Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

i need suspension and drivetrain advice, settup and modding. brushless rustler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

i need suspension and drivetrain advice, settup and modding. brushless rustler

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 AM
hillbilie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need suspension and drivetrain advice, settup and modding. brushless rustler

ok so my xl5 rusty is finally at a performance level that i am happy with, power wise. its got a hobbywing 60amp esc and 8.5T brushless. in a few days it will all be running on 5000mah 2s 40c lipo packs.
now i want to start building the chassis, drivetrain, and suspension up to Reliably handle the power and bashing abuse. i need your guys advice and input on some things. first of i am going for 99% performance function. if it blings thats cool, but i wont sacrafice any performance gains for bling. i am not specifically trying to go " all aluminuim" like a lot of people on here do. i want to build a very good handling and strong rusty.

if anything sounds like a bad idea, or if a part i want is going to hurt performance let me know. im not going to get butthurt cuz someone shoots down my idea. i want the criticism and debates to find the best stuff.

ok so first off chassis? what are you guys running for rusty chassis? is the stock unit plenty or should i upgrade?

for controll arms i would like to go a little wider, maybe aluminum if they are better or plastic is fine. are the rpm arms the best or is there something better?

i have had mip cvd's on some other rc's and liked them alot, how are they on a brushless rusty, anyone running them?

i deffinatly want to go with real bearings all the way around, with some nice hub/bearing carriers. whats the best?

whats the best shock setup that dosent cost an arm and a leg, hows the traxxas big bores?

crap its hella late and i need to crash, so i will continue this in the morning. but you guys get the idea of what im trying to do. i know there are hundreds of badass rustys on here. i tried gathering the info through search and on the official rusty forum i just find myself reading through billions of post to get to any good info. and i am trying to be a little smarter about picking good performance parts then the people that just go out and buy $300 worth of integy crap lol.

so if we could get a little discussion going about rusty drivetrain and suspension modding, maby get some links and pics going, i would apreciate the help alot guys. and like i say i wouldnt need any help if i was just going full integy aluminum. but i want to know what other serious offroad rustlers are running, and what works good. thanks again

Old 07-10-2010, 07:20 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: i need suspension and drivetrain advice, settup and modding. brushless rustler

ok so first off chassis? what are you guys running for rusty chassis? is the stock unit plenty or should i upgrade? The stock chassis is very strong and there is NO reason to switch to anything else.

for controll arms i would like to go a little wider, maybe aluminum if they are better or plastic is fine. are the rpm arms the best or is there something better? - You are on the right track. Stick with Plastic. Alum only transfer any shock to the next weakest part. Not to mention it adds a ton of unwanted and unnecessary weight. RPM makes some of the best parts on the market but they are standard width which I personally like. The biggest improvement you can make to a rustlers suspension is to add the Proline ProTrac kit designed for the Slash. If you use stock rear wheels on all 4 corners the truck will pretty much keep it's stock width but you have the option of running the front wheels on all 4 corners and making the truck wider. The Protrac kit also gives the rusty the one thing it seriously needs and that is toe in on the rear wheels.

i have had mip cvd's on some other rc's and liked them alot, how are they on a brushless rusty, anyone running them. Stick with the stock Traxxas sliders. The torque of a brushless setup will destroy the MIP's in just a few runs. They might live a little while if you run 2S but on 3S thet don't have a chance. Ask me how I know this.

i deffinatly want to go with real bearings all the way around, with some nice hub/bearing carriers. whats the best? The stock traxxas VXL bearings are fine as long as you don't run the truck in snow or water they will last a long time. As for the carriers. If you go with the Protrac kit it comes with rear carriers so all you will need to do is swap the fronts. Again the RPM parts are about the best you can buy. This is the ONE and only area that I feel alum is acceptiable. If you feel the need to spend the cash on an alum part then front carriers is the place to do it. Myself I would stick with RPM

whats the best shock setup that dosent cost an arm and a leg, hows the traxxas big bores? - Stock works great and the big bores are no better. If you really want to settle the truck down then a set of slash springs and some heavier weight oil is what you're after. I run 40Wt oil in the rear and 50wt in the front shocks on my race rusty with the slash springs and it's just plan planted. IF you have problems with shock caps popping off then the alum big bore shock caps will fix the problem.

As you have noticed people tend to spend money on unnecessary items just to say they have them. 90% of the stock traxxas stuff is fine and you would be hard pressed to break it. The only thing i would add to the list above is tires. Depending on what you want to do with you truck you'll want to get a good set of tires from someone like Proline. You won't realize how bad the stock tires are unit you drive on a set of soft race or street tires.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: i need suspension and drivetrain advice, settup and modding. brushless rustler

Sorry guys. Double post..... Still having my first cup of coffee