Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

My First Helo Venom Ozone

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

My First Helo Venom Ozone

Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM
skitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Helo Venom Ozone

Hi All,

New to this section of the forum. Mostly spend my time over on the tanks forum, have a few of those. Anyhow, i've been wanting to dip my toe in the Helo pool and I picked up a Venom Ozone at Harbor Freight of all places. Price was right, $60.00. I like it so far but it is a challenge to fly, but I think most of it is me and that helos are hard to fly anyway. Can't fly it outdoors, as the wind will take off with it.....and indoors...I need a lot of space to keep from running into things. I've also been considering one of the Syma 107's but had not as yet bought one. I wonder if they are a bit more stable with the gyro? What I don't care for in the Syma 107 is the IR transmitter. Too bad they haven't changed that, but maybe it flys well, don't know. Anyhow, just new here and looking for advice on flying the Ozone better.....

Skitt
Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 AM
MikeMoss

Default RE: My First Helo Venom Ozone

Hi

I have a Syma S107 and I can tell you that it is the best flying mini helicopter you can get.
I have over 8 hours air time on mine now, all in myliving-room.
The control is so positive that you can rotate it exactly 90 degrees and when you release the stick it stops dead on.
It has good forward speed, and will hover in the same spot without rotating forever.
I'm going to order another one in case something happens to this one.

I liked it so much I bought a S006 to fly outdoors, but it does't compare with the S107 for control and stability.

I get flight time between 7 and 8 minutes and in all those hours I have not had anything break.

I charge it off my PC and when the light comes on I quit what I'm doing and go fly it.
Best of all you can get one for only $30.

I too wish it was Radio Controlled so I could fly it out doors, I have done so late in the evening just before dark and it worked well as long as I didn't let it get too far away.

I have a S006G on order, I'm hoping it will fly better then my S006. It has a number of improvements, it has a gyro, a larger tail rotor, a high speed button for the tail rotor for flying out doors, and a better transmitter with a throttle you can set and a knob for trim.

I did get the S006 to fly pretty well but I had to ad a 2" boom sticking out of the nose with a 45 Caliber lead ball on the end of it. That increased the speed enough to fly in a very light breeze (very, very light), and I'm figuring on doing something similar on the S006G when I get it.
Without the leverage of the boom it took 2 lead balls and the weight started to effect the performance. I made the boom out of aflexibleplastic tube that won't break when it hits the ground.
I'm still experimenting with how little weight I can carry and how long the boom can be, the longer the boom the less weight required.

Mike
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
skitt

Thank you Mike for the insight....I'm thinking I will pick up one of the S107's.

Got any pics of the mod for the 106? I'm wondering if adding a boom to my venom might improve it a bit?

I put a LED finger light on my venom.....glued on with silicone and it did change how it lifts off the ground....kinda nose heavier and leans foward.

Skitt
Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 PM
MikeMoss

Hi

As it happens I just took a picture of the nose mad to send to a friend of mine who is also a RC flyer.

http://a.imageshack.us/img832/7184/nosemos.jpg

The tube is made out of shrink tube that is used for electrical work, that I had lying around.
I put a 45 cal. ball in the front of it and then shrunk it around the ball with my heat gun.
Then I taped it to the nose with black electrical tape.

I have experimented around by sliding the whole thing forward and back, and the current setup seems to work well.
The heli moves forward very slowly when the stick is in neutral, and much faster when I push it forward.
It also made it a lot less twitchy when rudder isapplied.

I got in several full flights with it today even when there was a little air flow, (I wouldn't call it a breeze) it wouldn't have made progress into the wind before I added the nose mod.

Good luck with your S107, you won't believe how well it flies.
Today I walked through my house flying it through every room on my main floor and then back to where I started.
I wish Icouldfly it outdoorsduringthe day.

Mike

Old 07-31-2010, 11:16 PM
quickdraw

Skitt

Just remember that the Venom is mode 1 style on the remote. Meaning the throttle is on the right hand side. Most of the stuff in the US is mode 2. Throttle on the left. I looked at the Venom to just see if I wanted to get into helicopters. When I seen the remote I said NO way I was going to get it. I fly planes now and since the throttle is on the left stick you might get confused in a panic situation and push nose down with the right stick thinking you flying the Venom. Just something to keep in mind. I bought the Blade MSR and learned with it. Fun heli and seems to take abuse well.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
MikeMoss

Hi

It's funny that the Venom has the throttle on the right side, my S006 has it on the left side and it is the same transmitter.
In fact the helicopters are almost identical from what I can see in the pictures.

I'm waiting for my S006 to charge right now I flew it earlier and had another thought.
I'm going to try it with the little wing thing on the boom removed next time.

My thinking is that the rotor wash blows on this forcing the tail down and inhibits the forward speed.
The more throttle the more down force on the tail when you really want the tail to come up.

I have also considered the idea that maybe instead of a weight, a small wing on the nosethat would catch the rotor wash would help force the nose down and increase the speed without adding weight. This could be adjusted by rotating it more of less horizontal, increasing and decreasing the exposed area.

I may try that after I see what happens the next time I fly it with the rear wing removed.

The thing is flying pretty well now even in enough breeze to make the leaves move a little, my only real problem is that itoccasionally just looses the signal and either sticks on full throttle or fall out of the air. To say that it has a 100 foot range is way over estimating it, I range checked it and it seems to go out at around 30'.

I'm looking forward to trying out the S006G that has already made an effort to correct some of these issues.

Mike

Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Druss

I'm sorry but saying that the S107 is the best flying micro helicopter goes a bit far unless you've actually flown them all....

I personally don't like the idea of a tail rotor like that instead of using a swash plate like most helis. I've flown helis before that are designed that way and I've found they have a bouncing effect, maybe the S107 doesn't but I've never tried it.

I'd really suggest either an eflite or helimax co-axial or even the msr even if it's a bit harder to control.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
skitt

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the pic, nice idea! I will have to take a pic of what I did to mine with the LED light, under the nose. I have tried mine outside with a little success.....but a little wind and it's tough to handle....it begins to fly off like a balloon.

Skitt
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
MikeMoss

Hi

Well I haven't flown them all, but I guarantee you that no one would be disappointed in the way the S107 flies.

I'm new to RC helicopters, but I've flown RC for 50 years, (since rubber band powered escapements) as well as being a real, fixed wing and sail plane pilot, with some dual time in real helicopters.

Stable as a rock, and completely controllable.
I've recommended this heli to all my friends.

I have over 7 hours flight time on it now.
It has helped a lot in getting ready to fly my out door heli.

Mike

Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
MikeMoss

Hi again

I flew my S107 outside last night at 9 O'clock.
It was really, really calm.

I flew it too high and it went out of range a few times butthe motor restarted before it hit the ground and it just kept flying.

I wish my S006 flew this well, I have hopes for the S006G when it comes.

Mike
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
midntpumkin

if you want a heli coax to fly outside this one is the best but only in a slight breeze .
http://www.xheli.com/sys0bigchch3.html
it also flyes almost hands off the controlls
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
skitt

Hi Quickdraw,

My throttle is on the left.....didn't think much about it. I'm thinking that the gyro is what makes the 107 so stable. There is one I saw recently thats bigger and has the gyro...may fly just as well. But I like the idea of the 107 for size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxWAdQ3gyg

Skitt