Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Campstove Fuel & Synthetic Lubricant - Best Available?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Campstove Fuel & Synthetic Lubricant - Best Available?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM
tennessee_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Campstove Fuel & Synthetic Lubricant - Best Available?

I'm getting a new WH boat with a Zenoah M5 motor in it and would like to know what the best campstove fuel and synthetic lubricant might be?I want to feed my new baby the best possible diet.

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Campstove Fuel & Synthetic Lubricant - Best Available?

While I use exclusively Coleman and Ozark camp fuel along with a Synthetic castor blend - it is not what I would recommend for a new motor. Synthetic oils take considerably longer to break in a motor - perhaps 4 or 5 times. Also - White gas gives no plug color to read. There is virtually no deposits within the motor to speak of.
If you want to do it right I would start with a gallon of 87 octane and a quality (Brand name) two stroke oil mixed 8oz to a gallon (aim for a 20:1 mix). It should take a gallon or two of fuel to fully break in the motor (Depending on how you drive etc). Aim to run the motor slightly on the rich side until you have broken her in. Nothing wrong with a motor running a little rich.
Do a little research on reading plug color also - once you have the motor running right with gas you can switch to white gas (No adjustments necessary). I believe Tony will provide instructions with your boat on tuning etc though it should be pretty close out of the box.

Once using white gas (if that is the route you want to go) use 8oz of quality oil (as mentioned - I use a synthetic/castor blend from a motor bike shop).
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll get a lot of opinions on what the best 2-stroke oil is. I've been using Honda HP-2 but also have some Amsoil Sabre on hand. Some prefer Mercury synthetic.
Like Matt said, run it first with gas and a regular oil mix to get it broken in and the carb dialed. Tony's (WHH) an Amsoil dealer so you can always get it from him or look up a dealer locally. Honda and Mercury oils are at the obvious places. A bottle of HP-2 will do 2 gallons of gas.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
tennessee_

Is it a mistake to use the low octane Coleman fuel for any reason.

As far as pump gas goes, what brand should I get, is Ethanol ok or should I avoid it, where can I get gas without Ethanol in it, what is the best pump gas to use?

Thank you.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: tennessee_

Is it a mistake to use the low octane Coleman fuel for any reason.

As far as pump gas goes, what brand should I get, is Ethanol ok or should I avoid it, where can I get gas without Ethanol in it, what is the best pump gas to use?

Thank you.
edit - I read your post wrong and jumped the gun - sorry [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Ron Olson

Matt, I'm still trying to decipher what he said there. Was it a typo or asking whether or not it's a bad idea to use Coleman fuel in anything.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
painman

I think what they were saying was it is better to use the regular gas and regular two stroke oil like Quick Silver only for break in. The 87 octane will allow you to read the plug for setting carb, Quick Silver does a better job allowing the motor to break in.
Then switch to the camp fuel and one of the good synthetics and use 8-10oz per gal. of fuel.
The problem with the gas is the ethenal now added, ruins the carbs.
Good luck;
Randy
Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
tennessee_

Will one break-in gallon of ethanol ruin the carb? Is regular pump gas without ethanol available from a brand name station, I'm in the east Tennessee area?

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Ron Olson

You'd have to check the pumps as they should have something on there which states that their gas contains ethanol. It's not just us with the little boats either, ethanol is wreaking havok on full-sized boats.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
cheesewizz69

Well folks ethanol gas is here to stay and if they have there way we will see the percentage content increase. Some good news "the EPA has decided that more testing is needed before a final decision will be made. It wants to further test the possible side effects of running an E15 blend in modern vehicles. Reports have surfaced claiming that E15 could ultimately damage modern engines and the EPA understandably doesn't want to make a choice that could leave us stranded by the roadside. When will the EPA decide on E15? The decision was supposed to come last December, then it was moved to this June. Now, who knows?"

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/21...-more-testing/

Try using this site to locate a ethanol-free station near you. http://www.pure-gas.org/ but your best bet is going to be a Marina.

If you do use the ethanol diluted gas make sure to fog your engine with WD40 it seems to keep the diaphram from warping for some folks. I go thru the extra step of removing the carb diaphram after each days use when I ran the stuff.

Leo
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 PM
tennessee_

Luck of the Irish hit me today.

I found an independent station a couple of miles away that had Ethanol free 93 octane and I bought a gallon to try out. I hope 93 octane is ok for the Zenoah?

Thanks a lot for the Pure Gas website!

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
danielplace

Some interesting reading about ethanol in our fuel,
Not part of any coalition it just had some interesting info and how it particularly specifies what engines it should not be used in.

Could be considered somewhat political I guess, if it is out of line please remove.

http://www.e0pc.com/TN.php
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Ron Olson

You only need 87 octane but as you've found out, most regular unleaded gas has ethanol in it so you have to go to mid or premium to get away from it.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
danielplace

99% of all grades in Florida are at least 10% ethanol blended fuels. Bummer.

Glad we have a local VP station that has plenty of non ethanol race fuels. The go kart guy's ensure he always has plenty in stock for us boaters, too.

They have MS-93 which is a good choice as is the new small engine fuel designed just for small engines, the SEF-94 check out the video you'll be sold of coarse none is inexpensive. Race fuels start at 5 gallon cans for $60 and go up to $135 for MR-9 oxygenated fuels which ironically are usually oxygenated with ethanol.

Even at $60 for 5 gallons and enough Maxima 927 Castor/Synthetic blend oil costing $35 you have $95 in a little over 5 1/2 gallons of ready to use fuel. That works out to $17.27 per gallon. The good stuff don't come cheap.

SEF 94
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/sef-94.html

video,
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/sef-94-video.html
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
tennessee_

The 93 octane ethanol free gas I bought works really good.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Ron Olson

If and when you switch over to camp fuel, check around. I got mine at Wal-mart but I heard but haven't checked out Gander Mountain as supposedly they have it cheaper. Any other outdoor/camping supply store could have deals on it also.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Firemandan

I took my hydroplane out Saturday and ran camp stove gas with 8 oz of blendzall. By the time I was done, oil was pouring out the end of my exhaust pipe. I am thinking it may be too much. I think I am going to try 4 oz of oil this next gallon......[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 07-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Firemandan

I took my hydroplane out Saturday and ran camp stove gas with 8 oz of blendzall. By the time I was done, oil was pouring out the end of my exhaust pipe. I am thinking it may be too much. I think I am going to try 4 oz of oil this next gallon......[sm=71_71.gif]
i would be very reluctant to halve the amount of oil. At the very least i would consider 6oz. Oil is there to protect - You do not want to cross the expensive line between protection and damage.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM
sportster445

I don't post much but, If you run Coleman i.e. Latern fuel. Just run your boat up to temp 8-10 hard laps. Not allways gunna happen first time you do,but you will be able to read the plug color. Come in at full speed and KILL THE MOTOR......Pull the plug and read it. Worked great in my dirtbike days and still works today.
7oz. Amsoil Dom. 2 Campfuel. Still running G2D's from the 80's
Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
chief3452

I realize this topic has been discussed to death, but thought I would add my $.02 anyway. I'll say this first, I have a sport boat with a stock Zenoah so my setup is not on the ragged edge of performance, by any means. I've been using Mercury Quicksilver, but I'm going to switch to Pennzoil. Below are some links you might find interesting reading. The ultralight A/C enthusiasts are pretty serious about their oil, for good reason. Enjoy.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

http://www.challengers101.com/EngineOils.html
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: chief3452
Below are some links you might find interesting reading. The ultralight A/C enthusiasts are pretty serious about their oil, for good reason. Enjoy.
Comparing Ultralight aircraft oil requirements with those of boats (of any size) is unwise.

Aircraft spend little time under full load and turn significantly less RPM. Compare an RC Aircraft Zenoah power output and RPM with a Mod Marine Zenoah and you get some idea of what we ask of these little motors - and we typically run at full throttle more often than not (some times from launch to recovery).

Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM
chief3452

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: chief3452
Below are some links you might find interesting reading. The ultralight A/C enthusiasts are pretty serious about their oil, for good reason. Enjoy.
Comparing Ultralight aircraft oil requirements with those of boats (of any size) is unwise.

Aircraft spend little time under full load and turn significantly less RPM. Compare an RC Aircraft Zenoah power output and RPM with a Mod Marine Zenoah and you get some idea of what we ask of these little motors - and we typically run at full throttle more often than not (some times from launch to recovery).

No doubt, comparing a modified line trimmer engine to an ultralight A/C engine would be foolish. However, in the first link, they ran the test engines at cruise power (5800 rpm) for 47 minutes 280 times, which is less than 10% off full power rpm of 6300. While not the 18k+ rpm seen from a mod Zenoah, I'd still consider that severe duty. The point I was trying to make was the oil's ability to both protect and run clean. The pictures showed the "red" Pennzoil outboard oil was much cleaner burning than the conventional and synthetic brands and the fact that it's ashless with a TC-W3 rating is an added bonus. These oil threads always become a tug of war of opinions, but the exchanges are always informative, for sure. btw, knowing your reputation as an avid gas boating enthusiast, I would be very interested in what brand of oil you recommend.