Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Newbie needs help and Says Hi

Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM
LeoGig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help and Says Hi

Hi All. I just signed up a few minutes ago after finding this site. I've been into RC stuff for some time now. Mostly electric powered, but just recently acquired a gas truck. Thus, I've got some questions about it.
First, let me say Hi, and a little about myself. I'm a 43 year old pizza slinger (yes I'm Italian) :0) Born into the biz. Own a shop with my wife and 3 children who are 11, 9, and 3 years old. All of which have their own 1/18 scale cars. Yes, I'm constantly repairing them. lol
As for myself, I have A Ducted fan Jet A10 kit which I've had for about 5 years now. I have yet to get some time to myself to put it together. I also own a Heli-Max CP that I am playing with. I have had it flying somewhat. I started off with an RC10 a few years ago, and still have parts and pieces that I mess around with now and then. I used to build and maintain cars for my younger brother who would race at a local track. I'm not much into racing (no time). I guess I am more of a tinkerer, who just likes to build things.
Anyway, I've got a T-Maxx from one of my nephews in exchange for a fish tank. It looks to be needing a bunch of parts. there is a 2.5r engine with it, but he says it's no good. So, I picked up a used SH .28 which seems to have good compression, but doesnt fit on the stock motor mount. After a bit of research, I've found that it might be too much for the Traxxas for the Traxxas anyways.

So, should/could it be made to fit with some modification, or shouldn't I even try?

Thanks in advanced.

Leo
Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 PM
thechap76
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Newbie needs help and Says Hi

hello and glad to have ya here...as far as putting a big block in ur t maxx u woll have to go with a big block mount for yhe t maxx...and is it to much for it...prolly but if ur a tinkerer like me breakin em is half the fun....ur weakest part is the trans and u can build that uo enough to hold up to the big block as well...get ya a noubt and run it...when it breaks build it to hold it....enjoy ur t maxx
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
LeoGig

thechap76, thanks for the quick reply. Where would be a good place to look for a mount which will work?

Thanks

Leo
Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 PM
thechap76

check like a main hobbies or tower hobbies....even e bay...but if i remember right there is a add on rcu right now that has 1...ill check right now for you
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 PM
thechap76

ok i found you a kit thru horizon hobbies....
Dynamite's T-Maxx .21 Conversion Kit contains everything you need to strengthen your T-Maxx, allowing a more powerful .21-.26 engine. The hard-anodized chassis and components are rugged enough to deflect dents and scratches, while the longer wheelbase stablizes the T-Maxx at high speeds. The heavy-duty metal driveshafts and CV joints substantially strengthen the drivetrain to withstand the increased horsepower. the polished aluminum in-line exhaust system increases the engine's performance, as the high-volume air filter thoroughly cleans the air to the carburetor without starving the engine. The kit also includes detailed step-by-step instructions for a quick and easy conversion in just a few hours. There's nothing else to buy. The Conversion Kit comes in four versions: one each for the T-Maxx and T-Maxx 2.5 with and without a powerful Dynamite Mach .26 pull-start engine. The precisely machined Mach 26 requires no starter box and offers perfomance features like a precut driveshaft, long-lasting ABC piston/sleeve assemblies, slide carburetor and large powder-coated heatsink head.

Detailed Information

Parts Listing
Optional Accessories
Conversion Kit for T-Maxx (177 KB)
Review: Dynamite Conversion Kit for T-Maxx with Mach .26 Engine
Sportwerks Mayhem Update
Dynamite's New Fuel Gun

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/SReview.aspx

Radio Control
Model Trains
Play & Learn
Best Sellers
New Releases
Buying Guides
Parts Finder

Hot Offers
Bruised Boxes
Free Shipping
APO/FPO Shipping

ExploreRC
Articles
New Releases
News
Glossary
Email Signup

My Account
View Cart
Wish List
Order History

Support Home
Manuals
Contact Us
Store Locator
Survey
Product Bulletins
Discontinued Items

About Us
Brands
Become a Dealer
Careers
Donations
More Information

Privacy Policy
Terms of Use
Shipping Policy
Returns Policy
Compliance
Find a Retailer Near You | By Phone: 1-800-338-4639 | Online: RC, Trains, Play & Learn
or on rcu there is a member whos online name is poppinstuff....he has a lottaa t,axx prts listed plussays he has more...ur gonna most of what he has...check with him but if not use horizon...sum of there kits they even have engines...any more questions just ask...thanx...jason
Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM
LeoGig

Thanks a bunch Jason. Looks like I'm in for some good tinkering. I was just about to put it all up for sale, but now I think it's gonna be too much fun trying to get this truck running.

Thanks again

Leo
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
thechap76

no problem...
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 PM
johndavis

please post your results.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:57 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A .28 is a lot for a stock (at least im guessing it is) tmaxx... The drive-shafts will become the weak point.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:21 PM
LeoGig

Well, after thinking about it overnight. I've decided to look for a 2.5 or 3.3 stock motor for it. Before I get into doing any major mods I had better learn the workings of it first, and I really can't afford to spend a whole lot on it right now.

I should probably post this on the classifieds instead but, if anyone has a 2.5 or 3.3 in decent shape and would like to trade for this SH .28 let me know.

Also, one more question. What is the difference between the 2.5 and the 2.5r?

Thanks

Leo
Old 06-13-2010, 05:51 PM
thechap76

not enough 2 waste the time to type it...just get urself a nice 3.3 an be done...ull be much happier....