Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL **Need Help**

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Jantilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL **Need Help**

I have been having a problem with my savage xl. When I let off the throttle the truck make a wierd noise. As you can see in the vid there is alot of smoke so it can't be running lean right? Also if I richen the high speed needle 1/8th the truck will no long shift to second and is slow. My temp's during the vid were about 230. What is the danger temp zone? I know the book say's 250 but everybody seem's to be running warmer then that. I check my temp from the top of the motor above the glow plug. Also I have a question about the pinch test when testing the lsn. Where do you pinch the fuel line at? By watching the hpi tuning video I thought that the lsn needle was lean if the idle rev's went high. Then you would richen it 1/8th. Am I wrong? If somebody can help me out that would be great.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQm82cYygBY
Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 PM
3-172IN MTN

Default RE: Savage XL **Need Help**

If I had to make a deduction on your situation I would say, it is lean on the LSN and rich on the HSN! But definitely that is a leanrun on and it is certainly caused by a lean bottom end!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Jantilla

Hey, thanks for the help I will try to richen the lsn a little. I did do the pinch test and it ran for about three seconds. I just don't want to lose any bottom end power. If you look at my other vid you can see that the truck has a ton of power. I'm thinking about upgrading to the dynamite 086 pipe and was wondering if it would improve the whole powerband or just the top end? I was talking to amain hobbies and the guy told me to go with the 056 and the 086 might decrease my bottom end power. Is he right? I plan on keeping this motor. Also my rev's aren't unstable I thought that was a sign that the lsn was too lean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2ceNApLQ8
Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 PM
3-172IN MTN

From your video I can see that the low end is still a little lean, or maybe after the second wheelie you aree holding the throttle a little bit and making it run on a bit. I will look for some videos for you to show that the 086 is a good pipe to use.

I skipped the k5.9 thing and went straight to a Picco P3. So your pipe choice is going to depend on what engine you plan on getting in the future. I am also going to say that either the 0-53 or the 086 are going to make a huge improvement over what you are using now.

There are some earlier posts on here that speak a lot about the 5.9 and what most of its ailments are. It is primarily port size and its ability to feed itself fuel.I guess all in all it is big ol motor really tiny ports!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze7M0CCCUqU[/youtube]

edited due to the wrong link!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 PM
BudBud

Sounds good in the second video, the 5.9 is really tough to tune on the low end.

K5.9 on 086 in deep grass...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH9zai7zAKI[/youtube]

K5.9 on stock pipe, with that annoying high speed starve.... the 086 will really help that. II tried an 053 and an STS 0702, but the 086 seemed best for me. Glen

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs[/youtube]
Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Jantilla

It does sound good in my second vid but if I was to do a full throttle run it will make that noise when I let off the throttle. I plan on getting the 086 pipe and changing to a better gas. My hobby shop was out of the gas I wanted so I had to settle for traxxas. I wanted Trinity Monster Horsepower 30%.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Jantilla

So basically there is enough fuel with full throttle but not enough fuel from bottom end to mid so it’s making that sound when I let off the throttle?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 PM
3-172IN MTN

Did you seal the mid screw on the K carb?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Jantilla

I haven't sealed anything.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM
3-172IN MTN

There are some great tutorials on here, BudBud took the time and made pictures and everything to go along with the instructions!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

link to budbuds guide
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8763733
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 PM
mrizzo700

need help with savage monster xl running hot
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
ctm01854

can any one help me?i just got a hpi savage xl 5.9 an it is not put together.what should i do?i know it needs a front diff an a pin for the u-joint.should i try to put it together or should i find some one to do it.i have never had a gas truck b4.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
wolfie1

you should go onto hpi's website and download an instruction manual and have a look through it and see if ur up to it, its simple enough give it a go, you will have fun
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: ctm01854

can any one help me?i just got a hpi savage xl 5.9 an it is not put together.what should i do?i know it needs a front diff an a pin for the u-joint.should i try to put it together or should i find some one to do it.i have never had a gas truck b4.
No sense in paying somebody, PM me and I can give you a call in the evening. I have a few here, I will tear one down with you to guide you through. You need a hobby quality set of hex wrenches though. Glen
Old 08-15-2010, 02:13 PM
urs856

Hi! just replaced the spur gear and the clutch gear but it doesn't run. any help pls.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BudBud
No sense in paying somebody, PM me and I can give you a call in the evening. I have a few here, I will tear one down with you to guide you through. You need a hobby quality set of hex wrenches though. Glen
WOW! A chance to learn about your rc while learning from someone who knows what they are doing. Can't top that. Ctm01854, I would jump on that offer!