Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP F-7F Tigercat

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
CHARLES WINTER

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KMP F-7F Tigercat

Hi F82Fan, I have Sierra retracts in my F7F and my new A1 Skyraider. I have been talking to Darrell almost once a week. I can't get in contact with him now. I am wondering if something happened to him ??? Col. Chuck Winter
Old 07-06-2010, 08:03 AM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Col. Chuck,
I don't know... Maybe he just gets tired of talking to us and so he drops out of sight for a while?
That happened when I was trying to get my Bearcat gear, too.
I hope nothing happened!
Lets see how this plays out.
Clear skies for the summer!!!
Wally
Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CHARLES WINTER

Hi F82Fan, I have Sierra retracts in my F7F and my new A1 Skyraider. I have been talking to Darrell almost once a week. I can't get in contact with him now. I am wondering if something happened to him ??? Col. Chuck Winter

Warbirds Over Delaware begins this week. Darrell is usually there. Maybe that's why you can't reach him.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
CHARLES WINTER

Hi Tigercat Troops, Sierra Co. is doing fine and Darrell is back from vacation and Fly-Ins. I spoke to him today. Col. Chuck Winter
Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
F82FAN

Deep breath.... Exhale....
Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
That is good news indeed. Everyone needs some down time.
Thanks for the update.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
chasrb

Howdy all,

I wantedto re-ask a question here that I never saw any responses to. That is: what field stands have y'all come up with to assemble this bird? If you have photos you'd like to share here that would be brilliant!

I was going to build one from 1-1/2 PCV, but wanted to see if there was a better design out there already.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM
F82FAN

I have both the Large Robart Foam stand and a custom PVC stand that is wide enough to hold either the fuse OR wing of my KMP twins.
The wide stand works really well because I can easily place either part that needs attention on the stand in order to secure the other part to it.
My T-cat is the easiest to assemble due to it's mid-wing design.
The Bf-110 and B-25 are a PITA because they are low wing and the thing has to be flipped over after assmbly, plus they have turrets that like to get smooshed in the stand if you aren't careful.

Just build a nice WIDE stand so you can work on the wing or fuse as necessary.

Regards
Wally
Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Per P

I dont quite get it how to upload files here at RCU, I wrote a complete answer and uploaded images, but the images were gone when i posted?????
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 AM
chasrb

Thanks for the reply's. I am hoping that when I do get around to building the stand, it'll double as the carrier for the car too.

Per P try again to load the pics and your post.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone done a multiple piece wing on either the tigercat or b-25 to make assembly and transportation easier.I could not find any info in the vq site wheater the b-25 was a one poece or two piece wing set up
Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM
stoat

Yes I have done a 3 piece wing on both my Tigercat and a DC3. Not sure about the B25 but it cant be too hard. There are several pages devoted to this on this forum, you will just have to read back a while.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 AM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

Hello Fellas! Just maidened my Tigercat last night. Very nice airplane indeed! My setup is 2 Zenoah G30EI's turning 3 blade MA 14X9's. All up weight is approximately 30 pounds. I only got 1 flight on her as the sun had set and getting a little dark for my comfort zone. I have her balanced at the recommended CG but I feel it is tail heavy. Very, verry pitch sensitive.

It took about 11 clicks of nose down trim to maintain level flight at 1/2 throttle. As stated previously in this thread, the 20's are more than enough power. Iam a little concerned about flap extension and the ships behavior. The airplane has a pretty severe pitch up with only about 1/4 deployment. Will definitely have to mix in some down elevator. That said, Icame in no flap for the first approach, kept her a little fast and rolled her on without any negative tendencies.

I am curious to see what you guys are using for control throws. Have you stuck with what the manual calls for? I have the ailerons pretty much maxed out along with the rudder. I have not dialed in any expo as of yet but will here shortly. Has anyone balnced her forward of the recommended CG?

I must say that the Sierra gear is completely awesome! Thaks a lot for any input. I can't wait to get her up on another sortie!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig12499.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1470135   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg18020.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	776.1 KB
ID:	1470136   Click image for larger version

Name:	lq38200.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	645.5 KB
ID:	1470137  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
F82FAN

ORIGINAL: CRJDriver

Hello Fellas! Just maidened my Tigercat last night. Very nice airplane indeed! My setup is 2 Zenoah G30EI's turning 3 blade MA 14X9's. All up weight is approximately 30 pounds. I only got 1 flight on her as the sun had set and getting a little dark for my comfort zone. I have her balanced at the recommended CG but I feel it is tail heavy. Very, verry pitch sensitive.

It took about 11 clicks of nose down trim to maintain level flight at 1/2 throttle. As stated previously in this thread, the 20's are more than enough power. I am a little concerned about flap extension and the ships behavior. The airplane has a pretty severe pitch up with only about 1/4 deployment. Will definitely have to mix in some down elevator. That said, I came in no flap for the first approach, kept her a little fast and rolled her on without any negative tendencies.

I am curious to see what you guys are using for control throws. Have you stuck with what the manual calls for? I have the ailerons pretty much maxed out along with the rudder. I have not dialed in any expo as of yet but will here shortly. Has anyone balnced her forward of the recommended CG?

I must say that the Sierra gear is completely awesome! Thaks a lot for any input. I can't wait to get her up on another sortie!
Expo on all flight controls is a good thing with this bird. Yes she does need
Down elevator with flaps but dont over-do it. I set mine up so I still have to push a little nose down all the way on final. That way I can just let off to flare and it will be ready
To go around if necessary.
I cant believe you are only running 14" props with those engines?!
You might try more pitch - or just diameter because you arent even working those babys.
Congrats on the maiden and welcome to the club!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM
F82FAN

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

has anyone done a multiple piece wing on either the tigercat or b-25 to make assembly and transportation easier.I could not find any info in the vq site wheater the b-25 was a one poece or two piece wing set up
Go look at the B-25 or Bf-110 threads. We did a rather lengthy and detailed look at how we did the 3-piece wing. The T-cat is easy to do also.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
CHARLES WINTER

To CRJ driver, MY Two Cents. My T-Cat weights 30 lbs plus. Flies solid as a Rock. No pitch sensitivity at all. Full flaps 35 degrees has little to no pitch change. Only pitch change on deployment of full flaps is if I deploy them at too high a speed. I don't use EXPONENTIAL. I suggest you use 2 blade props (Much more efficient on our high RPM engines) I also suggest you put some more weight up front. (It's safer nose heavy on first flights, you can take weight out a little at a time during the next flights) You will need a number of test flights to get this BIRD dialed-in. I split "S" my Tiger and make High Speed runs at Full Bore (2 Fuji 23 on APC 16x8 props). I make high speed rolls and loops. I am not GENTLE with my Tiger. I do UNDERSTAND it's limitations. I will not try a SPIN with this airplane. As an US Air Force Pilot that flew many prop airplanes and jet's I have learned to respect my model airplanes. If you followed this thread, I had developed a fix to strengthen the center section. I don't believe I could do what I do with this 30lb airplane if I didn't strengthen the center section. I also have a Gyro on my Rudder and both engines are Offset outboard approximately 9 degrees. Most twin engine models are lost when an engine stops and not caught rapidly by the pilot. I BELIEVE the gyro and engine OFFSETS will give me (I hope) enough time to react to an engine out. I have my Fuji's dialed in to MY satisfaction. With many flights, my Fuji's just Hum. MY 2 CENTS. Have FUN. Col. Chuck Winter
Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
CRJDriver

Thanks for the info Col. I too am a veteran of the blue uniform. FLew C-141's for 20 years. Retired from the reserves 3 years ago. Great career! Iam going to shift my CG forward about a half inch and see how she handles. Ido have a pair of 16x6 EVO's I will try. I must say, however that the 14x9 3 bladers pull this airplane with authority. I was quite surprised. They are turning at 8500 static RPM. Ibeleive I tached the 16's at 9300RPM. I do have the 3 peice wing as this was an earlier KMP kit and have reinforced the center section. Pretty solid.

Curious as to where your CG is at and how much elevator travel you have on high rates if you do not mind sharing, Thanks for all of the help fellas! Time to go and move my iginition batterries to the forward nacelle location and see how she balances from there.

Cheers!

Chris
Old 07-21-2010, 01:45 AM
CHARLES WINTER

Hi Chris. I don't know where my CG is. I originally flew my Tiger with a lot of lead in the nose. I knew it would be nose heavy, thats what I wanted. As I flew my test flights I took out the lead a few ounces at a time. I probably still have a slight nose heavy airplane. You said you flew C-141's. I know you used Weight and Balance on all your missions. I don't think you ever took off with a Tail Heavy airplane. If you can shift some weight up front - Go for it. If you can't, put 6 ounces lead in the nose area and take a test flight, it will show immediately if thats the way to go. The wing loading on my Tiger is very high but I have no choice, it weighs what it weighs. I only fly my Tiger on paved long runways. I don't use flaps on takeoff (My Choice) I like to get as much acceleration as possible. I can use half flaps but as a Fighter Pilot I like to "GO FOR IT" If I had too, for a short field takeoff I would use halve to full flaps. I flew many jets and in the F-102 and F-106 we didn't have flaps, we just Blasted into the BLUE. Keep in touch. Col. Chuck Winter
Old 07-30-2010, 06:17 AM
CRJDriver

Hello Fellas!

I flew the Cat last night after making numerous changes - most importantly - shifting the CG 1/2 inch forward from the manufacturer's recommended 117 mm. The difference is night and day. Flies solid as a rock. I mixed in 3 percent nose down trim with flap deployment. The result is 0 change in pitch with full deployment of 30 degrees. No break in the stall. She flies with authority on the 16x6 Evo props. Just need to paint some yellow tips on them as I got whacked while attempting to micro-adjust engines. Nonetheless, she is definitely a keeper and a delight to fly. The CG appears to be right where it should be as the inverted test yields about 20 percent down elevator input. Will fly here a bit more today. Gotta love these Grumman Cats!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

Nice Tigercat, also beautiful children! You may know what your doing and it's your business but I would never let my kids or any kids for that matter be barely holding an airplane that size with the engines running!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Streetfuz
My Feedback: (115)

Orvel, You so right about the kids and the props. If that was at a AMA field and Club, they'd be in deep trouble with AMA. That's as dangerous as it gets with kids around. Your right, cute kids![]
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM
F82FAN

This is stupid.
Get back on Tigercats
Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 AM
CRJDriver

Thank You F82Fan. My kids have grown up around both Full Scale and RC aircraft. I have educated them of the dangers - they respect these machines for what they are and what they are capable of. For the record - the engines were at idle in the picture and remained at idle the entire time. The airplane was at rest when they approached it. Thank you both for your concern. Now - on to the topic please.

Chris
Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM
rcnut101

Hi Gentlemen.

My T-cat crashed awhile back and I have allready replaced it. If anyone by chance has a set of gen 5 retracts that they dont want, I would be glad to take them off your hands. Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Doug
Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
CRJDriver

Hello Fellas. A fellow club member got sme rather nice video of my Tigercat flight a few weeks ago. I must say Ireally love this plane. She really is a real sweethear for a twin warbird. As a recap, my setup is as follows:

Sierra Gear - of course
ZenoahG20 EI's 2X 2400 mah packs for ignition
1 - 3600 Mah main ship battery
MA 14X9 3 bladed props. 8500 static RPM
Slimline Side Dump mufflers
Upgraded hardware throughout... 4/40 pushrods for elevators, 4/40 pull/pull on rudder, titatnium threaded rods for ailerons, etc.
12 DS 821's and a HS 645 on the rudder

She is kind of heavy at just over 30 pounds but it doesn't really seem to mind. The 20's power this ship with authority. I had the nice opportunity to fly with another fellow at the Northern Alliance Military Fly-In 2 weeks ago. What atreat! They looked greatin the air together. Unfortunately no video. Here is a link to the vid -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cs2WU_kZA

Cheers,

Chris
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 PM
CRJDriver

Ijust finished installing some Dummy Radials (1/8) scale from Top Flight. I think they turned out quite well and really add a lot to that spacious cowl opening!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig12053.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	4.40 MB
ID:	1491218  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.