Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 in Delaware

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 PM
PmikeyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club 40 in Delaware

Our local club is starting a Club 40 league in Sandtown, De. We are just starting out at this point. We had just 4 people come out for the race yesterday. If there is anyone interested in racing, I can get you info on times and dates.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Club 40 in Delaware

I am interested and will be in Northern Maryland the end of August and would like to race with you guys.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM
PmikeyG

I will talk to the guy that organizes the races and let you know.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM
PmikeyG

What servos is everyone using in their Club 40 planes?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM
BarryReade

Uh, one that work!!!  I use the Spektrum/JR DS821 standard size digital servos.  My planes usually weigh in at 4 lb 8 oz withouit weight added for the Advanced class.  I have used HS 225's but then I usually have to add weight. 

RCPRO rules state you have to use a 4 screw mounted servo.  No 2 screw mounting servos allowed.

See under Hardware section #4.

RCPRO Club 40 Racing - Regulations

RCPRO Club 40 acceptable modifications
Rev. 7/20/2009

The airframes used in Club 40 Racing are to remain essentially stock. The goal is to maintain a level playing field and to have fun. Anyone who has flown R/C for any length of time knows that airplanes get hurt and need repairs. Many modelers learn what areas of a particular model need improvement to hold up to everyday use, or more demanding use in R/C pylon racing. “Common Modeling Practices” will be allowed in the assembly and maintenance of the aircraft. This is not the same as “Common Speed Enhancement Practices” which shall not be allowed. This guide will list the areas that are subject to interpretation and provide guidance for groups and contest directors running RCPRO Club 40 Races. 

Engine:
1. The engine shall be mounted upright in the position as provided “out-of-the-box”. 
2. Raising or lowering the engine is not allowed.
3. Shimming the engine mount to change the thrust line is acceptable. 
4. The stock engine mount or a fiberglass replacement must be used. 
5. The engine may be moved fore or aft to aid in balancing the aircraft. 
6. Engines must be securely attached to the engine mount with four bolts or screws of at least 4-40 size or 3mm.
7. Engine must be equipped with R/C carburetor as supplied by manufacturer.
8. Engine must use the muffler supplied by the manufacturer.
9. Baffles may NOT be removed from mufflers so equipped. 

Prop / Spinner:
1. Any spinner of not more than 2.5 inches in diameter is allowed. 
2. “Heavy hub” spinners, spinner weights that fit inside a spinner and aluminum safety spinner nuts are allowed. 

Fuel tank:
1. Any brand of tank may be used. 
2. Tanks may be raised or lowered to allow for consistent engine runs.
3. The tank may only be pressurized with muffler pressure. 
4. Bubble less tanks that have an internal bladder may be used.
5. The stock tank may be converted to use a fuel bladder.

Landing gear:
1. The landing gear block may be reinforced or replaced as needed. 
2. The landing gear must be made of wire not less than approximately 5/32” (4mm) in diameter. 
3. Main landing gear must have 2 wheels separated by at least 8.5 inches. 
4. Replacement wheels (mains and tail wheel) must be the same size as the original equipment.
5. Streamlined “racing” wheels shall not be allowed.
6. Tail wheel must be steerable either by attachment to the rudder or by a separate servo.

Hardware:
1. Control horns, push rods and linkages may be replaced with similar hardware. 
2. No internal linkages may be used on the rudder and elevator. 
3. Pushrods, if replaced, must exit the fuselage sides in the same position as original specification. 
4. All servos must be mounted with four screws. 
5. Mini receivers are allowed if they are full range designs. No “Park Flyer” receivers are allowed.
6. Battery packs may be of the four or five cell (or 2-3 cell LiPo) with a suggested minimum of 500 MaH.
7. Nylon wing bolts are allowed.

Airframe:
1. A piece of wood or dowel rod, with a frontal dimension of no more than ¼”, may be used to connect the two sides of the cheek to prevent vibration. 
2. Doublers of plywood (or similar wood) may be used on the inside of the compartment sides. 
3. No attempt to enclose or streamline the engine is allowed. 
4. No rounding of edges or reshaping of the compartment sides is allowed. 
5. Removal of the compartment sides is not allowed. 
6. Openings for clearance of mufflers and needle valves are allowed as needed. 
7. The covering of the airframe may be removed and replaced with similar iron-on covering. 
8. No wood may be removed during the re-covering process. 
9. Additional reinforcement of airframe components is allowed.
10. Fiber glassing or other reinforcement of the center section of the wing is allowed. 
11. The wing may not be thinned using any technique.
12. Contest directors may use templates to insure that the wing airfoil has not been modified. 
13. Changing or removing the wing dihedral is not allowed. The dihedral of the wing must be within 0.25” of the standard dihedral.
14. Tail components may be glued in place. 
15. Only 2 airplanes are allowed for each pilot at an event. 
16. Each aircraft must start the competition with the wing designed for it. If crash damage disables both aircraft, parts (including wings) may be interchanged to produce a flyable aircraft. 
17. Control surfaces may be repaired or replaced with wood parts (no composites) of the same size and shape.
18. Control surfaces may be hinged with the supplied metal hinges, CA hinges, Plastic hinges or hinge points (robart or similar). 
19. Hinges must be centered vertically in the hinge joint area. 
20. A minimum of 3 hinges per aileron, 4 per elevator and 3 per rudder are required.
21. Hinge lines may be sealed using tape, stick-on plastic covering, or iron-on plastic covering. 

Airframe Update: (5/28/2008)
WM has modified the cheeks of the SRM2 such that the cheeks are now slightly angled toward each other. The new model is hereby approved for use in RCPRO Club 40 racing.
In addition - In order to "equalize" the older airframes still in service, the following modification is approved:
1. Cheeks may be modified to pinch the front end to a minimum outside dimension of 2 3/8 inches at the prop shaft.
2. A single piece of ply may be attached to the bottom of the fuse to hold the angle of the cheeks. The ply may extend from the firewall toward the prop no more than 2 1/2".
3. The plywood brace may be "relieved" to allow airflow out the bottom of the engine compartment.
4. This modification should be as close as possible to the "new" design by the manufacturer.
5. Race CD will have the final say on legality of "modified" aircraft.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Hextronic HXT 5010 servos from HobbyKing.com They cost $5.95 and they work great. Dual ball bearing 70 in/oz @ 4.8v. I've bought around 25 of them and so far they have worked 100%. Some are a little noisey but what happens is that the gear grease is not distributed very well on the gear set. Just fly them and the grease will spread or take them apart and use a toothpick to spread the grease around. Try them, they work great!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:18 AM
PmikeyG

I am new to this, but not to flying. Wouldn't you want a digital servo installed for better centering? I would think that would improve flight characteristics and get you quicker lap times?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: PmikeyG

Our local club is starting a Club 40 league in Sandtown, De. We are just starting out at this point. We had just 4 people come out for the race yesterday. If there is anyone interested in racing, I can get you info on times and dates.
Yep, I am still interested in your times and dates.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Tbatt

A digital servo is not needed. This is low cost racing at it's BEST!

You will want the airplane to have a relaxed feel to it. The trick to being fast is being smooth. The control throws are set back to less than a trainer. Some of the guys set their plane up with dual rates so that the high rate is for take off and landing and racing is on low rates. I just use 30% expo on aileron and elevator and about 70% travel.

Some of the guys set their plane up so that it takes full stick to roll left and full stick to pull for the turns. I tried that setup and didn't care for it.

With the control throws set up like this, servo centering is not nearly as important as it would be for other forms of flying.

I forgot to say good luck with your efforts on my earlier post.

Good luck and I hope you have as good as a response to getting Club 40 racing started as I have had. We had five planes show for our first race last year. Eighteen for our first race this year and it is now looking like around 25 for our second race!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
BarryReade

I disagree with Tim.  I use digital servos as I like the consistent centering and that can be an issue with an analog servo and has been an issue in the past.  Repeatability is paramont to great smooth consistant flying whether it be 3D, Pattern, or Pylon Racing
Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Tbatt

I agree that the digitals are better, I just don't think they will offer any significant advantange over a good analog at the reduced throws. The centering error is reduced because the total throw is reduced, at least that is how it works on my setup.

This is what makes racing fun! Share (steal) ideas and see what works best. Just look at the prop threads. I think that the prop manufacturers came up with pylon racing to improve sales! You should see my pylon prop collection. Scary!

Some of the best pilots I've seen are using old 72mhz radios along with whatever servos they had laying around.

Now that 2.4Ghz radios have come down in price we are most likely going to require them for next season. We had five pilots show at our last race with 72Mhz radios. No conflicks luckily!

Number one rule, HAVE FUN!

We are in for a good race this Saturday. Seven of us are headed to the Alabaster race in Alabama.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM
PmikeyG

Thanks guys! Barry, I am still trying to get firm dates for the races. This is new to the club, and the schedule is here and there. Soon as I get firm dates I will let you know!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM
BarryReade

Thanks "P"
Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Quote from Tbatt":
Now that 2.4Ghz radios have come down in price we are most likely going to require them for next season. We had five pilots show at our last race with 72Mhz radios. No conflicks luckily!

Uh Oh....
Tim, Im still old school with my 72 Mhz and will try to continue to be until Im forced to change. But having said that, I know that the change will come. [sm=cry_smile.gif]
How about considering doing the change year after next, say in 2012 ?
That would help a lot of us old farts out that are a dying breed.

I fly Futaba - a 9 Super, what would a swap over appx cost I wonder ?
Thanks,
John
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Tbatt

John,

With more and more modelers going to 2.4 the 72Mhz issue is kind of taking care of its self. So far we have not had any conflicts on 72 yet. What worries me is that there is SO much interest in Club 40 that we may get a huge influx of new racers. Right now there is no real plan to go to 2.4 only, its just a fall back if we have lots of 72Mhz radios start showing up. The amount of work it takes to work around frequency conficts makes setting up a race a real pain. 2.4Ghz makes it easy and that is what Club 40 is all about.

Tim
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: Tbatt

A digital servo is not needed. This is low cost racing at it's BEST!
Gee I only pay $20/ea for my JR/Spextrum servos delivered to my front door. I know they are not $6/ea but for only $20 it is a great deal.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
BarryReade

Bump, anything going on up in Delaware?? IMWTK