Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Basic Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Langster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Question

Hi,

I have recently stripped the gears on a Kyosho speedboat and thought that I'd change the driveshaft to a direct drive system. I have a solid driveshaft that I could use but wondered what type of glue I'd use between the outer cover of the driveshaft and the hull?

Thanks for any replies.

Lang

Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 AM
BlueWave

Default RE: Basic Question

I did the same thing I had an old jetstream with a .10 in, swapped it out to a .28 direct drive. goes like stink. (well overpowered )

I just used some fibre glass resin from the auto parts store, mixed in with the glue I just added some chopped strand mat. clean the surface well, scratch it up a bit works fine.

for the engine mount I just screwed the engine staraight to a couple of blocks of wood and glassed them in also.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Langster

Hi BlueWave,

Thanks for your tip. When you say that you mixed the fibre glass resin with the glue, what glue are you referring to?

Thanks

Lang
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
BlueWave

sorry I meant resin when I reffered glue. I cut up some mat to mix in with the resin and appied that. usally you apply the resin over the mat etc. but the auto store mat is often quite thick, so hence I just shread some up.

If you want absolte best fix then an epoxy resin with a filler mix or a piece of glass cloth. But not always easy to come by in your local hobby shop. (and more dosh)

I just had some auto body store resin and some chop strand mat hanging around so used these. worked fine.

I have changed the prop tube position a couple of times on mine!, if you have a large hole you may want to just put a piece of tape on the bottom of the hull to stop the resin from draining out the bottom. without a pic hard to say the best best fix, I'm no master builder but should work out fine for ya..

what kyosho is it.?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Langster

OK, thanks.

On the stand it refers to a Kyosho JetStream 800. Does that mean anything to you?

Lang
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 AM
BlueWave

yeh wicked little toy boat.. got identical. They must be like 15 years old?

repainted it, repowered it (way over powered it with a .28) I replaced the prop shaft with a complete new one, coupling also had to change for fitting to the MDS 28 engine.
also added a stainless prop [sm=shades_smile.gif] still running the steerable outdrive.

All your standard hobby shop stuff... except prop can not remember where I got that from now.

Had great time with it, sunk it endless times, barrel rolled, spin out on corners..... Remember to put some floatation up the front!!!!

With the stock .10 keeps it within the operating limits. With the .28 you need to go real easy on the throttle on corners... Man I remember the fun I had, u make want to get it out the cupboard again.

Happy rebuild, hope it gives you great time as it did me!

adam.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Langster

Yeah I thought that the boat was pretty old. Once I get the motor and the direct drive shaft installed I think I'll put its classification as experimental as it was fast enough with the geared drive, so I imagine ballistic with 1:1 ratio!

Thanks again.

Lang