Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer choices

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 AM
jack463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer choices

Ok well I read the sticky with all the trainer choices and oh my there is a lot of choices. I really have no idea even were to start. Could anyone give a suggestion for a trainer?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 AM
wazzbat

Default RE: Trainer choices

Hi Jack

I think you should go down to your LHS and get yourself a SIG Kadet LT-40 kit and why you're there, pick one up for me and send it down here to Australia.   From what I've read, I think they are the best trainer.  I want to bget it in a kit so I can build it myself but I'm finding it really hard to get a hold of one here.  But I'm sure others will chime in.  I am as new to this hobby as you are!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM
mclina

The LT-40 is generally regarded as the best overall trainer, but you really can't go wrong with any of the more common trainers, including the Goldberg Eagle 2, Hangar 9 Alpha, Tower Trainer, Telemaster, etc...

The Nexstar is very popular, but I believe that it is overpriced and over-gadgetted.

A very good combo is the Sig LT-40, with an OS 46AX, and a good 6-channel 2.4gHz radio system.

A good budget combo would be a Tower Trainer with an OS .46LA, and an entry-level radio. You could also save a few bucks by going with a Magnum, Super Tigre, or GMS engine, but they can be trickier for a beginner to keep tuned.

The easiest bet is to buy a RTF package, like the Hangar 9 Alpha 40 DSM2 package. You get everything you need for about $300.

There are a lot of options, but don't worry too much about it. They are all very good, and you will not regret buying any of them.

Good luck
Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The answer depends in part on the layout of your flying field. The Sig LT-40 is a superb trainer; my club is on its third LT-40 club trainer. It's a bit of a floater, though, so if your flying field is cramped you might do better with something a little smaller and with a bit higher wing loading. (My favorite in this regard is the Midwest Aerostar 40, which, alas, is no longer being made. It turns a little quicker and comes down a shade faster than the LT-40.)

As the previous post said, though, there are a lot of good trainers, and getting any of them would not be a big mistake.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Augie11

I will second Mclinas recommendation of the LT-40 ARF with the OS .46AX and your choice of 2.4 radio system. Keep in mind that engines and radios can be transferred from one plane to another (barring total disaster) so good quality and ease of use justifies the dollars you'll spend on them. Airframes have a more limited lifespan early on in your 'career'. I like the LT-40 because it's large enough to see well and that's important as well as the low wing loading which allows for good contol at the slower speeds needed for landing. Head down to your local hobby shop (LHS) and see what's available and get a feel for what's out there. Also, visit a local club to find the preferences in your region especially with regard to radio brands as you'll want to get hooked up with an instructor at the outset and radio compatibility can be an important consideration if you plan to use a 'buddy box' technique. Ask plenty of questions. Flyers are always willing to share their opinions. The trick is to decide which ones to follow!

Welcome to the hobby and the very best of luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 AM
davo580

can always try a boomerang 40 or 60 they are very popular trainer here in australia
Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best trainer is one that is available freely from any LHS in your area, from which spare parts can be ordered quickly.
The best raienr is easily repairable.
The best rainer is relatively cheap
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM
DenverJayhawk

I had a nexstar. While I liked it, the landing gear snaps in and a hard landing can make repair somewhat of a pain. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely go with something in the 60 size. More power, easier to see, and larger models generally fly better than their smaller counterparts. Then you also have a 60+ sized engine to move into another model when you're done with the trainer.

If you're learning, you don't want to putz around tuning an engine. That is the single most frustrating thing you'll encounter when training aside from crashing. I'd highly recommend an OS engine when starting out. Once you get more experience, then play around with the cheap stuff from China.

The other thing you might also consider is an electric. While more expensive up front than a simple glow engine, you'll never worry or deal with reliability issues or dead sticks.

I'd check this combo out with an OS 75ax:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ558&P=0

Lots of part available for your trainer and $60 off $300 a or more order if you join their saver club.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jack, you'll find lots more good info on starting out by clicking the link in my signature.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LT-40 and H9 Alpha 40 are two great trainers and will do the job well. We have a couple Nexstars at our club but they seem to have a few handling issues but it is probably that the planes need some checking over to see what is going on.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
jack463

Wow thanks guys for all the great replies I definetley think I will look at the sig LT-40.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:35 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Hobbico Hobbistar 60. OS.65 that is easy to tune, an easy to see 71" wing span and takes off and lands VARY easily. Comes with an computer radio and everything installed inside the fuse (radio/servos). Some might say 'oh, it's not a flat wing, you HAVE to start with a flat wing. Hog wash, it was my 2nd plane after a flat wing trainer. My 1st 30 sec in the air I thought to myself, 'wow, this is much easier to fly than the flat wing superstar'.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I shoot for the cheapest I can find for teaching, they all fly about the same and they tend to take a beating. I seem to run into more of the tower trainers, I buy them used or have them given to me. I usually get three students to solo on one trainer..
Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 PM
wazzbat

Remember there is a build thread on the LT-40 if you decide to go with the kit form!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I have been an instructer for years and the LT 40 is my own personal favorite plane to knock around with. Mine has a bit of extra rudder and only 1/2 of the recomended dihedral. It has been thrashed by many students and be me too. It is on its third rebuild, and second overall color scheme. The funny thing is if you recover an old beat up bird and do it WELL it looks like a new plane. Mine has an OS 46 FX BTW.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM
harphunt

I first learned using the Hobbico Superstar 40 combo package. Great deal. Left the hobby and have reentered with the Sig Lt-40. Great plane!!

peace
Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 PM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with the Hobbico hobbystar 60 my son and I both learned using one about 12 years ago. (both used the same plane) and I still ocasionally take it out and fly it just because.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
fly boy2

I vote a S.P.A.D. ( simple plastic airplane design) Debonair. Build yourself; cheap and not scared to crash and it's pretty darn maneuverable.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
IFR Pilot

When helping my students find their 1st trainer, I do the following.

1. Wing area, the greater the wing area, the slower and more stable the plane can fly.

2. Price, 90% of beginner planes are mostly in the same price bracket. Most trainers are anywhere from 100 bucks to 300 not including accessories.

3. Looks/ style, many students are very particular how their plane looks. Looks may not mean much to you, but to others it does. It depends on the person.

Trainers come in all forms. High wing, shoulder wing, low wing, mid wing, bi- wing, tri- gear, tail dragger, electric, nitro etc...

Smaller planes doesn't mean they are easier to fly, as they are more nimble than the bigger planes.

As long as you stay under the 10 lb range, you should be good to go.

Good Luck!