Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Trimming Out Twin Motors on an Aurora 9

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Whirligig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming Out Twin Motors on an Aurora 9

Hi,

My Aurora 9 was very easy to setup for a Fabco Tigercat parkflyer with twin electric motors. But there's a 200 to 300 rpm difference between the two motors that I'm trying to trim out. This difference appears from low to high thottle. What I would like to do is trim out the difference by assigning a trim tab to adjust the speed differential. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Whirligig
Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trimming Out Twin Motors on an Aurora 9

ORIGINAL: Whirligig Hi, My Aurora 9 was very easy to setup for a Fabco Tigercat parkflyer with twin electric motors. But there's a 200 to 300 rpm difference between the two motors that I'm trying to trim out. This difference appears from low to high thottle. What I would like to do is trim out the difference by assigning a trim tab to adjust the speed differential. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Whirligig
Use two separate ESC.
Settings> [MDL Type] > Single Engine.
Settings > [Channel] > Ch* (say5) > AUX1> Sel (switch):RT.
[Model] > [P.Mixes] > 1. ACT > Ch3 > Ch5 > [Select] Rate H: +100 > Rate L: +100 > switch G & T.App : ACT> end.

NB:Before Turning Model ON
Settings > [Model} > Monitor > (opens Monitor screen) and watch what happens when trims are adjusted.
RTprovides a much wider trim adjustment and user will need to observe overall effect on ESC .
Tie model down and range check running & trimming both motors to ensure operation is correct over full range. -
(caution Ver 1.03>1.06- throttle lock will not mix/work on auxCh....Aurora Version V1.07 fixes this problem with new [ThroLock] button = Settings>Model> 2/2[ThroLock] Switch:NULL >assign switch as above] All Aurora can be updated using HPP-22 refer FAQ.
Someprogrammable ESCunits may need throttle stick movement to be re-set.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Whirligig

Alan,

Thanks for the instructions. I will give this a try using the single engine mode with a program mix to, in my case, Ch 6.

I had my first flight with the Tigercat today using the just dual engine mode. The rpm difference did not exhibit any yaw problem that tI couldn't handle. However, using your method to get the motors perfect would help.

This radio is a lot of fun. I applied some aileron differential to the Tigercat to get rid of some adverse yaw and I ended up with some beautiful axial rolls.

Thanks again,

Whirligig
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Whirligig

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: Whirligig Hi, My Aurora 9 was very easy to setup for a Fabco Tigercat parkflyer with twin electric motors. But there's a 200 to 300 rpm difference between the two motors that I'm trying to trim out. This difference appears from low to high thottle. What I would like to do is trim out the difference by assigning a trim tab to adjust the speed differential. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Whirligig
Use two separate ESC.
Settings> [MDL Type] > Single Engine.
Settings > [Channel] > Ch* (say5) > AUX1> Sel (switch) :RT.
[Model] > [P.Mixes] > 1. ACT > Ch3 > Ch5 > [Select] > switch G & T.App : ACT> end.

NB: Before Turning Model ON
Settings > [Model} > Monitor > (opens Monitor screen) and watch what happens when trims are adjusted.
RT provides a much wider trim adjustment and user will need to observe overall effect on ESC .
Tie model down and range check running & trimming both motors to ensure operation is correct over full range.
Many programmable units may need throttle stick movement to be re-set.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.

Alan,

I needed to revise the step in red from your instructions and that is to change the H: Rate and L: Rate to +100 while in the P.mixes. Without that, the rates to the program mixes are initially zero and in Monitor mode there is no response from Ch 6 until a rate value is put in. This really had me stumped until I figured it out. Here's the revised step:

Revised Step: [Model] > [P.Mixes] > 1. ACT > Ch3 > Ch5 > [Select] > Rate H: +100 > Rate L: +100 > switch G & T.App : ACT> end.

Thanks,

Whirligig
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Whirligig Alan, I needed to revise the step in red from your instructions and that is to change the H: Rate and L: Rate to +100 while in the P.mixes. Without that, the rates to the program mixes are initially zero and in Monitor mode there is no response from Ch 6 until a rate value is put in. This really had me stumped until I figured it out. Here's the revised step:
Revised Step: [Model] > [P.Mixes] > 1. ACT > Ch3 > Ch5 > [Select] > Rate H: +100 > Rate L: +100 > switch G & T.App : ACT> end.
Thanks, Whirligig
You are correct, did that as an automatic reaction when mixing andoverlooked the necessity fortyping that action into above post - now corrected as linked on FAQ page for others....

Thanks
Alan.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Whirligig

Alan,

I tried both methods for twins i.e. using A9's twin engine setup and your P.Mix instruction for mixing Ch 3 & 6. The latter worked best for throttle response and motor trimming but the Throttle Lock feature does not work on 2nd motor on Ch 6. The former has no motor trimming and there's a slight delay in the 2nd motor on Ch 6 from zero to low throttle. The delay is less than a second.

I have each method set up on its own model so I can try to solve the throttle delay with the twin engine setup and the Throttle Lock issue using the P.Mix setup. None of these issues I found detracted from the Tigercat's flight performance. Throttle response for hovering a twin engine foamie is kind of neat. The lack of Throttle Lock on Ch 6 is a safety issue.

Whirligig
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Whirligig Alan, I tried both methods for twins i.e. using A9's twin engine setup and your P.Mix instruction for mixing Ch 3 & 6. The latter worked best for throttle response and motor trimming but the Throttle Lock feature does not work on 2nd motor on Ch 6. The former has no motor trimming and there's a slight delay in the 2nd motor on Ch 6 from zero to low throttle. The delay is less than a second.
I have each method set up on its own model so I can try to solve the throttle delay with the twin engine setup and the Throttle Lock issue using the P.Mix setup. None of these issues I found detracted from the Tigercat's flight performance. Throttle response for hovering a twin engine foamie is kind of neat. The lack of Throttle Lock on Ch 6 is a safety issue. Whirligig
Tks, will addrequest that, any channel 100% mixed to throttlealso has lock applied to that channel, to software update list .

Alan T.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
leiffk

I think the trimming can be accomplished, but I have one more desire that is to couple the motors to the rudder for taxing ( especially on water ) Any help is appreciated
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: leiffk I think the trimming can be accomplished, but I have one more desire that is to couple the motors to the rudder for taxing
( especially on water ) Any help is appreciated
Similar to:
Aurora 9 - Airbrakes -Twin Rudder set up. posts 4503 & 4504 e.g. Stryker 27Q & Funjet mode 1&2 setup & Zip files

Alan T.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

I tried the P-mix method outlined above, worked OK.. I'll have a look at the twin engine option.

Thanks,

CR