Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

how many enjoy the build?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

how many enjoy the build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how many enjoy the build?

I'm OLD, 75+ years, I love to build, have been building my own models for the last 65+ years. I have built hundreds of kits and maybe a hundred or so models from Plans. Yes I will Assemble, or help ASSEMBLE an ARF Trainer for someone that wants to learn to Fly an R/C Model Airplane. By the way, have you noticed that the NEW People getting into our hobby are OLD People? They have raised their kids and now they want to do something for themselves.

I still own a Model Airplane Plan Service featuring the Harold Osborne Plans and Scale drawings. Many nice plan sets, maybe a bit too complicated for some modelers. I built most of the Prototypes before the plans were published in the now out of print, Scale R/C Model magazine. If you like to build from Plans, drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a listing.

Some flyers will never realize the Pride of building and finishing a R/C Model airplane. It may not look as good as a ARF, but it's still a thing of Beauty.

Keep em LIGHT! Ken

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

Been in this hobby longer than I'd like to remember, but it never gets old for me..Started out in control lines back it the late 50's. Then you built them and covered them with silk and dope. Went to college and then the service, so I was out of it for a few years then got back into the hobby, but this time into the remote controled models,,,the ones that had pulsated signals..Started a business so was out for a few more years...This time coming back, boy how things had changed in the transmitter department...first buid was a Butterfly made by Craft...then a Balsa USA Stik, then my pride and joy an ACE 4-60..2 engines, two recovering jobs and I still have that plane today, 20+ years later. First stick built was a Corkscrew from RCM drawings, then it's big brother the Corkscrew 80, then a Cloud Dancer and a New Era III. I enjoy walking out to the shop and see the clutter of one or more planes setting on the tables waiting for me to finish them..Or the rebuilding a newbees trainer for the 3rd time.. or repairing the landing gear on someones ARF, which is generally the weakest part of an ARF. At least it' been my experiece...Building is the fun of this hobby....putting some pieces together be it a stick built or pieces of an arf..then seeing something ones assembled with their own hands fly...which is an accomplishment for alot of people in this hobby..
After reading this far down in this article one can see how different people feel about the building part...some like myself still like to get in there with a set of drawings and just start cutting the pieces out..( Don't get me wrong I've got a couple of ARF's hanging from the ceiling )..I feel we are the ones that truly love the build part and take great pride in what we put together and having the Patience to do it....then standing back after it's finished and marvel at what we've accomplished..not only in the frame of the model, but the covering scheme we've come up with. Be it plastic covering or paint...Then for me, take it to the field and see if it flys without any trim changes...that's the challenge I enjoy...no trim corrections, I've done my job well and it came out like I wanted it to...I'm not saying that there won't be a few minor changes to get it to fly as perfect as I want it to...that can take 5-9 flights..meaning move the cg one way or the other to get it to do certain maneuvers better...or adding some mixes in, say one flaps to elevator mix..or maybe a little more or less throw on the control surfaces than the manual said. Then after it fly's like I want it to I'm ready for the next one to see if I can better myself...
Next kit project coming up is an old ACE 230 Extra 1/3 scale. I've had this kit since they first came out back it the late 60's early 70's..Looking at the drawings today again and notice again that back then only a G62 was recommended...Today they'd be saying put a twin 100 or twin 150 on the front of it...
Remember one does not quit learning until they put that 6' of dirt over you and sometimes 2 heads are better than 1.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an rc pilot and not a builder. I'll stick to buying used planes from those who did the boring stuff for me.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 AM
davidgeorge212

I think I am at a position right now where I have so many models that I have built from kits or plans that I dont have any more room in my basement. I am often tempted to sell quite a few of them at a loss to me just to get them out of my basement so I can build up more new planes. I love building planes up from nothing but balsa sticks and I love to take them up for their first flights, but after about a month of flying a newly built plane, I tend to get a little bored of flying it. The second I finish a plane and maiden it, it usually just heads straight down to the basement with the rest of them because I am really anxious to start in on the next build if I havent already.

David
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

always have at least one on the bench, building is RR for me as well as the flying, But like to fly with friends and love to build alone taking my time wanting to see it done but really never wanting it to finish it!

My girlfried told me if I gave up RC planes I would have time for other things, WHAT OTHER THINGS?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

I can build, I just prefer not to in most cases. I prefer a good ARF.

Sad fact is most ARF's are built better than most ''True Modelers'' can build.
I have about 20 kits ready and waiting for winter projects and my retirement years.

A lot of the kits out there cannot be built for 3-4 times the cost of an ARF of the same plane. It's as much a money issue as a time or gumption issue for me.

Sounds like you might be hanging out with the wrong so called True Modelers/Builders.

Bob
Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: planetcio

If you like to build that maybe you might be gay?
A poor taste post to a thoughtful thread.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One advantage of "builders" that also fly ARFs is that we can repair any "mishap" an ARF suffers. Or, we can "maintain" our planes better because we have a better idea of what lies beneath the monocote:-)

ARF did help, I think, builders. In my club (before ARFS came around), you would see some really crappy models. Current ARFs have beautiful covering jobs, and I think they in some way inspire modelers to do a better job than just sticking that old pink monocote they got cheap at the acution on their model. Also builders combine colors like never before, etc...

Many ARFS are built lighter than our old kits, and after 40 years in the hobby I am convinced that in most cases lighter flies better:-)

Gerry

Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Building time for me happens from November to February. Keeps me busy on those long cold nights, I would build year round if I had the time but oh well least I have wintertime
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Beats the $#(^ out of sitting on the couch wacthing TV all the time. I would go nuts if I didn't have something to keep me occupied. When the wife see's I am getting bored and irritating her she sends me to the basement. If I want to build I just keep bugging the crap out of her and I get banished to the building room. When I can keep her mad I get alot done
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
cirrus4string
My Feedback: (12)

I feel the same, I feel a little sad with a empty building board...
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Arfs rob from one the pride and talent of designing and engineering ones own creation. Plus, one who builds can open an arf box and read its short comings accurately and quickly and make the corrections. No matter if its structural or scale problems. Our local group can't understand the comment " they got the color wrong"when an arf is introduced. To us its just a base coat/primer.

I have both arf and our own designs/plans/fabrications, both fun, but for me its more rewarding to have my own stuff out there.

Steve
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

ORIGINAL: planetcio

If you like to build that maybe you might be gay?
A poor taste post to a thoughtful thread.
It is summer now, maybe moderators are on vacations or maybe they are on a moderators strike or even they are not builders, so they are not aware of what is happening here.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 AM
cirrus4string
My Feedback: (12)

I do not need or want The Moderators to screen these threads,,,, It shows that the kids are on summer break, why I only like to fly when the kids are at sitters. But it is fun to watch these guys crash and the HAVE TO go buy a new ARF because alot of AFR's are not repairable and lack of skills....
Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I also prefer to either buy a completed plane that has been built well, or an ARF. It is not that I am opposed to building...not at all. I do know enough about building to handle most repairs if needed. Yes, a major crash, I'd probably need help (RCU is great for that).

It's just that I prefer to fly over build, and since I'm not retired and have kids at the youth sports age, well, there's only so much time in the day. And here in Florida, we have lots of flying days; very little of the cold, gray, dreary, snowy, icy, freezing rain, windy days where building is all there is to do in this hobby.

That said, I am building a SkyMaster L-39 that yes, it's an ARF, but it's been one helluva ARF build. Stuff like, Step 1. Install Engine, Step 2. Install Fuel System, Step 3. Install Landing Gear.....etc. Been at it for almost a year. So, sure, I haven't had to lay up formers and stringers, cover wings and fuselage. But everything else has pretty much been a blank slate. It's been a steep learning curve. Can't say I've enjoyed every minute of it so far, but each time I've solved a problem or overcome an obstacle, there is a nice sense of accomplishment.

My only true build was a Van's RV-3, but that was full scale.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

good point , lite ply is garbage, they should atleast give you aircraft ply in the engine areas
Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sensei

Building is the hobby and flying is the sport... I love both.

Bob
AH ha you can build! but can you fly?

see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmm-f-76MnI
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

ORIGINAL: sensei

Building is the hobby and flying is the sport... I love both.

Bob
AH ha you can build! but can you fly?

see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmm-f-76MnI

No, just learned last week...

Bob
Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
wowplanes

I just finished painting my latest build. It is a foamidable A10 Warthog. It is modeled after the one shown in the first picture. I have not detailed it all the way as I have limited time. From start to this stage took me 6 weeks. I feel humbled when I read that some have been in this hobby for 50 or 60 years. I have been in it for 6, the first 3 were spent ARFing and BARFing, the last 3 building and flying.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78579.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1479100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98552.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1479101   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26557.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1479102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16155.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1479103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al73216.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1479104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96318.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1479105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd68274.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1479106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb94136.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1479107  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut26552.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1479108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa21804.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1479109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz12228.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1479110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99442.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1479111  
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

There is the joy of building a plane that is special and takes a while. And then there is the economy of building planes yourself just to have a plane to fly that isn't going to cause a lot of greif if it gets knocked around. Say a six pack of spadsticks we knocked out a few weeks back or the Bubble Dancer sailplane I have on the bench. A lot of joy from both. oohs and ahhs are nice when the plane is "special" and just as nice when the the guys appreciate the shear fun of a knock around plane. GOTTA HAVE BOTH And if you build your own you get a plane that is made just the way you like it.
Another example is a trainer (always have one on hand for the newbies) with extra rudder area, half the called for dihedral and dual rates of course. No sweat to fly with a student and flip on the high rates and see what a "trainer" really can do. There is a lot more variety and more options if you are the builder.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 AM
markhout

the building process is the most fun if you asked me
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 AM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

wow! very nice car, plane and frames!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems to me (looking over some "OLD" RCM's) we used to be a segment of the hobby that solved problems - invented things and the like. I don't see/read that anymore nearly as much. That's sad because it was the 'old' stuff we developed that are now the norm - when's something 'new' coming? I mean ideas, techiques, etc.

Yes I remember when 'Giant' meant a 72" wingspan
Old 08-08-2010, 03:11 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

that vid is off the charts
Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
R!aan

What was he thinking! What kind ofidiot would try and hover a trainer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.