Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Do I want to build a Carden?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Vinnie6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I want to build a Carden?

I am a sport flyer, and LOVE to build. I have built numerous Sig kits, and most recently a Midwest Extra "80 with a gas ZDZ40. I have many friends with big planes, both Carden and ARF, and have seen how well they fly. I am really trying to think this through and decide if Carden 35% is the way I want to go. I would NOTbe building this thing for competitive IMAC, although Imay eventually go that direction. As Imentioned, Ienjoy sport flying. Many of my friends think I'm crazy for even thinking about Carden instead of ARF, but Idon't think they know how much I love building. And Iknow full well how much better the quaiity would be in a Carden kit than a comparable ARF. Is it "normal" to be indecisive before purchasing that first Carden?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I want to build a Carden?

? when will u start? Nike "just do it!"
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Vinnie6, If you really love the build, go for it! The Carden kits are GREAT flyers. Just knowing you built it yourself should convince yourself to go for it! ARFs fly fine too, but you wont have the same satisfaction you get when you build it with your own hands. Myself, i love the build more than flying them any more. But then i've been flying them for over 40 years.......Gene
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

Go for the Carden and you will never look at an ARF again. BARFS have there place and thats in a trash can. There is guys that fly RC then there's guys that LOVE rc and remember and respect the way it once was and can build most guys cant even repair there BARFS. Cardens kits imbody all the right elements that made this hobby great. Build my friend build and be rewarded with the best Aerobat money can buy and its made here in the USA not CHINA! Let the dust fly. The Arf guys will be GREEN trust me I see it all the Time. This should start a fire storm.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:50 PM
lewdfinger

If you have the $$, the time and you like building, there is no better kit. It's worth it just to get your hands on the very best balsa and wood. Carden customer support is unrivaled.

Sheeting the foam cores is probably the most intimidating if you've never done it before, but there's loads of info here and on other forums to get you going.

My 2c

PSThere are other excellent GS kits about these days - i.e. Dalton and the new Aerotech, etc but you won't regret building whatever you pick.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Vinnie6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

? when will u start?
Probably April 2011. Wanna build a Mojo 40 this winter. Does Carden sell planes at Toledo? (thinking of saving $ on shipping costs)

Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

They do not. In fact, the last two years they have not attended Toledo.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like others have stated, there is no better kit. I have done many. There is no better feeling the the one on maiden day when all goes well and knowing you did it all. They fly awesome. Go for it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
lazy eight

ORIGINAL: lewdfinger

If you have the $$, the time and you like building, there is no better kit. It's worth it just to get your hands on the very best balsa and wood. Carden customer support is unrivaled.

Sheeting the foam cores is probably the most intimidating if you've never done it before, but there's loads of info here and on other forums to get you going.

My 2c

PS There are other excellent GS kits about these days - i.e. Dalton and the new Aerotech, etc but you won't regret building whatever you pick.
I have a Dalton 300 and its a sweet flying plane. It builds fast and really build's light. But its not as strong as the Carden design. After 75 flights I have had to reglue the rudder hinges twice because the rudder is TO BIG. It also eats rudder servos like crazy. I ended up cutting it off and redoing the the hinges and adding 10 robart hinge points to it.Now it's working fine. The motor box has some flexing when running a DA 170. So if you go that route just keep all this in mind when building one so you can make the proper changes to the build. All in All its a great airplane and will do anything the pilot is capable of. Tony has done a nice job on the Dalton and it is a great design. One other thing is the fuse has some twisting to it due to the stringer design so adding a pipe tunnel is a good idea as well if you are going to run pipes. I dont know anything about Aerotech but I do know they have had alot of trouble serving the customers. In the end the Carden is the best pick and has the most wins at a competive level. The wood is the best you can get and the over all design is a proven platform. Dennis and Caroline have some of the best customer support there is and have been around for 20 years making airplane kits.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52022.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1489608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29970.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1489611  
Attached Images    
Old 09-25-2010, 12:44 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is , once you build a Carden, you will never want to build any other manufacturer's kit.

Mike
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 PM
lazy eight

Oh so true. We do become jaded.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

my $.02.....you won't regret building a Carden. Nothing flies better than a kit-built plane....and there are no better kits out there than Carden. Everything from placing your order, to packaging, delivery, and assembly is first-rate.

Dennis will talk to you as much as you need to get you through any tough spots.....but if you've done any building before and are comfortable following a set of plans, you won't have any trouble at all. They aren't any more complicated to build than a Sig Kadet......just a bunch of sticks.

Go for it! Then post pics of your progress!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Dennis and Caroline are the epitome of customer service in this hobby. They've built their shop on their own property, and when not at home, they'll leave a message as such on their answering machine to let you know when they'll be back IN the shop. Once you build one yourself, you'll understand why everyone who's built one likes them. The end result isn't too bad either ;P and I don't think you'll find another company out there with as many airframes over 1000 flights. Cardens last a LONG time. Something most ARFs can't claim. My 1st Carden was a 30% Extra 300s that I built in 1994. It's still flying, on it's 4th owner I think. It had over 700 flights on it when I sold it. I can't imagine how many it has on it now.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 AM
poprlite
My Feedback: (25)

I kicked those same thoughts around for over a year. After having a few g/s arf's I made the decision to go ahead and build one for the first time. Excellent kit, if you decide to get one I don't think you will be disapointed.[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 AM
olddog1956

we have four right now and have had them from 30% to 43 and like others have all ready said dennis is first class,, i'm curently working on a 43 with a mintor 220 on pipes and a old 35 300s pocket design that was kitted in1996 and 97,,,,,,,,, still able to get some missing parts,, call caroline or dennis and talk to them some time,,,
Old 12-13-2010, 12:59 PM
crash8384
My Feedback: (79)

here is a pic of my carden. its the 35%er from 1996 . im not sure of the history it has but while i was restoring it i found a date in her from 96. i have about 20 flights on her now and have installed a new 111cc vs. the old brison 5.8. looks just as good as it did years ago. was all pink when i got her. i have been flying for over 20 years and have just about had them all. this by far is the highest quality and best flying plane i have ever had and would not git rid of her for nothing in the world. this from what dennis has told me was the plane that started it all. you def have to do the carden. you wont regret it !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25943.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1533790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36281.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	861.4 KB
ID:	1533791