Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

On board glo driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 AM
cmarch
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board glo driver

Hello, I'm thinking of putting an on-board glo driver on a saito FA-80t... Any suggestions as to what brand ? Thanks CM

Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: On board glo driver

I make mine using a nicad C-Cell from Radio Shack, a toggle switch, a charging connector to charge the battery and a glow plug connector from your LHS.

I use one on my Super Tiger 90, flip the switch, start the engine and fly, its on all the time.

I get 4 fifteen minuet flights with power to spare.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 AM
mboland

The down side of having the glow plug powered all the time is that it changes the timing at higher rpm, which in some cases can cause problems like overheating, detonation, depending on your setup.

Using the same formula of battery-switch you could always use a microswitch that is activated by the throttle arm at lower rpm where the glow is needed.
You find these sort of switches in old dvd drives.
Although I don't use this setup for glow drivers I do use it for lighting switches.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:24 AM
dadp47

I have used a Mc Daniels on board glow driver. It can be connected to the throttle channel and programmed to come on when the throttle is at 30% full throttle or less (or whaever percentage you want). It can also be put on to an auxillary channel which is on/off, such as the retract channel, to be turned on and off at your own will. I used the second option, and it worked well. The website is www.sonictronic.com. Maxx products also has a unit www.maxxprod.com. Sullivan products also has a unit. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Carlos Murphy

I've never experienced a "down side" to the system being on all the time, engines always ran great.

The biggest engine I've used it on is a Saiti 180.

FYI: Always use the best glow plugs.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

I have this one on my GP Lancair and DP Super Cub, I've had them on both airplanes for years and it's a great unit that has worked flawlessly and never failed. The people at Electrodynamics are great and provide excellent customer service.

http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-103/index.shtml
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Michael7810

I'm using the Sullivan on my P-51/FS91OS and Cessna 310/2 X OS55AX with no problems. On both systems I use a 7.2V LIPO as the power source and can fly all weekend on a charge. You can set the throttle position to turn it on/off which is nice. It doesn't heat the plugs cherry red so if you flood the engine it will have to be dried out first...otherwise it works fine.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

All of my glow engines 82 size up to 220 have McDanels Onboard Glow. I use the 466 model which comes with a built in 5000 mah battgery. Only had one go bad after a couple years of use and sent it in for repair for minimal cost. Another benefit is my engines tend to be mounted inverted and trying to get a glow driver up in there (and out of there once the engine is running) is not something I like to do.

The 466 comes with a charger and I use it but also made up my own charge jack and charge it with my Triton. Very happy with this setup!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been looking at glow drivers and once read somewhere that there is a glow driver that measures glow plug heat...and adds current to keep all plugs at a constant setting, no matter what the throttle setting.

Does anyone know the make and where I can buy this unit.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Carlos Murphy

The first flight with my home made OBG, Tiger 60 / Super Tiger 90-K, Master Airscrew adj. 3 blade prop, took off and while climbing out the engine went lean and stalled.

While the engine was winding down and out of desperation I pulled back on the throttle and shoved it forward a couple of times and the
engine restarted (big smily at the time) and I flew some laps at part throttle, landed and adjusted the high speed needle.

I flew with much more confidence after that not before realizing that benefit, great insurance.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
flying pastor

Some very good on board glow drivers are available from www.southhertsmodels.com They are available for single and twin models and have a very good reputation. They are in the UK so you would have to check out shipping etc.
All the best...Chris UK.

They are available in the U.S.A from www.nelsonhobby.com and are indeed the intellingent glow switches mentioned in a previous post.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I am using this model from Horizon http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EXRA550 on a ST G2300 mounted in a plans built 30% BD-8. I am still working out the bugs on this unit though. Seems sometimes it turns on and others it will not. Called Tech Support and they say it may be a problem with the Spectrum radio set up. I doubt it. They ere very helpful and advised me some trouble shooting tips. I like this unit because you can use a 4.8 volt battery pac.
T
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Neo gold

Has to be the Mc daniels....top quality product & very compact...i have two, they are over 2 years old & work perfectly, assign a switch to your transmitter & operation could not be simpler/safer.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Neo gold

Has to be the Mc daniels....top quality product & very compact...i have two, they are over 2 years old & work perfectly, assign a switch to your transmitter & operation could not be simpler/safer.

Agree with Neo gold... in addition to assigning a swtich, you can use the throttle channel and set it to come on at whatever stick position you want... 1/2 throttle, 1/3 throttle, etc. Simple and effective!

djstar