Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:42 PM
GizmoMadMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

9 Channel Receiver power issue possibly???

Educate me here.... I just finailized my 30% Gasser with a Smart-fly power Exander Pro and TWO 5-ccll NiMh 6.0v packs...
But get this, when I powered the system, I got absolutely nothing from the Optima 9, even though the Smart-Fly powered on???? weird?

Sooo after some trial and error, turns out, the Optima 9 will ONLY power on if I plug into the SPC port, yet the Dual channel 9/Battery port refuses to power the optima 9???? (to prove this, I used the G port [7th channel] on the smart fly to plug into the SPC port to get the optima 9 to finally power on. I also tested both 6.0v battery packs and plugged them directly into the batt/channel 9 port to prove the optima 9 will only power on if i plug into the SPC port)

Also, the Optima 9 will not power up via the smartfly's powering the channel 9 and channel 8 in it's default configuration?

Thus, it seems the optima 9 receiver is bad I assume, becuase it ONLY powers on thru the SPC port?
I thought the SPC was optional and it would power up just fine and normal via the batt/channel 9 port, or if electric via the throttle port?
AmI missing something here?

Sooooooo I am confused, it seems this brand NEW optima 9 has somehow lost its ability to power up via anything but the SPC port???
[&o]
Help!!!

Thank you in Advance for the help!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:08 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax 9 Channel Receiver power issue possibly???
Educate me here.... I just finailized my 30% Gasser with a Smart-fly power Exander Pro and TWO 5-ccll NiMh 6.0v packs... But get this, when I powered the system, I got absolutely nothing from the Optima 9, even though the Smart-Fly powered on???? weird? Sooo after some trial and error, turns out, the Optima 9 will ONLY power on if I plug into the SPC port, yet the Dual channel 9/Battery port refuses to power the optima 9???? (to prove this, I used the G port [7th channel] on the smart fly to plug into the SPC port to get the optima 9 to finally power on. I also tested both 6.0v battery packs and plugged them directly into the batt/channel 9 port to prove the optima 9 will only power on if i plug into the SPC port)
Also, the Optima 9 will not power up via the smartfly's powering the channel 9 and channel 8 in it's default configuration? Thus, it seems the optima 9 receiver is bad I assume, becuase it ONLY powers on thru the SPC port? I thought the SPC was optional and it would power up just fine and normal via the batt/channel 9 port, or if electric via the throttle port? AmI missing something here? Sooooooo I am confused, it seems this brand NEW optima 9 has somehow lost its ability to power up via anything but the SPC port???
[&o]Help!!!Thank you in Advance for the help!
When powering an Optima via the servo bus only, the SPCplug must remain in place, otherwise the transceiver side remains isolated and can not power up.
As I answered similar post on FG:
"PowerExpander Suggested Setup posted by Mike Mayberry (with video.) 06Aug10.
"If you go with the Smart Fly set up, then power the RX via the SPC by tapping power off the servo bus so you can get real time battery info instead of using the 5V regulated input for the RX only. "
Posts 2569, 2570 & 2572 may also be of interest."
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Multiple Batteries may be installed Dual batteries for redundancy or even one for each servo, may also assist.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 08-28-2010, 11:53 PM
GizmoMadMax

HI Alan, sure, I guess what I meant to ask, or meant to explain was, I thought the optima 9 would power up via the dual batt/channel 9 port (of coarse the SPC port is the best way to power it) , but in my case, it seems i may have a bad optima 9, because it will NOT power up via a direct battery connection from a 5-cell 6v pack into the batt/channel 9 port, nor into any other port?

Sure, always use the SPC for safety, but it seems my optima 9 is bad?

for example, all my 7-channel optima 7's power up fine on the 3rd channel via an ESC or via the batt/channel 7 port and then I optionally solder in a connection for the SPC port off the direct battery connection, but the optima 7 still powers on and functions 100% perfect in any port when the SPC is not powered, but here on my first optima 9, my optima 9 will not power on, except via the SPC port, so it seems I have a bad optima 9?

Does this make sense what I am asking? trying to determine if I have a bad optima 9?
Thanks again!!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Alan is saying is if you don't use the SPC port for receiver power the jumper plug that came with the receiver must be plugged into the SPC port.

Did you do that?

TF
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

When is the gas gauge and other telemetry stuff coming out? Won't buy the radio before it does.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
GizmoMadMax

ORIGINAL: rctom

What Alan is saying is if you don't use the SPC port for receiver power the jumper plug that came with the receiver must be plugged into the SPC port.

Did you do that?

TF
not sure what you mean or are comparing, that is one in the same.... either plug into the SPC port with a male to male or solder int he extra connector to your battery source, one in the same... I know that...

What I am asking is this: The daRn receivers should work even if I do NOT (not not not not) plug into the SPC port, as I did with ALL my 6 & 7 channel optima receivers until I got around to undoing my standing 7-channel systems and soldering into my battery source to make a connector for the SPC port, BUT please understand my QUESTION.... so far, all my 6 & 7 channel receivers ALL work via channel 3 throttle port or the battery 7th channel port, but why doesn't the 9-channel also work...

yes yes yes yes I understand the SPC you want for avoiding brown-outs, not asking this... thank you

Thank you all for your reply's.
Thanks again in advance for helping me determine this 9-channel scenario I am facing []

Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax
ORIGINAL: rctom What Alan is saying is if you don't use the SPC port for receiver power the jumper plug that came with the receiver must be plugged into the SPC port. Did you do that? TF
not sure what you mean or are comparing, that is one in the same.... either plug into the SPC port with a male to male or solder int he extra connector to your battery source, one in the same... I know that...
What I am asking is this: The daRn receivers should work even if I do NOT (not not not not) plug into the SPC port, as I did with ALL my 6 & 7 channel optima receivers until I got around to undoing my standing 7-channel systems and soldering into my battery source to make a connector for the SPC port, BUT please understand my QUESTION.... so far, all my 6 & 7 channel receivers ALL work via channel 3 throttle port or the battery 7th channel port, but why doesn't the 9-channel also work...
yes yes yes yes I understand the SPC you want for avoiding brown-outs, not asking this... thank you
Thank you all for your reply's.Thanks again in advance for helping me determine this 9-channel scenario I am facing []
What I tried to convey, and again by rctom, andyou still have not clarified - is the SPCplug inserted when trying to power all fromthe servoside only?

The Optimatransceiverssignal connection to the servo port power bus is made through the jumper being inserted into the SPC port, if the jumper is removed then the RX is isolated from the servo bus and the receiver will not work..

The SPC port can have a battery plugged into it which will power the RX so it can send signals. This battery connection does not provide any power to the servo bus. i.e. there must always be a SPC Plug or a battery (switch)plug connecting appropriate two pins in the SPCPort. The SPC and Battery Plugs Are Wired Differently..

regards
Alan T.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

GizmoMax: I think what they are trying to say..........is if your not going to use the SPC port you have to put the jumper back in that came with the rx.
You have to either use the SPC by applying a power source or not use it and make sure the jumper is connected.
If the rx wont boot up with the jumper connected then you may have a problem.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Michel

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

Thats a great site you put up AT , and it was fun . the best I was able to do was .254 , .................. works for me . Must be age

Well I have a new question if someone would be kind to answer .

I have my flaps working . They are set on a three position switch . I used the end points to set '' UP '' and '' FULL '' flap . I used '' SUB '' to set my half flaps .

I have read the manual , but the wording doesn,t seem to match the way '' I '' understand it to read .

Here are my questions .

1 ) is this the right way to set-up flaps ?
2 ) I would like to have my flaps work at a certain percent of throttle ( this is where I get stuck ) This would mean that if I go lower than half flap ( for example ) , the flaps will deploy .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks

Michel
Hi
Any chance someone can give me a hand with this question .

Thanks for looking

Michel
Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 PM
GizmoMadMax

ORIGINAL: zero244

GizmoMax: I think what they are trying to say..........is if your not going to use the SPC port you have to put the jumper back in that came with the rx.
You have to either use the SPC by applying a power source or not use it and make sure the jumper is connected.
If the rx wont boot up with the jumper connected then you may have a problem.

AW MAN, Awesome, that is it, WOW, i somehow missed that until you mentioned it zero244!!!!! GREAT Job...
Now I did look back and sure enough RCTom mentioned it, but for some reason, the reverse wording by you hit the old noggin, duh on my part.
Then all the while, AT did a GREAT job on superb Tech support as always!!!

Sure enough, I just tried it, and it works perfect with the jumper plug in the spc port, so NOW i finally feel good that the 9-channel is working, I forgot I removed it a few months ago when I started this project, duh, my fault....

So now that I know everything checks out and YES folks, I will remove the jumper and power the SPC via the 7th server smartfly port!!!
so I hope to maiden this sometime this week!!!

thanks to all again!!!
Cheers !!!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Michel

Hi

Thats a great site you put up AT , and it was fun . the best I was able to do was .254 , .................. works for me . Must be age

I have my flaps working . They are set on a three position switch . I used the end points to set '' UP '' and '' FULL '' flap . I used '' SUB '' to set my half flaps .

I have read the manual , but the wording doesn,t seem to match the way '' I '' understand it to read .

Here are my questions .

2 ) I would like to have my flaps work at a certain percent of throttle ( this is where I get stuck ) This would mean that if I go lower than half flap ( for example ) , the flaps will deploy .

Thanks

Michel
Hi

Thanks for looking

Michel

Hi
Any chance that someone could have a look at this question

Could you Hitec guys have a look at this PPPPPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAASSSSEEEE

Michel
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Michel

Hi

Here are my questions .

Thanks

Michel
Hi

Thanks for looking

Michel
Hi

could someone have a look at this , really need the help

Thanks for looking

Michel
Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Michel - I don't use flaps, so this is purely an absolute GUESS....but it's an attempt, anyway.
I think you need a mix of THRO >>FLAP, probably a multi-point, and use the OST (OFFSET) to adjust the "deploy" part of the throttle movement, such that at that point, you have FULLmix (FLAPSgo full down, or what ever percent you want), then you can also set the flaps to track with throttle, if you want that.

As I said, I don't use FLAPS, but I have a smoke channel similarly setup, controlled by both a switch and a multi-point mix of THRO>>SMOKE, with an OFFSET, and it's doing what I want. I did a LOTof playing with it and watching the effects of things in the MONITORfunction until I had it close enough to actually setup. Ended up that what I'd set visually using the MONITORFunction was very close.

Hi

Here are my questions .

Thanks

Michel
Hi

Thanks for looking

Michel

Hi
Any chance that someone could have a look at this question

Michel
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 PM
A.T.

Hi Any chance that someone could have a look at this question
Michel [/quote]

Babysitting (literally & did not bring Aurora as it can not change nappies.)......
Required mixwould be similar to setting up low thottle activated on/off switch using P-Mix etc.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9752681 or a variation on
Aurora A9 - Retracts and Flaps Set up with Various Flight Conditions - posts #2052 & #2054.
Test scenarios using the monitor function.

will check further tomorrow.

regards
Alan T.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 PM
lunarhemal

Hi Michel,

Yes, you can setup the flaps in such a way that when you are lower than half throtle, the flaps will deploy to set levels. Alternatively, you can set the flaps to any of the side sliders so at full up, the flaps are level (0), at mid click tone - mid way and full down - fully deplyoed.

I have setup my Cessna Gasser 26CC such way, when i am lower than half, the flaps deploy the mid level and when i am down to idle, the AIRBRAKES will function making both the ailerons at full high, flaps at full low and elevaterlittle DOWN.

You need to mix the channels to logic the function.
Throtle ch mix to FLAPS
Flaps to Ailerons
Throtle to Elev. mix

IMPNOTE:Airbrake function is a bit tricky and need to be properly setup. If your brakesturnsONfirst before you actuallytouch down, you will crash !!!! - TRY FEW LOW PASS LANDING CHECKS WITH AIRBRAKES ON AND OFF, SEE THAT THE PLANE REMAINS LEVEL WITH AIRBRAKES, GENERALLY GOES UP, THEN ADD A LITTLE ELEV. TO LEVEL.

I did this with my Futaba 9C, but with lots of logic and trials breaking my head, but with Hitec A9, you have user friendly icons to click.

Try it and let me know.

Hemal
Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee When is the gas gauge and other telemetry stuff coming out? Won't buy the radio before it does.
Any day soon. Thisas our initial stockis now in NZ awaiting customs clearance and delivery into warehouse, say Thursday/Friday this week.

Regards
Alan T.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM
GizmoMadMax

Any word when Hitec will be putting out an Optima 4 or 5 - A 4 or 5-channel super small full range receiver?
I hope soon, I don't need to keep buying stacks of 6 channel receivers when I only need 4 for my smaller electric fleet that my son and I fly...[&o]

We need 4 or 5 ports and super small and super light, and would love at least the battery voltage feedback (transceiver portion) built into a new little unit that is 4 or 5 channels?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
JIMF14D

This contains some interesting commentary on Spektrum possiblities of finally going to a "no pick and stick" channel process. They might even catch up with Hitec Aurora 9 in a year or two...)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
PfalzPflyer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

This contains some interesting commentary on Spektrum possiblities of finally going to a ''no pick and stick'' channel process. They might even catch up with Hitec Aurora 9 in a year or two...)
I'm assuming there was supposed to be a link there somewhere?

Dean in Omaha
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
JIMF14D

My goof. Ilost the link to the story but it is on that guys site in New Zeland that does lots of RC system testing.
Jim D
Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 AM
JIMF14D

Ok here is the link. The lead in is at top of the page of articles. http://rcmodelreviews.com/

Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

This contains some interesting commentary on Spektrum possiblities of finally going to a ''no pick and stick'' channel process. They might even catch up with Hitec Aurora 9 in a year or two...)
That is JR not Spektrum. The two are absolutely not the same company. Spektrum who is owned by Horizon which only imports JR owns the DSM2 technology which they contracted with JR to use with an agreement that in the US Spektrum would sell radios in the 8ch and under category and JR would have the 9Ch's and above using DSM2 technology. Note that radio will never be sold in the US as long as their current agreement is in place since it is less than 9ch's. This is why the DX8 is only eight channels; the DX10 will also not be offered in the US as per this agreement too. I seriously doubt you will see a JR radio sold in the US using anything but DSM2 technology since Horizon calls the shots on this. Will Spektrum develop and release a FH system in the US? That is yet you be seen but doing so would mean they would be starting over since nothing will be compatible with it. Granted this is just my expert opinion but the only way I see a FH JR radio coming to the US is if they split from Horizon, unless somehow Spektrum adopts their technology which seems highly unlikely unless it was a joint venture.

Mike.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

JR was better when Circus was the distributor, before Indy/Horizon.

Mike,

How long before the telemetry add ons (GPS, Altitude/Airspeed) are available in the US?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I'm restraining my fingers and biting the nails to keep from responding about the JR/Spektrum stuff. It's not pertinent at all to Hitec or the Aurora radio, so I'm good with that....I do want to say that I have 8 airplanes and 3 helis programmed, lots of receivers, and this radio, for me, still has been the best damned performance value-point purchase in RCtechnology that I have ever made, and I've been in this since '76.

The new things coming downstream will just add to the basic platform and further enhance the value, IMO.

This has been the industry cage-rattler innovation that was predicted for a few decades, I think. Sure beats 72Mhz ANYTHING.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
JIMF14D

I think it is perfectly relevant since the guy mentions multiple versu single/dual antennas ala Futaba and Hitec.

Why does it always cause such a stir when anyone says something about potential comparitive performance here. Hard to understand. I did not bash any other system. I already know Hitec is best.....lol

Save your nails, lighten up...gees it is a hobby!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.