Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Hyperion Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Hyperion Floats

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Combat 20
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion Floats

I have a set of Hyperion 680 mm foam floats which I intend to mount on a Stevens AeroModel XS480. I realize the floats are originally meant for light foamies, and as such, are particularly light. I am concerned about:

a. the strength of the mounts,
b. if the mounts should be covered with fiberglass or Econokote to prevent the floats from absorbing water,
c. and is a water rudder necessary for aircraft control.

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience with these floats.

My current thoughts are to replace the straw landing gear mounts with brass tubing, reinforce the straw\brass area with a block of balsa, and to run a carbon fiber spar along the length of the float (topside, front to back).

For those who are wondering, the XS480 has a wingspan of 47 in, length is 41 in, and flying weight is advertised as 24 oz.

Thanks Much!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hyperion Floats

They're a little small for the plane.  I figured they should be good for a plane about 36" long.  Your plane is 41" long.