Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 27% Cap 232 - OS 160 or Gas ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes 27% Cap 232 - OS 160 or Gas ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Planes 27% Cap 232 - OS 160 or Gas ?

I ready to get into a 80 inch 3D plane. I really like the looks of the GP Cap. I was wondering if the OS 160 would not only fly the plane , but how would it do in the 3D mode? As in hovering and pull out. Yes, I did consider going gas. But for the added price plus the added weight of the gas engine is it really needed ? It seems that going to gas on this Cap would make it atleast 2 or more lbs heavier. I know from what I've read that if the wingloading is increased too much, it will affect the flying ability of the plane. I would like everybodys opinion on whether the Cap would fly better with a OS 160 or a 46-50 cc gas engine. Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 27% Cap 232 - OS 160 or Gas ?

I have this plane on a DA50 and it's nicely overpowered at 13.75lbs. Sorry no video of it

Here is a video of a friend of mine flying his on an OS160 at just under 12lbs. He cut out the floor of the canopy, did not use a spinner or wheel pants and went with a Pro Zinger 18x6. I know the Zinger is not the best prop but as you'll see it flew it well. The usual APC18x6W worked well but he was trying to save as much weight as possible

http://www.hafsonline.org/video/vincentcap.wmv

This Cap232 is probably the most stable I have ever flown and I'm a huge Cap fan so I've flown several brands. Mine lives in the back of my truck and is great for those lunch hour flights as it takes 5 minutes to assemble, fuel and start it. I'm upwards of 300 flights on mine and love it

There is a growing thread on this plane at the following link, come on over there are all kinds of engines being used in this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Sewerdude

Thanks for the link Bubba. It would be great to get one around 12 lbs. In the video it looks like the 160 flys it fine. Wish there was more video of a pullout from hover. If the Pro Zinger isnt the best prop , what would be ? I'm open for suggestions. Theres alot of 80 inch planes out there thats fro sure. But this one really caught my eye. I guess keeping it light with a 160 is the key. Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a scratch built -80" span Cap - 13lbs with ZDZ40 - (27%)
unlimited vertical from dead stop hover.
GP models are typically quite sturdy and a gasser should be a good match
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57202.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	591854  
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
bubbagates

The 18X6W APC is considered to be the best prop for the OS160FX and he was using that at at first, but the APC spools up a little slow for his tastes so he went with the Zinger. I'm not sure as I do not have a lot of experience with other props on the 160 but I would think a MSC18X6 would work since it has about the same load as an APC but tons lighter.

I know the video had not much hovering but I can tell you with the APC in came out nicely. With the Zinger it was slower coming out but once it started biting it started gaining speed where the APC bit immediately.

One thing to remember that when you start getting into planes this size and weight there is going to be a bit of a trade off and you will have to adjust your flying style a bit. Unless you go with a huge Glow like a 2.1 Moki or like I did with a very light gas engine then pullout from a hover will suffer.

If you really want "foamy" power then do the DA50 and use a PT Model 22x* CF prop.

Mine with the DA50 comes out of a hover like a foamy does and I can do as roughly 5 snaps right out of the hover until it starts to lose it's energy. If I just power out it's like the Energizer bunny and just keeps going and going and going

Here's mine

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79046.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	591868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21554.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	591869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72683.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	591870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65566.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	591871  
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Sewerdude

Thanks for the info Bubba. Helps alot. Guess I could get both props and see what works best . Have you had any problems with the landing gear? It doesnt look to stout. Was wondering if anybody makes a cf gear for it yet.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:32 AM
bubbagates

I have had no problems with the main gear at all, it gives just enough flew to make most landings look like greasers. If you plan to do a lot of harrier landings and use a 22 inch prop you will need to get a taller gear. Most people build up some very light ply under the gear mounts about 1 inch thick to get a bit more clearance but you really do not need it on an 18 inch prop

Graphtec makes a CF gear for the GP Ultimate which is exactly the same gear (I have that plane as well).

http://www.graphtechrc.com/Secure/mall/maingear.asp

It's part number 230 and it's one piece

Consider replacing the tail wheel with a Sullivan if you fly from grass. Mine lasted about 100 flights until it fell apart
Old 08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
3Dkunalud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bubbagates,

i just bought this plane (moving up from 60 sized 3D planes). I'm running Hitec 5945 everywhere, but a 5985 on the rudder and SWB arms all around. Using a JR ds821 on throttle and a DA50.  I'm beefing up the linkages by using carbon fiber rods all around. The one concern i had though is with the wing joiner. For me it seems to thin. And it isn't even made out of plywood. I mean the wing joiner on my Hangar 9 Cherokee has a thicker and IMO stronger wing joiner. How did you go about this? I have read here on RCU that someones Cap had its wing joiner snap on its first flight. So, i'm kind of worried that will happen to me as well. Should i duplicate the wing joiner out of 5 ply? or what?
Also, what did you do strengthen up the firewall and engine box so that the DA50 won't rip it out. Because i'm concerned that the DA50 will start cracking the engine box since it doesn't have a cover on top. 
please let me know soon because i'm at the point in the build where i need to join the wings.
3Dkunalud
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: 3Dkunalud

bubbagates,

i just bought this plane (moving up from 60 sized 3D planes). I'm running Hitec 5945 everywhere, but a 5985 on the rudder and SWB arms all around. Using a JR ds821 on throttle and a DA50. I'm beefing up the linkages by using carbon fiber rods all around. The one concern i had though is with the wing joiner. For me it seems to thin. And it isn't even made out of plywood. I mean the wing joiner on my Hangar 9 Cherokee has a thicker and IMO stronger wing joiner. How did you go about this? I have read here on RCU that someones Cap had its wing joiner snap on its first flight. So, i'm kind of worried that will happen to me as well. Should i duplicate the wing joiner out of 5 ply? or what?
Also, what did you do strengthen up the firewall and engine box so that the DA50 won't rip it out. Because i'm concerned that the DA50 will start cracking the engine box since it doesn't have a cover on top.
please let me know soon because i'm at the point in the build where i need to join the wings.
3Dkunalud
I would redo the joiner out of the ply. The earlier versions, like when I built mine in 2007, had good joiners, I just talked to someone today that also used ply for the joiner. Weight increase is not going to be all that bad considering a DA50 is gonna pull it around like nothing you have ever seen before.

As far as the engine box, once again mine was fine but no matter what, you should pin it. Get some 1/8th inch dowel rod, drill 1/8th holes, 3 per side and glue in the dowel rod pieces. You only need to drill no more than 1/2 inch. You can also glue in tri-stock on the inside of the engine box for added strength, I did both, pin and tri-stock
Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM
3Dkunalud

Bubbagates, 

thanks for your help man! I will definitely get to work on the new joiner right away. I mean just when inspecting the parts, i was suspicious about it. I mean i could bend that piece of wood without any force at all. 

Also, would it be a good idea to but a piece of 1 inch 5ply underneath the landing gear, so that i get more prop clearance. Not that i would be doing harrier landings with this, but i don't constantly want to replace the props. Speaking of props, which one did you use on yours? Cause i was thinking once the engine is fully broken in, i would use a Vess 23A. 

Sorry for all these questions, first gasser, so i want to make sure i do everything correctly

3Dkunald
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM
bubbagates

NO Problem on the questions 3D

Yes, one inch piece of ply would work well for the landing gear

Honestly, I would do a 22x8 PT models for break-in and then a PT models 23x8 after break-in. I think you will find the Vess works well but the 22A would be a better choice, even after breakin, the 22B would work as well but you will suffer on pullout. I think the 23A would be about the same as the 23A, even after breakin as they do load the engine a bit more
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
3Dkunalud

Hey Bubbagates, 

I'm working on the linkages on my cap right now and i was wondering how you went about aligning the aileron control horns. I'm using 1.5" SWB arms all around and when i make a right angle from the arm to the aileron, it doesn't align up with the little bit of hardwood in the control surface that the control horn is suppose to go to. Also, did the rudder linkage interfere with the elevator?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:50 PM
bubbagates

Hey Bubbagates,

I'm working on the linkages on my cap right now and i was wondering how you went about aligning the aileron control horns. I'm using 1.5'' SWB arms all around and when i make a right angle from the arm to the aileron, it doesn't align up with the little bit of hardwood in the control surface that the control horn is suppose to go to. Also, did the rudder linkage interfere with the elevator?
You do not want you linkages to line up when the surfaces are neutral, you want them to line up at full deflection for max torque, just screw the control horn onto the block, temporarily screw on the linkage to both sides (horn and servo arm) and adjust the linkage to the hole on the servo arm until you are as straight as possible in both directions, remove the linkage, measure it and make the other one for the other aileron the exact same length and then your throws will be equal.

OH yea, make sure the servo is connected, turned on and deflected using the TX, that is very important

I had to put the arm down on the rudder servo to make it work
Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
3Dkunalud

Down in the sense that the servo arm is facing down?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM
bubbagates

Down in the sense that the servo arm is facing down?
Yes, pointing towards the ground. I also went with a 1.25 inch arm on the rudder, A Cap's rudder is extremely powerful. You can use a 1.5 inch arm as well but you'll find you will not need it
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
3Dkunalud

bubbagates,
if you don't mind, can you post a couple of pics showing how the aileron and rudder linkages are suppose to be at neutral. I don't quite understand how they will align when the surface is at full deflection.

also, what length standoffs did you use with the DA50?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
3Dkunalud

Bubbagates,

By looking at the picture you posted in an earlier post, it looks like the servo arm isn't pointing towards the ground, and the linkage seems to work out fine?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Bedbug
My Feedback: (1)

Deleted

Last edited by Bedbug; 04-02-2018 at 01:40 PM.