Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

C'mon guys...this is about the greatest flying machine ever concieved....not outlaw fields, unsafe flying or black eyes to AMA.

Save that garbage for another forum!!

Great flying by a very young pilot....GOOD JOB YOUNG MAN!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
roly1129

People get a live... The road is a dead end with 2 empty building, the car just wanted to see the airplane. They stop and park on the grass to see the airplane. I do belong to a club but when u have to drive 45 min on the turnpike to get to it just to do 3 test flight is kind of hard. So bite me...................
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
RC MANIAC119

YOU TELL EM ROLY..........
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Don, IS this where I should post our trip downNova Road out of St Cloudin 1981flying the 2ByronF15s in formation at 90 MPH filming out of the back of the trucks or is that still classified?

I still have to laugh thinking about you and Tommy in those welding goggles leaning on the cab flying your asses off. lol POWERLINESCOMINGUP<GOHIGH<GOHIGH
Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Wow... lots of thin skin and hostility here! [sm=punching.gif]

I fly Learjets for a living, so forgive me for allowing my professional aviator's sense of safety to creep into this discussion, especially after seeing cars driving toward you on that "dead end street" during your takeoff roll. I (and I hope nobody else) just don't want to see a 100+mph Flying Machine going through someones windshield and embedding itself into an innocent motorist's chest... which would be another black eye for the RC hobby. With the RC hobby under the FAA's microscope right now, I'd think that people would be more responsible... but I guess not. But I guess after all, it is a terrible inconvenience to drive to the flying field when you just have to fly NOW.

Use your heads, people. It's more than just a hatrack.

Roly, you've got a great Flying Machine there. Your son looks to be a skilled pilot. He's at an impressionable age... show him responsibility... even if that means driving 45 minutes to your flying field.

Have a great day, and a better one tomorrow, and think ahead. Plan for the unexpected. Always have an "out".

Now, let's get back to Flying Machines discussion, OK? You've got no fight with me, so please don't try to. I'm not, and don't want to be, your enemy.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM
RC MANIAC119

Wow Condor I would love to see that!!!

I saw you guys fly those things, in the early 80's. I think it was at Mulberry, Mulvane....Mul something Florida. This field had giant mounds of phosphorus accross the road..........ANYWAYS... You guy were friggin fantastic, and I just wanted to tell you that!!!!

It's one of my fondest memories........
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Condor060

Thanks for the cudos but Don and Tom were the guysputting on the show. I was J.A.F.O. in those trucks while Don and Tom handled the birds. We would clear traffic while they landed, refueled, and took off again. Chasingthose F15s with the trucks was one of my greatest memories. I haveattached a picture of that day to this post. We were on the side ofthe road taking a break. Don is in the middle and Tommy is sitting on the truck. They were a great team.

You can find it on Dons website.I was justlucky enough to fly in their club. Don found me in the late 70s(a snot nosed kid) flying on a road one day with my 2 channel Sig Coltwith no AMA, no frequency flag, and no clue what I was doing.He invited me to come fly with themat their field. He was a mentor to anyone who joined that club and spent as much time helping usnewbies as he did flying his own stuff.

I was there when the first flying machine hit the skys. Those were some good days my friend. The Cloud Dancers were real deal. If I remember I think we used to hold our monthly club meetings at night atthe local bank. Don had the keys to the back door. Try doing that these days. lol

They spent thousands and thousands of hours building and flying for Byron Originals. It was a real treat to be there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82659.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	1482353  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

I have all but given up on the east-rc thing. In fact, the guy at Lazer-works said he won't produce the kit now, because the rights were purchases by East RC, and he wouldn't do it without express written consent (totally understandable). Ok, so I called East-RC, just to see if they would allow the short-kit to be produced since they were dragging their feet on the ARF, but they wouldn't allow it, that was about a year ago. So, in the meantime, no kits available, no ARF available, so I am giving up, and going to build from scratch. I loved this plane when I had it, but pilot error put it into the ground. Its worth building...........

Dave
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
xlr82v2

Thanks for the info, Dave.

I guess no word yet on the ARF, though?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago I built two of them with just standard 40 size engines. It was fast. If you have a set of plans, there is only a few parts to this plane that really need cutting on some sort of saw. The ribs only. The rest if I remember right is all straight cut and 1/4 sheet. I remember building one start to finish in less than a week of evening. They build very fast.
So if you have a set of plans, build it. It is a fun airplane.
One of the best things I remember is just how slow it will fly and the insane aileron rolls. Landing was always a blast.
If you have ever seen Don fly you would understand.
This was his landing approach.
Take it as high as you can see it straight over your head.
Rock the wings to make sure your rightside up.
Kill the engine
Nose over, straight down.
at about 6 feet from the ground, yank back on the stick
Do a couple of aileron rolls for fun.
turn and land right at your feet.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
RC MANIAC119

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

I have all but given up on the east-rc thing. In fact, the guy at Lazer-works said he won't produce the kit now, because the rights were purchases by East RC, and he wouldn't do it without express written consent (totally understandable). Ok, so I called East-RC, just to see if they would allow the short-kit to be produced since they were dragging their feet on the ARF, but they wouldn't allow it, that was about a year ago. So, in the meantime, no kits available, no ARF available, so I am giving up, and going to build from scratch. I loved this plane when I had it, but pilot error put it into the ground. Its worth building...........

Dave
Dave...this is depressing news.

Anyone have a set of plans laying around I could borrow??
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Condor060

Don might be able to get his hands on a few kits while everyone is waiting for the ARF. I would ask him>
Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
roly1129

Go to Don's site and you can order them from there. Here is the site [link]http://www.eagle-i.us/fm/[/link]
Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Condor060

With all of this talk about Don I called him on the phone and have decided to drive to St. Cloud this weekend and fly with him for a couple days. Don has a ZAP Flying Machine with the OS 55 so I am bringing my Sony DVR HD 1000 video camera to get a High Definition video of his FM flight routine. It will be available in 1920 X 1080 HD video if I can follow this bad boy.
I live in Charlotte NC and it’s about an 8 hour drive down there but it will be worth it. I will post the new video early next week. This should give us all some extra motivation to get those unbuilt FMs out of the closet and in the air.
See you guys when I get back.
Fred

PS, Don has plans available if anyone needs a set.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
xlr82v2

Fred, I can't wait to see it!! That should be some great video!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Muddiman

Guys, I talked to Dave Hockaday of East R/C about eight weeks ago and he has the second proto-type in house. I'll give him another call and see if I can find out what is going on. As I said before in previous post his business has suffered during this slowdown of the economy.
I still hold all the rights to the Flying Machine.

Condor060 will see you soon.

Later,

Don Muddiman
Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Muddiman

Here is my tuned pipe setup for the OS MAX .55AX. Open the image for full details.

Later,

Don

Name:	Wu61447.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1482662  
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Good Lord, Roly..

What club do you belong to that you have to drive 45 mins on the Tunpike to get to your flying field?? I only have to drive about 30 mins from St. Cloud to get to the Kissimmee Club on the corner of Pleasant Hill and Reeves Road.. (I also Live in St. Cloud.) Although I am looking in to getting into a few Electrics to Fly from my back yard, Want a small seaplane or something of that nature, Since I live right on Lake Toho!

Maybe we should get together sometime and do some Hangar Flying, Or Real flying, for that matter!!

Craig.

P.S. I also have been watching the web site for that flying machine to go into production, since one of our club members has one, and I see what he can do with it, I am really wanting one!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM
roly1129

SeaJay, I belong to RCACF. I used to be a member of your club Osceola Flyers but I got tired of the no flying on sunday before 12. That is the only time we get to go flying and can even get early. Let me know we'll get together for some flying.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 PM
SeaJay

Roly,

I was kinda guessing that you belonged to RCACF based on what you said you had to do to get there!!  Is it true that it's like $600 to join that club?? 

the No flying before noon on Sundays doesn't bother me, since I usually don't get to the field before 1pm most times anyway, I guess I am an afternoon flier!! I do like my sleep!!

I have heard that they are trying to get the county to let them fly before noon on Sundays, but it's a work in Progress!!    I'll keep you updated on that issue!

Craig. 
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
SeaJay

I tell you What, when I first saw the FM flying, I was just waiting for the wings to snap off, the maneuvers that that little plane was doing were incredible!!  It was then that I decided that I Wanted one!!  Love them Blenders, snaps, Etc.

All I could say was WOW!

Craig. 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM
roly1129

ORIGINAL: SeaJay

Roly,

I was kinda guessing that you belonged to RCACF based on what you said you had to do to get there!! Is it true that it's like $600 to join that club??

the No flying before noon on Sundays doesn't bother me, since I usually don't get to the field before 1pm most times anyway, I guess I am an afternoon flier!! I do like my sleep!!

I have heard that they are trying to get the county to let them fly before noon on Sundays, but it's a work in Progress!! I'll keep you updated on that issue!

Craig.
Is not $600 to join. It is $160 and the when u have to renew if is paid before Feb 1 is $100. Is not bad. I like to fly early morning before it get to hot or rains. Here is some club info [link]http://www.rcacf.com/[/link]
Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
roly1129

Ok guys here is my second one. The blue one was clocked at 116 mph on a straight and level flight no dive in a rich engine setting before the tuned pipe was install. Can't wait until tomorrow to test the yellow one and the blue with the pipe..

Name:	Fd92743.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1503132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51549.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1503133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73018.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1503134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28246.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1503135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51946.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1503136  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: East RC

I hope everyone is having a nice Holiday Season! Here are a few pics of the first round prototypes of Flying Machine ARF's. Don and the East R/C gang will test on these to look for areas of weakness that need to be changed before a full production run begins. We should have these on the market by Summer 09'.
That quote was posted in December of 2008.

Well the Summer of '09 has come and gone with no Flying Machine ARFs.

And now the Summer of '10 has nearly come and gone with no Flying Machine ARFs.

Does it really take 2 years to debug a prototype ARF design?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: East RC

I hope everyone is having a nice Holiday Season! Here are a few pics of the first round prototypes of Flying Machine ARF's. Don and the East R/C gang will test on these to look for areas of weakness that need to be changed before a full production run begins. We should have these on the market by Summer 09'.
That quote was posted in December of 2008.

Well the Summer of '09 has come and gone with no Flying Machine ARFs.

And now the Summer of '10 has nearly come and gone with no Flying Machine ARFs.

Does it really take 2 years to debug a prototype ARF design?

I agree. Its rediculous. Either do it or don't, but this "moving target" of a date is just plain irritating. Just cut some kits already.............

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.