Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

inverted harries can be treackier than some might think, to me they can be anyway, believe or not the best plane i ever had for those was the original yellow h9 90size funtana, my buddy had one and mentioned the same thing, they were rediculously easy with that plane, i could get into it and steer it around with the rudder anywhere i wanted, and it didnt require much aileron or anything, was fun, and that was way back in my "begining" days of 3d flying...not the clearest pic but this was me years ago with it, its a little sideways at that moment of the pic, otherwise it was straight and true, that was long before i could hover and do most other 3d type stuff....not sure if the newer version acts the same or not
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54958.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1487757  
Old 08-22-2010, 04:33 AM
mm

thanks diamond, i will try.

Stephane
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 AM
mm

here is a link to see my yak on the nose, because the landing gear was backward!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28yNsfTB_tI

Stephane
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM
diamondave

ouch, that sucks.....i wouldnt have expected it to go all the way over like that, bummer
Old 08-22-2010, 03:31 PM
House2twist

Does anyone know what Ultra/mono coat covering color the yellow is on the yellow and black yak? I need to do some minor repairs  and can't seem to find the color to match.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:53 PM
diamondave

i have a roll but dont have the wrapper anymore, it wasnt anything special, my LHS had it, maybe bright yellow?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
diamondave

i started another thread for fun

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9952317
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM
zoomer199

Posting this here because we all have many of the EF planes
Last weekend took motor (dle55) from yak 88 and bolted to my extra 88 (da needed to go in for check up ). Have not flown this bird for a year. I had 6 great flights until the last one[X(].

Crusing down the back leg at about 3/4 throttle deciding what manuver to do...Bang!!!![X(]. Right wing detached itself from the plane. Tryed to get plane out of spin and recover with knife edge but to no avail. So I found out my extra's experation date was 8/14/2010. Was able to recover all gear and all looks great. Turns out at some point I robbed the lock washers off the extra, when I put it togehter at feild I did not notice the missing lock washers..Opps[:@]

The big problem is what plane to get next. Thinking of EF edge, comp arf extra 300, or a sbach (piloit). So help me chose or point me to another model.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM
diamondave

im confused on the lock washers you are talking about, maybe a brain fade but isnt it just wing bolts?

anyway since you like ef stuff id say get the edge, i have one and absolutly love it, i dont think youd regreat it
Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: zoomer199

Posting this here because we all have many of the EF planes
Last weekend took motor (dle55) from yak 88 and bolted to my extra 88 (da needed to go in for check up ). Have not flown this bird for a year. I had 6 great flights until the last one[X(].

Crusing down the back leg at about 3/4 throttle deciding what manuver to do...Bang!!!![X(]. Right wing detached itself from the plane. Tryed to get plane out of spin and recover with knife edge but to no avail. So I found out my extra's experation date was 8/14/2010. Was able to recover all gear and all looks great. Turns out at some point I robbed the lock washers off the extra, when I put it togehter at feild I did not notice the missing lock washers..Opps[:@]

The big problem is what plane to get next. Thinking of EF edge, comp arf extra 300, or a sbach (piloit). So help me chose or point me to another model.
Sorry to hear about your extra. It always sucks to lose a plane.

Here is a video of my Edge taken on the weekend I maidened it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NVfhYtLgE I've got about 6-8 gallons through it now and i'm VERY happy with the plane.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Go for the Edge! It's a great flying plane and great for 3d,well what I can do anyways!! cjcyclesrc rips it up with his!

Frank
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's time to retire my Extra and get an Edge. According to Charles the Edge is a 3D monster. Then again all ya'll seem to love it.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 PM
zoomer199

I always replace my wing bolts with metal ones, I have knobs that press on to the head and it makes it easy to rapid tighten them, since metal I use lock washer so they don't back out. Its been working well for a few years now...well until now that is.

I lean toward the Edge, but those comp arfs are so good looking and no more wrinkles. But how are they for 3d. Not that i am an expert at 3d but that is what I like to try an fly. Any one have experience with the comp arfs?
How does the edge compare to the yak and extra? I here its a happy meduim between the 2.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 AM
diamondave

i think my edge will do some stuff better than my yak did, like spins are tighter, harriers are easier with less rock...cant say about the 88 extra never had one, i did have a 2.3 comp arf with a zdz80, it was nice, tracked very straight, wind didnt seem to bother it much, it was a good plane, i wouldnt miond someday getting another down the road some time, nice without covering, i had a smoke pump on mine, was easy to wipe off that fiberglass, but for 3d flying this 88edge is one of the best, if not the best, ive ever owned...my buddy at the field has the 50cc comp arf yak, looks like a good flyer, honestly my edge is bigger looking on the ground and out flies it from what i can see
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 AM
diamondave

here was my old comp arf with a smoke system, that would be one of the reasons i wouldnt mind getting another eventually, just to have smoke and not loosen covering up...id still say get the ef edge though, you can impress people with the way it flies and dont need a smoke system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sz2Q-UaL_c
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: zoomer199

I always replace my wing bolts with metal ones, I have knobs that press on to the head and it makes it easy to rapid tighten them, since metal I use lock washer so they don't back out. Its been working well for a few years now...well until now that is.

I lean toward the Edge, but those comp arfs are so good looking and no more wrinkles. But how are they for 3d. Not that i am an expert at 3d but that is what I like to try an fly. Any one have experience with the comp arfs?
How does the edge compare to the yak and extra? I here its a happy meduim between the 2.
Which comp arf are you talking about? I've been around the 50cc extra some. It's a good little plane to bore holes in the sky but I wouldn't put it in the same class as even your 88" Extra. The comp-arf looks like a midget sitting next to the EF. Now if your talking about the 100cc Comp-arf Edge, I bet it would be an awesome plane.

I have yet to fly a plane that I would say 3D's better than the 88" EF Edge. The old 2.6m composite extras don't even come close.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM
zoomer199

The comp arf -100 was what I was considering. Have seen a couple at are field but these guys do not fly 3d. Sounds like the edge will be the winner this go around then. Kinda like the fact of staying with the ef birds. I have loved them all so no sense in changing now i guess.
Thanks guys!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah I don't even know if I can buy another brand. Spoiled.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 AM
ArcherIIDriver

Last time I was out flying the Yak (a few weeks ago), I heard a weird noise as I was pulling into a low hover. I landed immediately and discovered that the spinner and prop bolts were loose! Oops. I guess that I've been having so much fun flying the snot out of this plane that I have neglected those "maintenance" items like checking bolts periodically [sm=red_smile.gif]

I then realized that it has been about 75 flights since I really did any kind of airframe inspection/maintenance at all...and they were pretty hard flights, too! Lots of hard tumbles & KE spins So in light of this discovery, I decided that I had better pull the cowl, stabs, etc. and give everything a good once over. I did & everything looks looks good with one exception...the cowl mounting tabs were coming unglued. The top ones were VERY loose and the glue joints were letting go on both the front & back sides (see pics) but a quick shot of CA has everything back in business. Just thought I would share in case you guys needed a reminder to check things out occasionally.

Also, while I have it "in maintenance" I decided to try out Charles' suggestion...2" arms on the elevators (using the 1.75" hole). I went with the Secraft arms (see pic). I still have to re-program my servos, but initial results look promising! I was getting ~ 43* on the original 1.5" arms...looks like I will get ~ 52* with the new ones. I'm looking forward to trying it out in the air this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw66446.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	1490584   Click image for larger version

Name:	ie98114.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	568.5 KB
ID:	1490585   Click image for larger version

Name:	ty64965.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	632.0 KB
ID:	1490586  
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Yeah....maintenance stinks.
My cowl "false engine" piece cracked on me. I had to shut down for the day and cost me a flight or two.
I was wondering how many flight everybody does with "zero" maintenance? I would guess I only average about 20 or so...but that's just a guess.

On the elevator deflection, it really makes difference. My first Yak had about 45* up and 50* down. With my programmer and radio and lots of care, on the new Yak I was able to get 54* down and 60* up. It made all the difference in the world to me. Mine flat spins very good now. I could have went to longer arms on my old one but I was burned out on it, mostly with the engine I'm thinking, but burned out none the less. This one is much much better. At least more to my liking. The only maneuver that is better though...is the flat spins. Everything else is the same. I'm gonna suggest to Steve that he trys the longer arms. I'm willing to bet it'll make his spin better also. Looks like a good mod to me.

I've got my cowl repaired and I'm gonna go out during my lunch to fly it again today.
Thanks
BArry
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to have to see what I can get on the elevator deflection now!!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I'm in the same boat Joe.. I know if I buy something else other then what EF has to offer,I'd be like I bet the EF one does it better !! If they don't come out with a 100cc Edge,not sure what I'd get next. Maybe the 100cc Extra,whenever that comes out .. I may get another electric not sure if it would be the 78" or 70"??

Frank
Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
House2twist

Speaking of maintenance, have any of you guys ever had the trailing edge stock start lifting off the ribs?

I was looking at one of my wing halves and noticed that about 6 inches (2-3 ribs worth) of trailing edge stock was lifted off. I have yet to open it up and see whats wrong but it seems like the glue joints just broke. Hopefully it isn't anything major.

Oh, and about those baffles, mines starting to come off of my cowl in some places. Would some medium CA be good for holding it back? I guess after a summer of flying it's just time to sit down and really work on it before the good fall flying weather comes in! [:-]
Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I'm in the same boat Joe.. I know if I buy something else other then what EF has to offer,I'd be like I bet the EF one does it better !! If they don't come out with a 100cc Edge,not sure what I'd get next. Maybe the 100cc Extra,whenever that comes out .. I may get another electric not sure if it would be the 78'' or 70''??

Frank
Hey Frank. I'm also considering a 100cc air ship. Maybe an EF Yak, or a new 100cc Extra/Edge if they come out with one this fall. There are some used 110 Yak's for sale now and then. I'll keep my eyes open. Either of those air frames sound good for electric. I'd personally go for the bigger one.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:08 PM
diamondave

okay i got a question for all you battery/switch experts....i am trying to figure out how much mah im using in a flight, im debating on getting 123s from rich, i currently have methydride, i did several flights today, i put back 225mah pretty much consitantly in each of 2 reciever batteries, im using a wolverine switch which says it balances out the packs as it goes, so my question is am i using 225 or double that, which is 450? that seems rediculously high, i have no binding or buzzing at neutral or full deflection while on the ground, i read more on fromeco switches on their site and it doesnt specifally address my question, any thoughts? at these numbers im going to go with two 2300s anyway, but curious about the usage, my buddy said maybe my batteries are old enough that there is internal resistance too so thats why it may seem like alot, but im not certain if i use 450 or just 225...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.