Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

New to RC cars and starting with a Drift car

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

New to RC cars and starting with a Drift car

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Buntinboy9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC cars and starting with a Drift car

OK first of all is there a link that anyone knows of that I can start to read on how these things work and what the do's and dont's about getting parts, etc? As well as a link that would teach me what in the world an esc is and what are the benefits of having a brushless motor and pros and cons? I work on real cars and am experienced in replacing everything on my car so dont be afraid to get too technical.

Second:this is the car that I just recently bought.

http://www.exceedrc.com/exdrrtrrecoe.html#buyitnow

I am looking to upgrade the battery on it and this is what it looks like I might get from looking and searching on a few forums
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2147160

I notice that the connectors are different. Is there an adapter that I can purchase or should I cut and re-soulder the connections?

Last and not least are there any upgrades that you guys would recommend me doing as a beginner in this field?

I will be looking up some tire options for my car (drift and regular tire set ups) and will probably be purchasing sets of rims that I can change between drift tires and regular tires.

Thanks again for all of the help

Chris
Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 PM
leadfootdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to RC cars and starting with a Drift car

That's a good beginner chassis that works well good luck and happy drifting
Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
phucknay
My Feedback: (1)

i have a tto1 and have just bought two of the drift star exceed rc one 2.4 and one am band and both are good quality as long as the parts supply can hold up seems to be a great car . metal drive train adjustable and also droop , oil filled ( although non threaded ) seem to work well .
compaired to the tto1 i like the exceed much better .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46464.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1462552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91245.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1462553  
Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
rippnlip

Nice car, I am not sure if that battery is much of an upgrade. Did that car come with a battery, and if so how many MAH is it. Maybe switch over to "deans" plugs allthe way around. Have fun!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:03 PM
phucknay

one is 2.4 g rtr with 1800 mah nimph the other is exactly the same ( except body and not 2.4 g )

one with am cost with shipping 103.63
one with 2.4 cost with shipping 113.63 both rtr a price that simply cant be beat even for an entry leavel chassis .
option parts - bling are available
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Buntinboy9

ya its 1800 Mah and I think I might buy that one from radio shack.... but does anyone know how to convert one of these to where it will take a "deans" type plug (whatever that is?)
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 AM
gokemidoro

Buntinboy9,

Dean's are "no-loss" connectors, meaning they don't have much (if any) resistance. If you have a hobby shop near, check them out if they stock them, or go to Tower hobbies.com and see what they look like. Traxxas plugs are similar. It's a simple matter to desolder the Exceed plugs, and solder on the new ones. EC3's are easier to solder, in my opinion, which is why I use them. The plugs on Exceed batteries and ESC's are non-industry standard, so you will want to change them out for some that has industry support, meaning you can get components that will fit your car just about anywhere. If you decide to upgrade your power system, it will be easier, as well.
Have you tried looking up Venom's 5000MaH 2s hardcase lipo? They're about $45.00 and have a "universal" connector w/ changeable plugs to fit Dean's, Traxxas, EC3, and Tamiya, all included. The boost you'll get from lipo will be worth the investment. Of course, you'll have to get a good lipo charger for it, also.

As for tires, look up Raikou drift tires. They're excellent drift tires that are VERY inexpensive! You can get 3 completesets (12 tires)for the price of other manufacturer's one pair! They make DXPE's and Dyuaros. I have both, and prefer the DXPE's, since I run asphalt mostly.

If you have the cash, try an aftermarket radio, like a Spektrum DX3R/E or Airtronics. It will allow you to "tailor" your power delivery. Makes a big difference,if you change surfaces you drift on.

Hope this helped!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
jowilson275

Okay, so the little white-ish clear plug on the radioshack battery is called a Tamiya connector. Garbage for high amp aplications.they are rated at 100amps but typically only hold up to 80. just get a pair of wire cutters and cut ONE WIRE at a time so you dont get a spark across the positive and negative wire. then just re-solder the wires to a Deans connector. If you dont have the things needed to do this or dont know how, some LHS's (Local Hobby Shop) will do it for you.

Yes, Traxxas has universal plugs on a lot of their Lipo batteries.But with lipo batteries, you must have a lipo charger and cell block balancer. If you improperly charge a lipo and then use it, it will swell up like a balloon and catch on fire. Causing you plastic chassis Drift Star to melt to the ground. AND your stock esc has no lipo cut-off so you will ruin your lipo if you discharge the cells lower than 3.7v per cell.

Starting out, I recommend sticking with NIMH batteries. you can charge em hundreds of times and each time drain them til they no longer move you car.

Now as far as the parts supply is concerned, Redcat, Exceed, Himoto, and HSP all use the very same chinese supplier for their parts. meaning, if your 1/10 scale Exceed car has a part broken than exceed is out of stock on, go to Redcat and get a part that fits their Lightning. Or go to Himoto or HSP. Too easy.

Iused to have a Drift Star and i upgraded everything to aluminum. I got bored with it and made it a Redcat Vortex Short Course truck. I bought Bigger/ Longer control arms, shock towers, shocks, turnbuckles, drive shafts, and wheels. Ta Da! Its a truck that i can take off road and jump stuff with.

But if your going to stick with drifting, pull apart your REAR differential and pull out the gear. pull out the four little black screws making sure not to lose them. pull it open and inside there will be two sets of spider gears, pull em out and wipe them clean with a paper towel. put them back in and FILL EVERY little nook and cranny with hot glue. Quickly screw the bevel gear back in with the four little black screws and let it cool for 30 minutes to harden. You now have a locked rear diff. GREAT for drifting.

I have extra parts that will fit the drift star.i will sell to the highest bidder.

Threaded Aluminum Bodied Shocks
Aluminum Control arms
Aluminum Turnbuckles
Aluminum Shock Towers
Aluminum 12mm Hex nuts
Drift star wheels- slightly used- brush painted black with a chrome lip
(Some parts are purple and some are a darker purple, Different name brands will do that if you dont pick the right color)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47158.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1465470  
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
gokemidoro

jowilson275,

Thanks for the correction on the lipos. Forgot about voltage cutoffs (I've been running lipos for so long, I forget other folk don't yet use them) Don't want to give bunk info.

BTW, just a heads-up, might want to watch the sell thing......a moderator warns against that.

I like your tagline. I'm a two-time Iraq war vet, myself.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 PM
jowilson275

Yeah, i understand. i use lipos on all my stuff but i also have brushless setups so i need the lipos for the amps.

Thanks for the heads up on the selling thing. i was unaware of that. ill edit the post.

I am aslo a vet of OIF 08-09. Thank you for your service.

And yes, my quote rocks.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 PM
gokemidoro

Hey, thanks for that. I tried my best to keep my kids safe and bring them home. Wasn't successful but most came home. I retired, anda fewof them went to Afghanistan. I hope they come home safe.

Thank you for YOUR service! You were counted on, and made a difference. Let no one tell you otherwise. You are a brother.

Anyway........You don't drift anymore? Tried tandem? I'm all alone, here where I live, but NY should have a following. There are a few from NY on this forum.

buntinboy9,

Locking your rear diff as jowilson275 says is good advice. Makes the car turn-in MUCH easier. Check out Raikou drift tires, as well. they're the best for the price, and long-lasting, too! I've got two drifters, an HPI Sprint 2 and an Ofna JL-10 touring I modded for drift, and both wear Raikous'. We just had a heat snap here, and the Raikous' performance is so predictable, I didn't notice a change, even though the asphalt got markedly hotter!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 AM
jowilson275

Enlisted or Commisioned?

Either way, i am sorry to hear of any loss you may have felt was your fault or yourself or loved ones had to suffer.

i was onlyan E-5 in Iraq and one of my guys got effed up. i felt at fault for several months til igot back state side and was able to see clearly and to see him and his family, whoassured me that there was nothing that i could have changed.

i commend you for serving a full 20 +. i would have loved to do the same because i loved what i did in weapons squad but my wife didnt want to deal with the stress anymore.women ( for the most part ) handle stress differently. i felt comfortable andconfident in my environment and wanted to go to afghanistan but after my deployment to Iraq, the Mrs' gave me an ultimatum. so in order to respect her wishes, i did not re-up.

I actually didnt start with drift in mind. i started out watching Nick Case's vids on youtube and wanting to shoot for the stars until i realized the resources required. lol. so now, i have a Team Academy STR-4 Pro 2 that has adamn near perfect set up for drift. the only problem i am trying to work out is that the chassis was introduced in early 2000 and the light weight aluminum driveshaft cannot handle my Xcelorin 3.5t Sensored Brushless. so i keep turning my center shaft into a banana due to the torque. so its going to be a bit more tuning and trial and error for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 AM
gokemidoro

Enlisted. E-7.

Writing the families of the fallen was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I had to retire....PTSD. All in all, I did 27 years. Still, I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. Being a grunt was a blast, for the most part!
I hear you about the missus. I'm not married myself, buta few of my kids were, and I see what you mean. I commend you for thinking about her.

LOL! I started the same as you......Youtube vids! Of course, those "Fast and Furious" films helped too, especially "Tokyo Drift". One of my next bodies will be a Mustang (I'm such a twit for American Muscle) painted up like the one in the film. The other is a modern Mustang I'm thinking of painting up like one of the cars in the XBox game "Split Second". I wishe I had the capability to post photos, then all can laugh at my feeble attempts at painting!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 AM
kstmRYD

jowilson275 - we have a very large Drift RC Club in Staten Island, we have our own track on the beach. A group that meet with us from the bronx just opened up their own track in the bronx. Check us out at www.hyperdrift.com in the New York City section, you may have to register to access. We meet almost every Saturday for drift competitions which are promoted by SIRCCC and sponsored by HPI, Monster Drinks and others. Several drift teams meet there like, Team Raikou, SDC (scavanger drift crew) from the bronx and all the members from SIRCCC. One of our members is ex Marine, a really nice guy, in fact all the guys who come out are good people, all out to have fun, talk teck about the cars and help each other to become better drifters. Check us out, you will not be disappointed, especially if you are starting out, all these guys have a lot of knowledge and hands on experience with cars and parts, the forums are nice but they don't come close to these guys who spend countless hours drifting, tweaking and swapping parts.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
jowilson275

kstmRYD - thanksa lot for the invite. i will be sure to check it out. i just moved to ny on the 14th of last month from FT Riley, Kansas. it sounds a bit out of my league concidering i am not exactly the most experienced rc drifter. but i suppose it wouldnt hurt to at least check it out.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
KintoJin

jowilson275-

We all started out beginners so its no issue at all, doesn't matter the skill level. What matters is that you enjoy doing it and that you are learning. Its always a nice experience to see new people coming into the drift scene and sacrificing time and money to do what you like. In no time you will definitely become a great drifter.. all it takes it practice!

Gokemidoro-san

I sent you an email.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM
phucknay

ORIGINAL: jowilson275

Okay, so the little white-ish clear plug on the radioshack battery is called a Tamiya connector. Garbage for high amp aplications. they are rated at 100amps but typically only hold up to 80. just get a pair of wire cutters and cut ONE WIRE at a time so you dont get a spark across the positive and negative wire. then just re-solder the wires to a Deans connector. If you dont have the things needed to do this or dont know how, some LHS's (Local Hobby Shop) will do it for you.

Yes, Traxxas has universal plugs on a lot of their Lipo batteries. But with lipo batteries, you must have a lipo charger and cell block balancer. If you improperly charge a lipo and then use it, it will swell up like a balloon and catch on fire. Causing you plastic chassis Drift Star to melt to the ground. AND your stock esc has no lipo cut-off so you will ruin your lipo if you discharge the cells lower than 3.7v per cell.

Starting out, I recommend sticking with NIMH batteries. you can charge em hundreds of times and each time drain them til they no longer move you car.

Now as far as the parts supply is concerned, Redcat, Exceed, Himoto, and HSP all use the very same chinese supplier for their parts. meaning, if your 1/10 scale Exceed car has a part broken than exceed is out of stock on, go to Redcat and get a part that fits their Lightning. Or go to Himoto or HSP. Too easy.

I used to have a Drift Star and i upgraded everything to aluminum. I got bored with it and made it a Redcat Vortex Short Course truck. I bought Bigger/ Longer control arms, shock towers, shocks, turnbuckles, drive shafts, and wheels. Ta Da! Its a truck that i can take off road and jump stuff with.

But if your going to stick with drifting, pull apart your REAR differential and pull out the gear. pull out the four little black screws making sure not to lose them. pull it open and inside there will be two sets of spider gears, pull em out and wipe them clean with a paper towel. put them back in and FILL EVERY little nook and cranny with hot glue. Quickly screw the bevel gear back in with the four little black screws and let it cool for 30 minutes to harden. You now have a locked rear diff. GREAT for drifting.

I have extra parts that will fit the drift star. i will sell to the highest bidder.

Threaded Aluminum Bodied Shocks
Aluminum Control arms
Aluminum Turnbuckles
Aluminum Shock Towers
Aluminum 12mm Hex nuts
Drift star wheels- slightly used- brush painted black with a chrome lip
(Some parts are purple and some are a darker purple, Different name brands will do that if you dont pick the right color)

how much you looking to get for the parts ?? pm with info please . thank you .
Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
jowilson275

your "permission settings" wont allow me to pm you