Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Kit or RTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM
jack463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit or RTR

So I really enjoy fixing and taking apart my cars and other things too. That is why I am rather interested in buying a kit instead of a RTR. I don't actually have a car or truck in mind I would like to buy I am just not sure if I should buy a kit because I am going to have major confusion when building it. I fairly confident with working and fixing my cars but just not sure I will be able to put it together.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
mrbonez

Default RE: Kit or RTR

kits usually come with pretty detailed instructions . i would highly suggest a kit that way if something breaks or has problems you will be familiar with your rc already plus with a kit you can add the electronics you wish . the ready to run rc's tend to have cheaper electronics in them to keep the cost down, plus when you run something you have personal put together it is a great feeling .
but that's just my 2 coppers whatever you decide just have fun with it
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

You ever build models?Just like that, except bigger and when your done, you get to see it tearing up and down the road.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM
nitroade

Kit is always the way to go, far more rewarding to actually build it and then run it. You'll also know the ins and outs of the car and when you inevitably break something, it will be that much easier to fix. Sadly, fewer and fewer manufacturers offer kits now. Tamiya still offers most of their RC's in kit form.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 AM
1cougar1
My Feedback: (6)

ive only bought rtr's except for my new rc9t ( i mean 8)ce . the reason being is is us saully if you buy an rtr there cheaper than the whole put together kit)including engine, serbvos and radio), and if you think about it mos rtr engines arent bad( except for my hyper st macstar lol)so that'lllast for a (sorry i have no delete button_) i mean that'll ussually be suefictiiant for a first engine, and the serbvos need to be replaced in rtr's , asap,(in most cases) plus you have a spare set if one of the new ones go bad t, and you need a quick replacment . but ive been told that the rtr's when converted to pro form is ussaully heavery on the wallet than just buying a kit in the first place. las t opinion, bashers ussaually are less fanceyu , good for bashing. and kite are more commoly used for dudes(or dudets) wanted to race.any way thats what ive learned and read over the 3/4 years ive been driving cars. clay unruh
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 AM
tommygun32

Having had full RTR's, 80% pre-builts and kits, there's only one way I go now-a-days. KIT

For all the reasons already mentioned. [8D]
Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 AM
lez1troubles

RTR aint all that bad if you buy the right one (i.e KYOSHO) and get you on the track quick fast and in a hurry.
Kits are great if you know what your doing and get all the right stuff before you even start putting it together (i.e, shock and diff oils, grease, CA glue, loctite blue or pacer 52+ all the right tools) plus TAKE YOUR TIME. Rush it and you'll wreck it. Then once you've put it all together and you sit looking at it thinking about a paint design (probably the hardest part of the kit build).
What ever you do just have fun with it. [8D]
P.S
if you do go for a RTR do your self a favour and get the KYOSHO MP7.5. Its a rocket and strong enough to take the abuse, the electronics in it are good quality digital high power and the GX.21 engine is a screamer once its loosenedd up a bit. I have one and its a monster. spare
parts are also EZ to get via WWW.INFERNOSONLY.com;)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM
turboknob

If you have the budget, It really is an awesome learning experience to build a kit. There is alot of stuff that will prove very interesting, like assembling shocks. All the kits I have assembled have had great instructions and you learn alot. What type of kit were you thinking about building?  What RTR were you looking at? I will be glad to answer any Questions you have about specific cars.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kits are absolutely the way to go... The major benefit is you will know exactly how to fix the car when something goes wrong and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself.

Since this is your first kit I would recommend something basic like a tamiya Frog, brat or Hornet. I wouldn't jump into building the Boomerang, hotshot or Tundra just yet. Those are awesome builds but not really good for a first timer and lets face it.. Everyone should have a couple of Tamiya's in there collection.

Do know that tamiya kits do come with an ESC but you will need your own Servo, radio and receiver. To keep things cheap some of the best deals out there is the traxxas TQ2 radio and receiver. Right now everybody is in the 2.4 craze and swapping out their AM stuff. You can get a used radio and receiver for around $15 and the 2075 servo is less than $20.

If by chance you do get in over your head you can always pack it up and send it to a guy like me. I fix, complete and repair electric cars.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, Kits are fun. Doing a build thread is cool too.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

100% kit.  If you can read, building kits are easy.  If you have fat fingers you may have trouble assembling certain pieces of it, but thats part of the challenge.  All pros point to kits....except for convenience IMO.  Once youve done a couple builds, theres not an RTR out there you cant tear down and re-assemble w/o instructions. 

IMO first timers should always build their first.  Too much to gain from it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another vote for a kit.

plus it's ususally the better brands that make kits, so you're more than likely going to get a top of the line product, whereas mostbrands that are only available in rtr formare on the lower end of quality.
not to mention the rtr electronics are less than good. sure some are 2.4ghz but it's still a cheap p.o.s. radio.

associated, kyosho, tamiya, hpi all make excellent kits.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
jack463

I think I am going to go with a kit.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
jatoracing33

RTRs are just appealing to new people, lazy people, and people with a tight budget. I, myself, am one of the tight budget guys, but if I save the money up for a new car or truck to would definitely be a kit. Sometimes I think working on a car and taking it apart and rebuilding it is just as much fun as driving it. But if you aren't good with tools or can't figure out the layouts of these vehicles, then you'd be better off with a RTR.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33

RTRs are just appealing to new people, lazy people, and people with a tight budget.
Or someone that wants a particular vehicle that doesn't come in a kit... or sometimes the RTR to kit version has a huge price gap, or the kit is inferior to the RTR.
The Savage X RTR vs the Savage X SS kit. The SS came with an inferior engine, and no electronics for around $30 less.
Jammin X1 pro vs the RTR main difference is shocks(RTR ones are VERY decent), about 3 pieces of aluminum (which can be picked up for $30), and a $150 price tag.

I also don't see any challenge in building a kit like some people say I can generally knock one out in 2 hours (not counting painting which the only hard, and time consuming part making a paint scheme)
BTW I get the most enjoyment working on the RC's not running em so truthfully I should like kits more, but sometimes its more fun rebuilding RTRs.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jack463

So I really enjoy fixing and taking apart my cars and other things too. That is why I am rather interested in buying a kit instead of a RTR. I don't actually have a car or truck in mind I would like to buy I am just not sure if I should buy a kit because I am going to have major confusion when building it. I fairly confident with working and fixing my cars but just not sure I will be able to put it together.
to the original poster i will say this if you have an interest in building one just do it already. a sparked interest should never be smothered out just because someone might say its too expensive or impractical. if that were the case many things would never have been done. the wright brothers never would have flown if they let someone extinguish their intrigue. so the ball is in your court you want to built a kit do it! there is no justification why you cant. there really is no mystique in building i will use my airplane example. I have built a couple of airplane kits and if you can follow directions you can build. the instructions are a step by step process.

with cars you might need a few more tools than you are used to having just repairing. for example;
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...i-Camber-Gauge

RTRs are just appealing to new people, lazy people, and people with a tight budget. I, myself, am one of the tight budget guys...

this sentiment gets tossed quite alot around here. I for one am in another category all together. I do not wish to build cars because I build model airplanes and furniture as a hobby. ive got into cars over 10 years ago and i had a break then got back into it a few years ago. I do not wish to build a rc kit car unless i can get the time freed up on my other hobbies which wont be soon. rtr are nice for those who do not wish to mess around with assembly because our time is better spent elsewhere, although i am not saying its a waste of time.

Or someone that wants a particular vehicle that doesn't come in a kit... or sometimes the RTR to kit version has a huge price gap, or the kit is inferior to the RTR.
I agree with the above statement that sometimes the kit is inferior to the rtr. take the Goldberg Ultimate Biplane. the arf comes with nicer landing gear and a fiberglass cowl, the kit comes with abs plastic and crappy gear. for the price of the arf the kit just isnt worth it.

I think its a misnomer that you have to put together your car to understand how to work on it. I for one am mechanically minded. mechanically minded people can look at a parts explosion and take apart and replace parts. I dont feel that assembling a kit helps in that fashion at all. that is especially true if the person has no mechanical ability. it might help some people but the people who cant repair rtr's arent to have a light bulb go off just because they build a car.

sometimes it comes down to history the people who tend to build kits and think its the only way to go are the same people who were building back when there wasnt a such thing as a RTR. its how they learned its how they will always do things. a few of them have branched off and bought RTR but most wont. my first car was a rtr up till what i have now.

I say to each his own. rtr vs kit is a personal choice. we are joined in our hobby by its entertainment lets keep it that way.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

I think its a misnomer that you have to put together your car to understand how to work on it. I for one am mechanically minded. mechanically minded people can look at a parts explosion and take apart and replace parts. I dont feel that assembling a kit helps in that fashion at all. that is especially true if the person has no mechanical ability. it might help some people but the people who cant repair rtr's arent to have a light bulb go off just because they build a car.
Agree with what ya said there I never understood where the correlation between building it and knowing how to diagnose and repair a problem came from. Also you repair one on-road RC you basically can repair em all. There are very few differences I find in RC's they all usually have similar designs. Look at 1/8th buggies and truggies the things all almost look identical. Most RWD RC's have very similar setups same with most 4wd.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Freezetron

IMO, i've taken my RTR's apart including Revo 3.3, Savage Flux and Baja 5t almost to the point of individual peices and I still gained valuable knowledge of my cars without buying a kit. Plus, I don't have patience for kits, I wanna play and drive now!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

IMO, i've taken my RTR's apart including Revo 3.3, Savage Flux and Baja 5t almost to the point of individual peices and I still gained valuable knowledge of my cars without buying a kit. Plus, I don't have patience for kits, I wanna play and drive now!
I have done that to all of RTRs. Yes you can gain valuable knowledge of the car that way.

However, my last two cars were a kit and the experience was totally difference. Once you fully assembled the car, you already know almost everything about the car. With RTR, it takes time.

My 2 cent, if you have been always buying RTR, try a kit.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Nitro Fumes

I prefer kits too. Never had an RTR. Of course when I originally got into this hobby there were only kits and no such thing as an RTR. These days its hard to find a kit any more. 98% is RTR's. The HPI Baja 5B SS is a kit. And my Losi XXX-NT2 was a kit.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 AM
ozace

I prefer kits, i love the build but there are times when the vehicle is only available are a RTR (traxxas comes to mind).

I collect tamiya for the build, mainly as they are so enjoyable to assemble but every now and then i want a car that is only available ready to go, leaving me no choice
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
jatoracing33

Let me reword my last statement:

RTRs are usually just appealing to new people, lazy people, and people with a tight budget.

It is true that some kits are inferior to the RTRs. It is also true that some things are not available in kits. Like Traxxas, for example. I think the last kit they came out with was the Revo platinum, and I'm not even 100% that was actually a kit..I can't remember.

Sorry for that hasty statement, you both made good points.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Let me reword my last statement:

RTRs are usually just appealing to new people, lazy people, and people with a tight budget.

It is true that some kits are inferior to the RTRs. It is also true that some things are not available in kits. Like Traxxas, for example. I think the last kit they came out with was the Revo platinum, and I'm not even 100% that was actually a kit..I can't remember.

Sorry for that hasty statement, you both made good points.
Think the last one was the slash 4X4 platinum and from what I remember reading it had issues due to the premium parts that came with it warping, and stripping that the stock rtr parts didn't. Even that (if I remember right) really was not a kit but came assembled without electronics, and an unpainted body