Search
Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

The Manta Ray Sub Its about Time!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
AQUASUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Manta Ray Sub Its about Time!!

The Manta Manta Sub,one day I was surfaing the web looking for possible sub hulls and out of the blue came this hit,I was floreda t the capability and best of all price of this sub all ready to go and even the remote is water tight.
I knew after seing the vedeo clip over and over till I could get a good idea just how much fun this will be to operate,yes just like the good old Nikko mass produced cheap and made for fun this one is leages ahed in just the way it manuevers! There are turns this thing can make that only fighter jets and Helis can achieve!!!

Immelmann turns thats a new one for subs WOW!

Man I had to get one and soon it will be arriving and i will post a review ,its bran new on the market so its not available all over but at a 2 stores and for 79.00$ on sale now normaly 120.00 its well worth it!

2 individualy vectored prop podes make this thing fly threw the water very nicely and rolls are very easy.

Check it out here
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26ie%3DUTF-8

I am thinking Jet Drive ? Ya even faster.
Get them while the price is good!
Dave Amur Sub Yard
Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
AQUASUB

Default RE: The Manta Ray Sub Its about Time!!

Here it is
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
AQUASUB

I finaly had some time to testout this little juewl of a sub.First i used the suplied double A batery holder and installed it the belly hold of the ray ,when you flip it over there is this compartment that has a bunch of stainless screw and a square seal lip grove,the threads are also stainless nice.

I then turned on the TX and then the Ray it powered up and then moved the one traughtle then the other and they turned smothly and variably down to very slow speed,the 2 proip are high speed counter clock wise props that are about an inch in diamiter,the drives are a watercooled gear drive units i don't know yet if there planetary or otherwaise but there very well made and can be dessambled which is very nice as well,there a good size about 12 cm by 4 or so with nice shrouds.Stainless shafts also.These 2 units are fully indipendantly controled and rotate up or down and auto rotate to center.There mounting shaft is sealed with an O ring into the aft section of the rays Casing.

The casing is acssesed by removeng a one hell af allot of screws all stainless from beneath the ray then the ones that hold it inplace and then it can be split there is no permanent glue sealer just on the many wireing ports .

Well how does she run.Man this this thing is a blast! to say the least one has to lern how to run a sub of this kind all over again,fast and super super manueverable like I have never seen before from barrel rolls to inverted double tripple loops is just a few things this Ray can do!
I thaught man this thing isin't going to run for very long at all at full on just 4 double As ,to my suprise she ran about a half hour! Not bad ata all,I also tried it on the rechargable bat pack sold sepratly and got a bit less time,the nice thing is though that it runs on both sources!And only takes a few moments to change them out.

The green LED front laghting works great at night and is effective.

Well now for some bad news,when I first ran the sub I had a bad flood right out of the box! I thaught man what a bummer I got a bad one,so I opened her up affectivly disected the ray as above ,I sprayed down all the electronics and removed the aft servos that contain 2 pots they must be protected ,I turned on the ray and it all came back to life thank god!

I then used the god old Goop to reseal every wire passthrew and there are a bunch especialy the 4 wires for the LEDS they can be a bear to seal and all the rest went fine ,I then used Silicone grease on the entire rubber seal lip of the casing and clsed her up made a few tests and she was ready for the deep.Oh I also uncoiled the antena why they did this I dont know it only made the reseption lousy.The long wire was then laid down in a large coil and tapped inplace not using the entire wire which must be 2 plus meters long!
Resption mush better even in my clorinated pool.

Another little tip when you first get this Ray,check that the thrusters are inline with the body if they are up or down they must be readjusted by 2 pts on the seperate circuit bourd individualy ,if not the sub is difficuly to remain nuetral without constant adjustment of depth,I also wnt to reverse the dive serface dual controls so that the up is up.

I just oredred another that was on an even better sail for 59.00 bucks this one will for parts and disection experimentation exetra.

Those 2 thrusters are great for other subs nice designe and plenty of power at 6 volts and are very effecient I would buy the Ray just for thosethrusters and install them on another sub at that price you cant go wrong as to make a home made truster of that high a quality would be difficult.Smothe gear operation and plenty of power!
So be sure that when you first get this Ray that the above sealing and adjustment items are done if not you might be disapointed and its a good idea to know the inners of it any way.
I love it and would highly recomend it for any subber!
Well Ill post some pics later.And I will make vid of her manuvers.

Dave Amur Sub Yard
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 PM
SNOWTANK

It's a beauty Aquasub!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM
AQUASUB

Thank you SNOWTANK!

The quality and designe is very good.

Dave
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
AQUASUB

The other day 2 freinds of mine got together at the DEVILS DEN for a sub run and the Cyber manta had its first debue in the cristal clear waters of the Den.In the video you can see how maneuverable the Manta is ! With ease it does loops and inverted figure 8ts that so much funn!
By just comanding full speed and one thruster up the other down it rools over in a gracefull roll and then can turn on its axis,super manueverability and good speed.

But the most amazing thing is just how long it runs!
On just 4 double A energizers,Im not saying there the best but on that kind of batery it ran and ran and ran just like the bunny man I got it to run for an hour and some on just that one pack WOW not bad and not too much loss in power till the end .
Not at all what I expected ,with those geared down water cooled motors and high speed props the matching of the prop to drive is perfect on this sub and those thrusters can be used on other subs as well,Ibet they would be even faster at 6 or 7 volts!

The radio reseption is quite good down in the Den andI had a good running field though remember I had to extend and uncoil the internal antena and is in alarger coil inside of thesub.

If it went too deepor too far it simply stopped and floated to the serface at no time did i haveto go get her, the inherent failsafe of a dynamic diver is very simple and super reliable.

I could go about 8 ft down with no problems and no leaks at all,I had to take care of that as well as is written inthe first post,but after those 2 items this little sub is amazing and super fun to run and run it will for a long time!

Enjoy the vids by Mark Green
http://www.vimeo.com/10046234

http://www.vimeo.com/10046234

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM
AQUASUB

Oops here is the other vid.

http://www.vimeo.com/10046013
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
AQUASUB

I Tried to take apart one of the thrusters but was not sucssesful as i would say they are cemented or sealed yet have 2 srews that can be removed from the back ,also removed the screen on the sterns of each thruster so that more flow is un obstructed and therefore more speed.

Dave
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
AQUASUB

I Tried to take apart one of the thrusters but was not sucssesful as i would say they are cemented or sealed yet have 2 srews that can be removed from the back ,also removed the screen on the sterns of each thruster so that more flow is un obstructed and therefore more speed.

Dave
Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Somebody is going to break a toy !!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:10 PM
AQUASUB

Haven't broke her yet ,mashed it the rocks a few times but this thing is staut and made to last!
And even if it did get run over or lost its no big deal just order another copy!
Perpeetual inexpensive fun this little juel is ,gey one you won;y be disapointed just be sure to do the things i did to it ,if only the manufacturer would it would make them much better!
Maybe Ill give them a jingle.

Dave
Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 PM
AQUASUB

The very nice thing about a vector thrust drive system is no dive planes or rudder to break off or get caught in the weeds!

Dave
Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Carcharadon

Speaking of Devils Den videos

http://home.comcast.net/~max0007/DD9.wmv

One of these day I'll make it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
AQUASUB

Great video,come on down you will have a blast!
 Try to bring a sub that is small enogh to go in the Den will amaze you!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Carcharadon

Its on my to do list, but you guys are great! Keep up the good work.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
AQUASUB

Thanks We are a small group of determined fun loving builders and experimentors that strive to improve the great hobby of Rc submarines and the Devils Den is the place where there tested and enjoyed.

Amur Sub yard

Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Glvincent

Dave,

I am very interested in this sub, but I read an online review that gives me some concern. You can find it [link=http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/06/review-swim-ways-rc-cyber-ray/]here.[/link]

The reviewer had two negative points: The short range (which you fixed by uncoiling the antenna) and the sub leaning or listing to the left side. Could the leaning have been caused by a water leak? Or maybe by one of the pods being out of adjustment?

I also have another question. You mention above that the propellor speed is variable, but is the angle of the pods also variable or are they just three-position (up, center, down)? If it is not variable, how do you keep the sub at a constant depth? I realize that it is built more for stunts but can it cruise as well?

I bet this sub would have more power and better range with high-capacity NiMH AA batteries, plus an even longer run time.

Finally, I want to say that the videos from Devil's Den are much better than the promotional one. The promo hardly showed it diving at all and had way too many cuts.

Thanks for your help - Greg