Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

"Imperial" Knight Twister

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

"Imperial" Knight Twister

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "Imperial" Knight Twister

MAN did a build on this model in the 80's. I think 85?

Anyone ever build this airplane?

I know there's glass parts, but what about a glass fuselage?

Anyone cutting the short kit? Costs?

Thanks

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69102.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1197522  
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Imperial" Knight Twister

Charles,

The Knight Twister was featured in the September and October 1985 issues of MAN. First month had details of the full size - including a very good 3-view drawing - and the second month was the plan/construction article for Dan Santich's 1/3 scale model.

Ray

Name:	Qo39463.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1197768  
Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 AM
ron9844
My Feedback: (65)

Could someone post the construction article.

Ron
Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM
planeman40

I have a nice set of plans for the Knight Twister. It is a 30 in. span U- Control version from an old Air Trails magazine. The structure would convert nicely to RC. The plans are restored and are digitized in high resolution .PDF format. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and be sure to mention Knight Twister plans and I'll send them back by e-mail. I will also include a nice 3-view in a separate file.

Planeman
Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charles,

The Knight Twister was featured in the September and October 1985 issues of MAN. First month had details of the full size - including a very good 3-view drawing - and the second month was the plan/construction article for Dan Santich's 1/3 scale model.

Ray

Attachments
If I'm not mistaken, I've got these plans stashed away some where. Ray, could you send me the article if you have it? TIA!

FB
Old 05-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Avaiojet

Default RE:

Anyone know what was on the cover?

I may have that magazine?

I also may be incorrect on the date, I was actually told that? I should have made mentioned of it. Sorryif that issue and date are wrong,

Charles
Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 AM
RFJ

Default RE: RE:

Anyone know what was on the cover?
Charles - this was

Ray

Name:	Ca82605.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	1200064  
Old 05-17-2009, 06:34 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE:

All,

I have the plans and the construction article. I you will pm me with your e-mail addresses I will forward the pdf files, about 8 pages if I recall correctly. Most of the article preaches light, light  and more lightness! I have the plans and have considered building this plane. Cowl is available from a couple of different sources, check Fiberglass Specialties and I have forgotten the others. Construction is very old style and looks to be a rather heavy build. New ideas may lighten it up a bit. A lot of fiberglass mesh sheet used in place of plywood, not even sure if the product mentioned in the plans is available any more.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Avaiojet

RFJ,

Thanks for placing the photo of that issue.

I will look and see if I have it.

Thanks!

Charles
Old 05-30-2009, 09:20 AM
eagledancer

Default RE:

i have this plane, i did not build it. was built as to the plans and yes it is a heavy plane mine is 18 lbs. quadra 42 for power. if i was to build it today i sure would change the build to lighten it up alot. lands quite fast. when you build it make sure you change where the wheels are located move them forward about 1 1/2 inches or she will nose over on grass.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

http://www.steenaero.com/KnightTwister/
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 PM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

I've got the kit, wood, had it cut a few years ago by I believe kit cutters was kinda pricey @ $ 325.00 but was laser cut and it looks great! just the formers ribs fusealage sides, and other odd shaped pieces. 72" W.S. i'm thinking. will get to it one day. Pete
Old 07-11-2009, 10:39 PM
bps

ORIGINAL: bps

All,

I have the plans and the construction article. I you will pm me with your e-mail addresses I will forward the pdf files, about 8 pages if I recall correctly. Most of the article preaches light, light and more lightness! I have the plans and have considered building this plane. Cowl is available from a couple of different sources, check Fiberglass Specialties and I have forgotten the others. Construction is very old style and looks to be a rather heavy build. New ideas may lighten it up a bit. A lot of fiberglass mesh sheet used in place of plywood, not even sure if the product mentioned in the plans is available any more.

I need to clairify that I only have the Construction Article that I can send. Anyone wanting plans would need to purchase a set. When I purchased my plans I did not receive a Construction Article and some one sent me a copy. Just trying to help out any plans owners that do not have this. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 AM
bps

Would anyone have a copy of the article containing the documentation for this plane? I am currently building it and would love to have that documentation.
Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

There actually are several plans on the Knight over the years. Mine is from American Modeler of the 1960's and got a similar one via Air Progress of the late 1950's.

Wm.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
bps

I am actualy looking for the Modle Airplane News article from Sept of 1985.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 AM
ALW Phantom
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE:

PM sent !
Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 AM
bps

pm replied to and thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM
jaymen

Default RE:

In 1978, we went to an EAA fly-in at Marana Air Park in Arizona. In one of the hangers, there was a Knight Twister. At the time, I was 5 foot nine, and weighed about 140 pounds, but there was no way I could get into that plane, it was really small!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
6LQQKR2
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE:

If my memory serves me correctly the year was 1983 that I scratch built the 1/3 scale Knight Twister. It was built from Dan Santich's plans. It was an easy build with the fuselage structure literally being built in your hands. The fuselage came out absolutely straight with no building jigs required to do so. I was truly amazed by this. Mine was powered with a Saito 270 on gas/oil mix with a CH Ignition by Bill Carpenter of Riverton, Wy. Take offs were short with no lack of power and it would climb out like a homesick angel. It was a great flyer with no bad habits. Flew like it was on rails and the engine ran like a "Singer Sewing Machine" as the saying goes. I would guarantee that if you were to build this one you would really enjoy the build and flying it. Just the other day I was digging through some of my old plans and ran across the "Twister" and have been considering reducing the plans to 48" and scratch building another. Cowls were available for the 1/3 size but would have to scratch build a fiberglass cowl for a 48" rendition. I believe the plans for the 1/3 scale are still available thru MAN or if you do a search on the net. Good luck.

Dennis
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
dgliderguy

Default RE:

I just scored a copy of the Santich Knight Twister plans from Air Age, with their Fourth of July half-off sale, and now I have a scan of the construction article, from poster "BPS" (thanks, Jerry!). Now to snag a cowl and wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties. Hoping to start on this project when the rains return in the fall.

I'm thinking of a DLE55 as a possibility, but this may be too much engine for the tapered nose of the Knight Twister. Would a DLE30 be enough go for this airframe? How about an Evo 40GT? Savvy opinions solicited.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
6LQQKR2

Have not built anything useing the DLE 30 but do believe that this would haul the Twister with ease. As I said in an earlier post to you I had built this airplane and used a Saito 270 which hauled it off and around with ease. I do not remember how much it weighed. I recently scatch built a 72" Taylor craft and put a Zenoah 20ei on it. T
ORIGINAL: dgliderguy

I just scored a copy of the Santich Knight Twister plans from Air Age, with their Fourth of July half-off sale, and now I have a scan of the construction article, from poster ''BPS'' (thanks, Jerry!). Now to snag a cowl and wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialties. Hoping to start on this project when the rains return in the fall.

I'm thinking of a DLE55 as a possibility, but this may be too much engine for the tapered nose of the Knight Twister. Would a DLE30 be enough go for this airframe? How about an Evo 40GT? Savvy opinions solicited.
he plane weighs just over 11 lbs. and the engine pulls it with 11 lbs of thrust on a Zinger 15x6-10. This was a static test useing a fish scale hooked to the tail wheel and tethered to a tie down stake. You will really enjoy building and flying the Twister.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
6LQQKR2

What engine did you decide to use on your Knight Twister?

Dennis
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
dgliderguy

Default RE:

I'm looking at going with the new DLE35RA, with rear exhaust port, rear carb, and rear-facing plug. Troy Built has 'em for $349 shipped.

I had a chance to examine the fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties (nice!), and it looks like the DLE35RA will fit nicely, with the exception of the exposed cylinder head, but that's actually a good thing for keeping the engine cool.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
bps

Default RE:

When the building starts please post the build and pictures. Reading about the project and looking at pictures is almost as much fun as building mine. I will get back on it this winter along with a 1/4 Nieuport 17, Nosen 310 and a scale 747 to launch our Space Shuttle from.

So far I have the tail feathers built and the fuse crutch. I have redesigned the wings to make them easier for my building technique building the wing flat on a flat surface and getting rid of the torque tube ailerons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.