Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

ORIGINAL: jon6565

That is
ORIGINAL: baurwin

uh ohhhh, this dont look good at all.

[link]http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/hkpost_bans_lipos.shtml[/link]
That is bad news! I guess by sea is still good, we would just need to plan well in advance! I can't see anything immediate on the HK site front page...?
I made the mistake of placing an order with Hobby King two weeks ago today.Mostly plank building parts but also included 2 LiPo's. A couple of days later they had a notice (on the "MyAccount" page, not the main page) about major shipping delays at the HK airport due to increased security and additional screening of packages (but they didn't say what for). After a while they indicated there was as long as a 2-3 WEEK backlog in package shipping thoughHK.Then they said they were looking at alternate shipping and even countries to try to shorten the shipping delays.My package tracking number changed three times in the course of a week. Finally got a second shipping notice from them this Monday. When I enter the tracking number it brings up a Singapore Speedpost website but I still haven't seen any actual tracking info.Have no idea if I'll ever get this stuff and this was supposed to be EMS shipping!!!

Bill

Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Wow, that's not good. I was just looking at getting a couple of more LiPo's myself. I'll have to see if there are any inexpensive ones here in the US.

I'm working on my Guru canopy & managed to cut away all the flashing. I am wondering how do I cut a nice, clean hole for the grommet for the canopy holding rod? I've never done anything like this before.

Chuck
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Wow, that's not good. I was just looking at getting a couple of more LiPo's myself. I'll have to see if there are any inexpensive ones here in the US.

I'm working on my Guru canopy & managed to cut away all the flashing. I am wondering how do I cut a nice, clean hole for the grommet for the canopy holding rod? I've never done anything like this before.

Chuck
I should note on the Hobby King issue, they are now saying on their website that the shipping backlog at the HKairport has been resolved and they are expecting to be back to their usual 24-48 shipping window. They have never indicated that there were any restrictions related to the kinds of items that were ordered (like batteries).

On the canopy hole, I've always just used an appropriately sized dill bit and twirled it with my fingers to make the hole. If it's a FG canopy, you might get some minor chipping of the gel coat but the canopy grommet should cover it. You could also twirl the tip of an X-acto knife.

Bill

Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
dunkonu23

Button, button! I got my button! Thank you so much, Ivan! You're a premier guy! Thanks, again!

Now Ican crash again!

Scott
Old 06-09-2010, 02:42 PM
dknovick

i have a tendency to just fly the darn thing lmao.......
Where's the fun in that!

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

ORIGINAL: dknovick

I can tilt the main rotor, without tilting the body (which is the start of forward flight)? Right? So, there has to be something else which is causing the tilt...???

-Dave

Confused??? The main rotor may tilt just a tiny bit due to the dampeners but overall, it should stay reasonably close in relationship to the body.
Sorry, lots of "tilts" here.

During lift off, the heli slides to the left due to translating tendency of the tail rotor thrust. We "tilt" the cyclic to the right, to lift off straight. I'm tilting the main rotor (the disk), but not the body. During a stable hover, the body is "tilted" to the right (right skid down, for us, due to the rotation of our blades, and the location of the tail thrust).

So, I was saying that I don't believe that the right cyclic nudge during lift off is the sole source of the body tilt to the right. I was also thinking about how the tail thrust tilts the body to the right, but it's not enough to compensate for the translating tendency of the tail.

-Dave
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
karlik

i have a tendency to just fly the darn thing lmao.......
Where's the fun in that!

-Dave

I agree. Sometimes when you can't fly for one reason or another it's fun to ask a question and search for answers. I've been doing a little research on vortex ring state / settling with power. [link]http://www.copters.com/aero/settling.html[/link]

It's clear it does apply to RC, but I'm not sure if we can calculate the decent rate where it happens (I haven't found a formula), or see any indication in time to save it. Would the decent rate be low enough to have it happen to us beginners, or is the decent rate high enough that it would be an extreme maneuver for RC and only happen to the 3d guys? Have I found a plausible excuse for some of my crashes ?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
9sec240

Received the stretch kit for the Gaui 425 today. I ran into an issue right away with the blades. The hole in the blades is 4 mm and 3 mm in the grips. I put it all together and I will work on an adapter tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16319.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	1450968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10394.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	1450969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48689.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	1450970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36491.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	1450971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90352.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	1450972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cs15436.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1450973  
Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks, Bill. It's cheap plastic so I was worried it would split or crack if I just ran a drill into it. I'll try a pin vise & see how that goes.

Good luck, Ivan. Let us know how it flies!

Chuck
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
9sec240

During lift off, the heli slides to the left due to translating tendency of the tail rotor thrust. We ''tilt'' the cyclic to the right, to lift off straight. I'm tilting the main rotor (the disk), but not the body. During a stable hover, the body is ''tilted'' to the right (right skid down, for us, due to the rotation of our blades, and the location of the tail thrust).

So, I was saying that I don't believe that the right cyclic nudge during lift off is the sole source of the body tilt to the right. I was also thinking about how the tail thrust tilts the body to the right, but it's not enough to compensate for the translating tendency of the tail.

-Dave
Dave, I can get the disk to lean a bit while on the ground. Some of that is in the dampeners. Some of that is in blade flex. Some of that is in landing gear flex. I think that most all of that turns into body tilt when the pressure on the right skid is relieved though.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 AM
dunkonu23

Received the stretch kit for the Gaui 425 today. I ran into an issue right away with the blades. The hole in the blades is 4 mm and 3 mm in the grips. I put it all together and I will work on an adapter tomorrow.

Ivan,

Are you using the CNCgrips? Just wondering. I couldn't tell from the photos. I think a while back, Bill put up a link for adapters. Ithink this was it...

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=4447

Scott

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 AM
9sec240

Scott, I have the stock plastic grips. The problem with the adapters that Gaui has is the flanges. I have 12 mm root thickness blades and the grips are 12 mm. No room for the flange.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM
maxmax77

hi guys, bee na little while since I posted...I'm in washington DC right nw, and don't have access to a computer all the time. (I'm part of a study for my disease that makes me crash if I do too much stuff...one of the reasons I picked up helis instead of oh say, soccer )

Phil; You're the front page, bro. Guess that's not saying a lot though, since there's only one page ever
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: karlik

I agree. Sometimes when you can't fly for one reason or another it's fun to ask a question and search for answers. I've been doing a little research on vortex ring state / settling with power. [link]http://www.copters.com/aero/settling.html[/link]

It's clear it does apply to RC, but I'm not sure if we can calculate the decent rate where it happens (I haven't found a formula), or see any indication in time to save it. Would the decent rate be low enough to have it happen to us beginners, or is the decent rate high enough that it would be an extreme maneuver for RC and only happen to the 3d guys? Have I found a plausible excuse for some of my crashes ?
I was reading about that on the last link you posted...and also found this:
http://www.pilotoutlook.com/helicopt...ngwithpower%29

The key that I see is this:
In addition, the helicopter may descend at a rate that exceeds the normal downward induced-flow rate of the inner blade sections. As a result, the airflow of the inner blade sections is upward relative to the disc.

We know the RPM of the main rotor (more or less), so we *should* be able to calculate the velocity of the downwash (given the pitch). Traveling downward faster than that speed could put us into a Vortex Ring State...

Sounds like you would see the problem if your descending fast (with little to no forward airspeed), and you realized that you have little or no cyclic authority (and increased levels of vibration).

-Dave
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
dknovick

Dave, I can get the disk to lean a bit while on the ground. Some of that is in the dampeners. Some of that is in blade flex. Some of that is in landing gear flex. I think that most all of that turns into body tilt when the pressure on the right skid is relieved though.
You can get the disk to lean a whole lot on the ground when you move the cyclic 'round

So, if I have this straight, are you saying that the small right cyclic used to get a straight lift off induces the body tilt in the air?
Out of ground effect, I'm not using much cyclic to keep a stable hover, but the body is still tilted.

Did I capture that correctly?

-Dave
Old 06-10-2010, 01:05 PM
dunkonu23

Scott, I have the stock plastic grips. The problem with the adapters that Gaui has is the flanges. I have 12 mm root thickness blades and the grips are 12 mm. No room for the flange.
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I figure someone else may benefit down the road... Take a blade and a grip to your LHS and get a piece of tubing that snuggly fiits the blade opening, then try different ID's so that the blade bolt fits. Once you find one that meets that, cut the tube to length and CA it inside the original 4mm opening. Like I said, I bet you've already thought of this.

EDIT: Orrr.... Cut the flanges from the insert! Late... yeah!

Scott
Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
RMG2

Ya'll, just a note that I have not vacated the forum just working on some stuff not heli related lately and will continue away from herethrough the month.

Parts are coming in for the Compass electronicsissue so when I am back to the helis I'll have parts to get her back together.

JON! Awesome video man! Looks like you did pretty darn well for so little time preparing for the race! For those of you who have never raced MX, or know little about it, MXis one of the most physically demanding sports in the world! MX is hard enough for a young man first starting in the sport but throw onsome years, and jumping back in with both feet like Jon did is really TOUGH to say the least!

Have a great month folks!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
stump3r

ORIGINAL: RMG2

Ya'll, just a note that I have not vacated the forum just working on some stuff not heli related lately and will continue away from here through the month.

Parts are coming in for the Compass electronics issue so when I am back to the helis I'll have parts to get her back together.

JON! Awesome video man! Looks like you did pretty darn well for so little time preparing for the race! For those of you who have never raced MX, or know little about it, MX is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world! MX is hard enough for a young man first starting in the sport but throw on some years, and jumping back in with both feet like Jon did is really TOUGH to say the least!

Have a great month folks! [img][/img]
OH OH, did I start a trend? Good to hear your getting everything together Randy. I think I'm purposely going to schedule some heli time in over vacation this summer. I'm getting some withdrawl symptoms now that we are getting some nice weather.

Jon, awsome vids racing buddy. Keep em coming!

Ivan, are you going to bag an X5 when they come out? Would like to hear your thoughts on that bird.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
J-MICHAEL

I'm not using much cyclic to keep a stable hover, but the body is still tilted.

I've heard of some canting there tail rotor to help eliminate the body tilt, but I've never tried it. (don't care) Dave (Choppersrule) said for him it took care of the left skid low... Or is it right skid low ?? !

I'm getting some withdrawl symptoms now that we are getting some nice weather.

Hey, I thought we agreed to meet up here in the fall...?? ! I hear ya Shane, nicer weather makes it hard for any pilot. I've just been to busy like yourself to do anything related to the RC stuff, but maybe I'll be able to get some kind of flight in with something someday ! Now its getting to where I hope I remember how to turn on the DX7.... LMAO...
Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
baurwin

those of you who have the hyperion batts, how do they compare to the high c rated zippies? im lookin to start replacing my 450 batts with 40c jobbers. basicly i can get 2 40c zippies shipped for 1 hyperion. are the hyperions worth it? this will be an over time replacement, some here and there, just wondering if its worth it to go with hyperions or not.

had a little boo booo with the 250 a few days ago. was out playin in front of the house a few flips and hovering around. on the 2nd pack, i went to do a front flip and she fell righht to the street. yup, forgot to put it in idle up. doh. that was my first time to do that. only damage is a bent flybar so not bad for fallin to the street from aboout 20 ft or so. other than that, no flying from me since saturday. been windy and hot lately. plus been kinda busy of a morning. gonna have to start donating plasma again to fund the battery replacements lol. i wanna feed that scorpy -6 all it can handle.....
Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
9sec240

You can get the disk to lean a whole lot on the ground when you move the cyclic 'round

So, if I have this straight, are you saying that the small right cyclic used to get a straight lift off induces the body tilt in the air?
Out of ground effect, I'm not using much cyclic to keep a stable hover, but the body is still tilted.

Did I capture that correctly?

-Dave
What I think is: The tail rotor is pushing the helicopter to the left so to counteract that, the heli needs some right thrust which it gets by leaning to the right.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
9sec240

Wow!!! Randy, Shane AND Jeff all in one night!!! Sweet.

Randy, glad to hear from you. Glad to know that the 6HV will be back in the air soon. Any update on what CC did for you?

Shane, I am probably going to hold off on the X5 for a while. It is designed to be a 3D moster which I am not. I think that there are other helicopters that would suit my flying style a bit better. Maybe when the price comes down a bit and I get a dozen of my other helis sold.. In the mean time, I just stretched my 425 to swing 500s!!

Jeff, missed you buddy. How is the BMUU?

Eddie, I have broken landing gear, main blades and feathering shafts in my T250. That is IT. I have crashed maybe 4 times and it always is very little damage. Sorry to hear about yours but nice that it was cheap. I have one Hyperion pack and it kicks ass. I have a bunch of 40C Turnigy packs and they seem to kick ass too. I personally go for the 2 for 1s.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
9sec240

My Gaui 500 (stretched Gaui 425) update.

I pushed some bushings out of some crashed 325 carbons I had here and they were the right size OD and ID. I used those to get me in the air but they are not ideal. The blades they came out of had 5 mm roots and the 500s on the Gaui are 12 mm root. I will do some searching around to get the proper length.

I took out the 20T OWB and put the 19T back in. Swapped out my 14T pinion for a 13T. 60T front main on a 1600kv motor puts me about 2300 RPMs. Punchouts are FAST!!! The sun was setting and I was flying in the front yard so I did not get a chance to flip or roll it yet. The tail seemed decent despite having only 70 mm tail blades. I think that it could probably use a bit more gain. I will play around with it tomorrow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE1Q7CVk6Ro[/youtube]
Old 06-10-2010, 10:35 PM
phillyD

Right on Sir Ivan
That heli is behaving true to form like a Gaui. Nice machines especially when coming down through its down wash; then again Yawn streach, yawn streach oops 550 LMAO
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
stump3r

Damn Ivan!!! You should post that vid so Nexgen can see that! He'll pee his pants when he see's the punch out power on that bad boy... awesome bird! Speaking of the X5, all the advertising I've received on it says that it has the setup capability of very gentle to a full out 3D beast. The only thing is that the instructions on the Gaui site don't show the de-tuning steps. I'm on the fence with them as well. Really would like to see an super combo from Gaui. I have their new digital servos in both the 200 and the 255 and love them, would like to see what they bring out for the bigger birds.

Jeff, I'm really getting the itch bad. The thing that makes it super hard is that this time of year it's literally light out until 11pm. I can fly without issue until 11pm easy. I just have to charge some bats and get out in the backyard. Damn helicrack!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 AM
J-MICHAEL

had a little boo booo with the 250 a few days ago. was out playin in front of the house a few flips and hovering around. on the 2nd pack, i went to do a front flip and she fell righht to the street. yup, forgot to put it in idle up. doh. that was my first time to do that. only damage is a bent flybar so not bad for fallin to the street from aboout 20 ft or so. other than that, no flying from me since saturday. been windy and hot lately. plus been kinda busy of a morning. gonna have to start donating plasma again to fund the battery replacements lol. i wanna feed that scorpy -6 all it can handle.....

When are ya gonna splat the 600 on some asphalt for the neighbors ?? ! They want bigger............................................ .......

What I think is: The tail rotor is pushing the helicopter to the left so to counteract that, the heli needs some right thrust which it gets by leaning to the right.
Who needs tail rotors anyhow ? Your stretched Gaui looks sweeeeet ! [8D] I know nothing really about stretching the critters. But did do a small amount of research awhile back for the Logo, but already forgot most of it. I saw glancing back, that you asked about it...

I think that there are other helicopters that would suit my flying style a bit better.

Like a Trex 700E.............................................. ...... [8D]

Jeff, I'm really getting the itch bad. The thing that makes it super hard is that this time of year it's literally light out until 11pm. I can fly without issue until 11pm easy. I just have to charge some bats and get out in the backyard. Damn helicrack!!!!

That's crazy about your daylight hours Shane. I never realized. I guess you are closer to Alaska... But I'am not to far away from ya either ! I think it gets dark around here about 9:00 p.m. or something ?? I've been having the craving of at least hovering the 500 lately... Its been a LONG time. Lol... But the craving does eat at you. It must be an addiction to the adrenalin or something ! Something the Cubby just won't do..........................

Phil ! ~

OK.......... Fess up........ How many planks ya got now ??? ! Bill....????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.