Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

any one kit bash a GP Cherokee 40?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

any one kit bash a GP Cherokee 40?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:51 AM
bigdreama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one kit bash a GP Cherokee 40?

I have an old Great planes Cherokee.

Has any one out there bashed one of these into a twin? I have a few twins on the drawing board but I want something I'm not in love with for a trainer......and I'm not in love with this hand me down Cherokee 40.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: any one kit bash a GP Cherokee 40?

I am working on a Cherokee twin.

Bill
Old 11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
bigdreama

What kind of power are you going to use on it? I have a fox 45 on it now and it flies like a buss....maybe thats why it was given to me, the old Colonel seemed to like it, but when he gave it to me I adjusted the throws and played with the surfaces and it still flies like a buss.
I'm not afraid of putting a good size pair of twins on the old thing, but you know what they say about to much power on a twin.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
BillS

I am going to use OS 25’s. I am also going to leave the engine mount in the center.

You might want to evaluate why the airplane flies poorly now. Maybe it is simply too heavy. What is the wing loading?

Bill
Old 11-06-2005, 09:18 PM
bigdreama

Good question. I'll have to get back to you on the wing loading only because my scale is out of service....I should have been more clear about the bus handling. It may be that I'm part of the issue here. It's just not as responsive as I'm used to. The flaps cut out a lot surface area and I like a little more snap to my planes.

I will check the wing loading just the same.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 AM
BillS

A second engine will surely add 20oz to 26oz the airframe (engine, tank, servo, fuel load, wood and fuel line), blanket part of the control surfaces, create balance problems and add considerable design complexity. You might end up with a fully loaded double Decker Buss with bad handling.

Sounds like you might be searching for different flight characteristics than simply a twin. There are lots of easy ways to improve performance other than adding a second engine. Aileron helpers in the form of clear plastic strips or 1/64 lite ply take only a few minutes to add. A larger single engine is the simplest method to improve performance. A 52 would probably require no changes and has 12% greater displacement. A ST 90 would only add 10oz engine weight. There are lots of engines between 46 and 90.

A Cherokee is probably never going to be an aerodynamic bullet due to the design.

My 6 1/2 pound Kougar flies with authority on a 45 and a 50. It is a pound over weight.

The two 25’s were flown on a 10 1/2 pound airplane. It flies on the wing and without reserve authority. On the several engine outs there was absolutely no margin of error but no crash. The engines were changed to 45’s and the engine out margin of error is acceptable.

As you know too much power in a twin is equally dangerous to the airframe as too little power.

Have fun whatever you decide and post pictures.

Bill
Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 PM
skylane62

Where in the world were you when I was looking for a kit to build to replace my badly dammaged Cherokee 40. That is a dream ship to fly. I flew it on an MDS .46 and it screamed. 1/2 throttle was plenty for most manouevers. Flew just like a pattern ship - right where you pointed it.

If you're still interested in selling? rather than twining send me an e-mail
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM
bigdreama

It's collecting dust in the basement along with some other stuff. I don't have the cowl.......come to think of it I never did.