Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

some quick help with my new lipo setup please

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
hillbilie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some quick help with my new lipo setup please

so i just got a turnigy accucell 6 charger and a turnigy 5.2 5200mah 25c pack. this is my first lipo and i am not quite sure on how to charge it. do i need to setup the charger or program it or anything before i use it? also my rustler has deans plugs its going to suck soldering a deans on there because the wires on this lipo are freekin massive. and should i solder the other deans onto one of the charging leads or do you guys just use the alligator clips? im anxious to run this so please explain to me what i need to do to charge this, thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: some quick help with my new lipo setup please

Doesn't the charge come with a manual? If so then it should tell you how to charge the battery. Change the plugs all to deans.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
hillbilie

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Doesn't the charge come with a manual? If so then it should tell you how to charge the battery. Change the plugs all to deans.
you would think that it would.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM
hillbilie

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

you would think that it would.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took a unused charger wire (I chose the circular plug thing no idea what it would be used for) cut the end off and soldered on my connector

As for settings just flip through the menu's your going to have to select battery type, charge rate mainly, and a normal or balanced charge (I take balance charge every time personally).

As for soldering those massive wires yes they are a royal PITA. I broke out my 100 watt soldering iron for those cause my hand started hurting from holding my 30 watt iron for 5 minutes while trying to heat it up
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

As for soldering those massive wires yes they are a royal PITA. I broke out my 100 watt soldering iron for those cause my hand started hurting from holding my 30 watt iron for 5 minutes while trying to heat it up
Not really, I only used a 40 watt iron and I got them done in 5 minutes. Just be sure to tin the battery wires and the plug and you should be good to go. Make sure to do one wire at a time.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
kahnen

Manual:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...CEL_manual.pdf
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
JoshJ

I just want to run a question out there about charging. Ive got a 2s 5200mAh lipo, and a hobbico quick field charger MKII. If I set it at Lipo and 2.0 Amps, it will charge my battery fully correct? Im not an expert at batterys, but my dads charger (trition 2) doesnt offer a option for amps, just mAh. Maybe someone could explain this too me?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:58 PM
theunleet

Just so you know, Turnigy does not supply a manual with any of its chargers, you must download the PDF manual that was just linked. As for the charger, it should be set on Lipo program from the getgo.

You have 4 buttons which are

TYPE STATUSL STATUSR START
STOP MINUS PLUS ENTER

When it boots on you see TURNIGY as it loads. then it should display Lipo CHARGE with the mAh value in the bottom left and the Cell count in the bottom right. (You want Lipo Balance Charge so press the Plus button once to get to it) pressing start will tab over to the mAh and then to the Cell value, you can change these with the minus and plus buttons. since you have 5200mAh packs set them to 5.2A and whatever cell battery you have. Holding the start button will start the charge, it identifies how many cells the battery has, then you press start/enter again to start the charge. after the pack reaches 5200mAh and all of the cells are balanced the charger will do a funky beep warning to let you know its done, and it stops the charging sequence.

If for some reason it is not on LIPO when you first start it up, here is how to fix that. Plug it in and wait for it to boot. After it boots hit TYPE and PROGRAM SELECT will pop up. From there you hit plus or minus to select Lipo BATT. (If you have other batteries you can select those, and if you have LIFE or LifePo batteries or something, you would go to USER SET PROGRAM and you can select those batteries as well)

EDIT TO JOSH: In your case AMPS is the mAh rating. so set it to 5.2A.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

JoshJ

The MKII has a 1 amp limit and a 1.5 hr time limit on lipos. That will deliver 1500 mah to the battery (or less)

If the pack requires more than that it will have to be restarted. In addition to that it has a 4.1 max voltage per cell for output. This gives around 95% full charge. The answer is it can do a full charge , but a dvm should be used to verify the ending voltage when done and/or during the charge.

Your Dad's T-2 uses 1C for charging rate. It is based on the capacity entered. If you were to input 5000 mah into the T-2 it would use 5 amps as the rate.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
JoshJ

Thats the problem I am having, it only goes to 2.0 amps. I am on the right foot here though, right? It WILL NOT charge it fully, right? I asked this question on RCGroups, and everyone said it would charge it fully.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: guver

JoshJ

The MKII has a 1 amp limit and a 1.5 hr time limit on lipos. That will deliver 1500 mah to the battery (or less)

If the pack requires more than that it will have to be restarted. In addition to that it has a 4.1 max voltage per cell for output. This gives around 95% full charge. The answer is it can do a full charge , but a dvm should be used to verify the ending voltage when done and/or during the charge.

Your Dad's T-2 uses 1C for charging rate. It is based on the capacity entered. If you were to input 5000 mah into the T-2 it would use 5 amps as the rate.
an amp is 1000(or is it 10,000??1000 right?) mah. 1000mah in an amp.The charger is setting for mah, most use amp.Just do a simple math conversion to figure out the same charge rate.

Josh, it will charge fully. So what if it goes to 2 amps?It has nothing to do with whether it charges fully or not.Itll charge fully at .5 amps or 5 amps.