engine and I love it otherwise but to spend $100 every time the prop touches the ground is rediculous. Like I said, I am only going to use the Fuji 50 on a tricycle landing gear airframe from now on.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you use a wooden prop , wont it break , before any damage?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Jlem

WhiteRook, You would think this to be the case but my experience has been that both Prop Strikes were with wooden props and the one did not even break the prop. I believe that in an effort to reduce the weight significantly on the Fuji 50 engine the Crank was made of a lesser strength material or the machining left significantly less material thus making it more prone to bending easier. Do not get me wrong, I love the Fuji 50 performance but this little twist is an expensive side effect of a very light engine.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Jlem,
You don't mention the particulars about the strikes. How fast was the engine running? Were the propstrikes during taxiing, landing....? My Fuji 50 has nosed over during taxi a couple of times with no ill effects.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Jlem

well one was on landing and then nosed over.... it was a christian eagle..... also it has been about five years now since this happened.... I am assuming that the newer ones have a stronger crankshaft in them. Back five years ago there were a lot of threads about how soft the crankshaft was on the Fugi 50...... maybe they heard us and fixed it.... hope so
Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Perhaps they have changed the crank.. I have the same plane, but mine is only about 3 yrs old. It certainly doesn't like to taxi downwind! It seems counter-intuitive, but the plane actually taxies downwind better if I input full down elevator when headed downwind and taxi very slowly. The wind seems to catch underneath any up elevator and push the nose over. Heading upwind, of course, requires the usual up elevator.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Jlem

That is typical of any Bi-plane..... short nose moment.... very tricky sometimes to input just enough down elevator and taxi down wind without a nose over