Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

earthquake used to run but now it won't start

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

earthquake used to run but now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM
sdnitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default earthquake used to run but now it won't start

I have almost run a whole gallon of nitro fuel through my earthquake 3.5 and now I can't get it started. It will fire a few times but wont take off and run. I have wrecked my pull start spring and also trashed a drill start trying to get it running. I have a new pull start on the way (expensive though). i think my lsn is probably too rich because it blows fuel out of the exhaust when trying to start. Im not sure where the factory lsn setting should be, so I can start over. I also have some new glow plugs they are hpi-racing #1503 med-cold-r4 plug, are they the correct ones or is the glow plug possibly my problem? Thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 PM
kelynsdad1023

Default RE: earthquake used to run but now it won't start

I have also have been having problems with Earthquake. As far the factory setting on your low speed ....turn it clockwise till it is snug but don't over do it and then 2.5 turns counter-clockwise . Fuel coming out of your pipe would mean that you are too rich on the low speed. Now as far as my problems are concerned... for some reason I am loosing glow plugs out of my engine I lost 4 already...like they are just blowing out of the top of the engine...***???? Has anyone ever seen this happen before ? I was using OS 8 plugs I lost 3 of those and the original one was doing fine then that one blew out too. I just got a mccoy mc 59 and mc9 and will see how those work. Also I am seeing fuel coming out of the top of the engine while it is running is this normal ?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM
lvh

It's probably coming from the glow plug hole sounds like the threads are striped in the head. Yea it probably turns in and seams to get tight but the compression is blowing it out.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM
rokit_armor

If not all of your fuel is igniting, you'll get fuel out of the exhaust no matter how rich/lean the carb is. I would double-check your glow plug threads and make sure they aren't crossed or stripped. If they are a heli-coil repair may be necessary. To check for a good seal on your glowplug, make a nice soapy water solution and spray it lightly (don't want to flood the engine with this if you do have a leak) around the glowplug where it mates with the head, and turn the engine over slowly. If you get bubbles forming around the glowplug you have a compression issue.
Ali also recommends the OS#8 Hot plugs.

I would treat the engine as if its slightly flooded (see ali's flooded engine video) and lean out the carb per kelynsdad's instructions if there are no compression issues.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM
kelynsdad1023

sorry let me make a coorection about your low speed needle....flush it to the edge counter clockwise and then go about 1 or 2 turns in and you can tune it from there.