Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 AM
saucerguy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's A Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! (Part 2)

Looks good Orvie, seems rather docile and not seeing it bobbing around the sky, you sure it's tail heavy? EPP is the lightest foam you can use, just in case you are wanting to lighten it up, I've used the blue stuff before, it's so much heavier, be it, much easier to shape.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:18 PM
calvino

Well after poking around Foamflyers site more () I found he is thinking like me and has made a few "Soo's" out of foamcore and EPP combined. My idea is to make the wing with a KFM2 airfoil out of 1/2" epp (sloping the front) and then making the tail surfaces out of Foamcore, and the rest is just EPP. I also plan to try AP with this so the nose will be considerably shorter to compensate for the camera stuck in the nose, call it a "hacked up Soo"
Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: BJ64

Um.... are we allowed to talk 'boats' in this foamie thread?

BJ
Sure, anything goes. The only time I'll ever complain is if say this thread ends up only being balsa, flat foam, or other build materials and nobody is posting EPS stuff anymore. Then I'll have to start complaining. Don't mind seeing anything built from any type of material myself, so long as some EPS stuff is popping up and/or So variations once in a while.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
critterhunter

Any EPP (rubberized/flexable foam) I've ever played with was heavier than the EPS I use, and I'm using an EPS called Falcon foam used in construction, which is much more dense than the Home Depot stuff. But, this Falcon foam might be lighter than blue or pink foam because it's got somewhat larger pours, but still they are much smaller than the White EPS from Home Depot that most of us started building the So from. I like this Falcon foam better than any other EPS I've ever used. It's very strong due to being more dense with much smaller air pockets. For that reason it also sands real smooth and will bend a bunch before breaking, unlike the regular white EPS "box foam" at Home Depot. If you can locate a construction supply house around you I'd check this stuff out. It comes in huge thick chunks. I got a bunch for free from a guy who works in construction. These huge blocks were scrap since they were cut to the wrong dimensions to fit between rafters or something like that. I've got a whole garage attic full of the stuff. Probably enough for a life time.

I like the looks of that EDF plane by FoamFlyer that was posted. I need to get on his new site and snoop around. Who's got a link?

Saucerguy, that's a nice looking plane. With that thick of airfoil on the wing as well as the tail you'll probably get incredible lift at even very slow speeds. Remember that an airfoil on a h-stab can be tricky. The lift generated can do funky things to a plane. I normaly just make my tail feathers out of flat foam (cell foam 88) and strengthen them with flat carbon or bambo skewers. I keep the h-stab flat but will tilt it down a bit in the back just a hair (and of course that then means it's tilted up a hair in the front). Rather than keeping it level, doing this will keep trying pushing down on the wing in flight and so give the plane better traction or a better bite to the air with the wing. Sort of like putting weight in the trunk of your car to keep good traction, but with the opposite in mechanics involved. This will often also eliminate any downthrust needed for the motor, and unlike the motor which will lose this force when not running, the tail being that way always provides the force. Another way to get at it would be to shim the main wing, but I'll only do that for fine tuning if things don't feel right.

Been working on the So SFV a bit here and there and should have some new pictures to post soon. Orvie, I'm going to check out your video when I get on the other computer which has faster internet.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Orvie6

Hi guys.. was out maidening my new A-7 pusher the other day.. I had one of those keychain 'spy' camereas mounted to my hat bill. Well...since I never seem to get my hat on straight all the time, some of the videos did not come out as well as expected.. check out my video and you will see what I mean.. video is on Youtube..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5xjP8PPio..
On the way home, I broke a pair of my sunglasses...not on purpose, but...was going to throw them away, but after looking at them had a wild idea.. Check out my new camera mount!!! Took a piece of foamboard and cut it to match the frame of the glasses and hot glued it in place...it is white foam, but painted it black...put a piece of velcro on the top and presto...Cam fits just about my nose!! So now all I have to do is make sure my nose is pointed toward the plane and it should be more centered... Havent flown with this system yet, but did check it out by going outside and 'tracking' birds as they flew by...works great..
Hope you like the idea.. Comes in very handy when you are by yourself without a camera person along..
Free idea...so go for it..looks silly, but then, I guess one mounted on your hat probably does too...lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43330.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1441394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75048.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1441395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47394.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1441396  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
critterhunter

Great idea! Also that was clever to track some birds with it to see if it needs adjusting. I mounted my pocket camcorder on my crossbow so I could get a deer kill on video. Worked pretty well, but it was just a small button buck I got. Wish I would have had it on when I got a huge buck a few years ago. Now I always hunt with it on. Also a good way to catch some wildlife while sitting around waiting for a deer.

Just watched your other video posted before the one you just put up and that's a nice looking plane.

I'm toying with the idea of building that Salamandor posted because I've got two very powerful EDFs I bought a few years ago and they have yet made it onto a successful platform. Both were put on builds that didn't fly because they were so experimental. Well, the flying wing should fly but I just haven't taken the time to tweak out the COG and thrust angle. That's the one pain about EDFs....the only easy way to mount them is right on top of the fuse, and that looks sort of goofy to me. I think that plane of FoamFlyer's is the first I've seen where the EDF mounted on top kind of goes along with the looks of the plane.

I'm steadily working on the SO SFV here and there. Just made the booms for it. Normaly I'll do them out of foam and then sheet the left/right sides of them with 1/8" balsa to give them great strength, but I didn't have any foam laying around cut to the width I wanted and was too lazy to do that that day. So, I figured it's time to make my first body part for a plane out of balsa. I'm always kind'a down on balsa planes myself due to the amount of work involved compared to foam but I figured the two booms would be easy enough to try that way. They worked out pretty good. Just a basic long slender box of 1/8" balsa with no ribs or anything. Slanted the front and back into a wedge for air flow to keep things sleek. Will post some pictures once I sand them a bit to get rid of some rough edges and such. They for sure are light and strong. Heck, I might even do the V-tail out of balsa for another first for me. The fuse for sure is going to be done in my traditional manner of sheeting the left/right sides with balsa, though. So much easier and cheap to build a strong fuse, and no need for any carbon. About the only thing I'll put carbon in these days is a tube in the wing, or perhaps some flat carbon when I have it laying around to put in the ailerons and tail feathers.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Keep at it Critterhunter, before you know it, you'll be building an entire plane out of balsa. Don't be afraid to keep an open mind in regards to building materials. I found that with enough practice and using CA, the balsa creations go together remarkably fast, the main thing that I use to help are squares and blocks to keep things lined up while they dry. The sanding element is greatly reduced in balsa land compared to foam as well.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
saucerguy
Banned

I did get a chance to maiden the Mini Mambo, foamie style, it flew perfectly, had some issues with the motor mount, will beef it up a bit more before I take it out again. Complete build log is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245716 looks like we now have a new version of this kit being produced by yours truly. Made 3 extra's, one is spoken for with a local person via. craigs list. Gotta love how this little hobby can be so rewarding, and digging up these classic designs, converting them from stick and fuel to foam and electric, gives new life into them.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: saucerguy

Keep at it Critterhunter, before you know it, you'll be building an entire plane out of balsa. Don't be afraid to keep an open mind in regards to building materials. I found that with enough practice and using CA, the balsa creations go together remarkably fast, the main thing that I use to help are squares and blocks to keep things lined up while they dry. The sanding element is greatly reduced in balsa land compared to foam as well.

Naaa, EPS foam is my first and only love. To me balsa is harder to work with and to fix, but that's not to say I won't dabble in it here and there in the future, with these booms being my only balsa "body part" ever built so far. What I find hard is cutting the stuff. Even 1/8th inch balsa is very hard for me to cut even with a brand new blade in my exacto knife. Is there any trick to this?

Haven't really done much with the plane yet but will soon and then will post more pics. I'm considering using one of the high performance (speed) EDFs I have sitting around as I have two and neither has made it into a succesful platform yet. So far the designed I'ved installed them in have been highly experimental and didn't fly. I'm getting anxious to get one of those up in the air because I have yet to fly an EDF. If I do go this route then it looks like my Don's RC 450H motor once again misses it's chance. I'm going to start calling that motor Charlie Brown.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
critterhunter

By the way, I do love using balsa for sheeting the sides of fuses or booms, though. Just sheeting two sides with 1/8" balsa will really strengthen the foam and will also cause it and the foam to break cleanly in the event of a crash rather than compressing or bending like foam alone will do. It makes for quick/easy repairs. I just spread some Gorilla glue onto the foam and then put the balsa on with weights and tape to hold/contain the glue. Once it dries I just break out my belt sander and sand the excess balsa off, so I don't have to line things up clean or cut the balsa to exact dimensions. Fast and easy. I remember using carbon tubes in booms and fuses to try to keep them from blowing apart in a crash. What a nightmare that was. Much cleaner/cheaper doing it with balsa. I only use carbon tubes in wings now. Usually one but in the case of the dual boomer I use one near the leading edge of the wing and one near the back. I feel this greatly helps preven the fuse from breaking through the wing as well as obviously strengthening the wing in flight.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Critterhunter, get a balsa stripper, it will make short work of the 1/8" as well as light basswood. One of the reasons I still like balsa is how it feels in the air, it's just different, and at the same time, I really like to model, taking extra time to put a plane together doesn't bother me, especially seeing it's non stop rain, even if it was built, I'd be out of the loop for the hobby. I also think it's funny, people go out and buy some ARF or RTF, then complain they don't have adequet weather to go flying it, so it's sitting there for weeks, if not months doing nothing, they could have used that time to build their plane and made it very nice instead.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Ok, next on the build table, back to balsa kit land, guillows 28" wingspan rc converted kit, dontated to me by my deceased uncle.

Then onto a 3' wingspan p47 thunderbolt razorback, I have the plans for the full scale bird printed out, will make a nice foamie conversion.

Name:	Ig11094.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1455939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23314.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1455940  
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
saucerguy
Banned

Well, looks like I'm moving to cali, so opted not to into the razorback just yet, less to move the better at this stage. flying my stick built mambo with the heavier pack took it's toll on it's fuse, and of rebuilding that part, or putting together one of the foam kits I produced from before that are still laying around, I opted to bash one into a different plane all together. I decided for kicks to turn it into a saberjet/sports plane, didn't take a whole lot to adjust, just a little creative liberty and wallah, I have the airframe I bashed together in a couple of hours. going to cover the rest of it with clear tape, add some blue colored tape markings, and take her out likely tomorrow.

Mustang flew well, and the power system was far, far overkill for it, way too much metal and pack for it to handle the interta matter, scale it way, way, back guys if you do one.

Name:	Xu62820.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1481791  
Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
saucerguy
Banned

Well, very much developed a winning combination on this one. It's not a floater yet fly's with nice authority, it does require being launched at a decent amount of velocity or it will tip stall, but once in the air, around 1/2-2/3 throttle, it flew wonderfully. I recreated the fuse after fine tuning where the COG is on it. It's now my favorite, it's more stable then a warbird, but is not boring at all, not a beginners plane.

Name:	Hf98990.jpg
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1485208  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM
javabased

For what it's worth, I thought I would post a shot of my plane. After reading through this thread I decided that this would be my first home built foam plane. The only problem I had was with the wing design. Since this was going to be my first plane and on a budget, I didn't want to go through the time and expense of making a hot wire cut wing. So I decided to build by own out of straight foam. The first one was two angled pieces and didn't work very well, mainly because it was too narrow. My second design was a piece of cake to make and works fantastic, so I thought I'd share a picture of it.

It is made with a piece of 1/2" blue insulation foam on top and and 4MM depron on the bottom, which is what the aileron is cut from. It still required a carbon spar along the top for reinforcement, but it flies really well on 3S and is an absolute blast!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Name:	Rl26088.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1492922  
Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM
saucerguy
Banned

REally nice, and welcome to the So. club!!! It's good to see variations of this bird, and yeah, your airfoil is not perfect, it doesn't need to be, it looks like you are having fun, so that's all that matters. Good job!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM
javabased

Thanks. I'm sure it would fly fine with a flat wing, but I gave it a bit of rounded-ness to the leading edge and extended the lower part of the wing because I wanted it larger and didn't want all that weight of the blue foam. Later I found out that there is actually a similar wing design called KFm that incorporates a step-down but it isn't quite as square as mine. Maybe my next version will have more of a true KFm wing.

Any idea what the name stands for and is it So or soo?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Orvie6

The KFm wing is for Kline-Fogelman...the 'dicsovers' of the airfoil..there is a good write up somewhere on the net..just googly "Kline-Fogelman" and you should find the info.. and it is just So...no second 'o'..
Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
critterhunter

Hey all, been away doing a lot of metal detecting in my spare time, but with the advent of winter projects I'm starting to build a few planes again to add to my line up. Saucerguy, that plane is real nice. I plan to try to get on more frequently and post as I get back into building some planes.

I always been one to make strength my primary goal and weight my secondary. After flying and seeing a few of Alex's low weight builds, I thought I should add something as light as possible to my line up for those windless days. I also wanted something with so low of wing loading that it would ride the slightest of thermals. With all that in mind I figured I'd want something that was sort of a hybrid between an ugly/slow stick type plane and a glider. Not really either type but something halfway between the two.

Walmart has 31" carbon arrow shafts on sale/clearance right now for $2.50 a piece, as the brunt of buying arrows for deer hunting is already over with most people having already bought what they need for this season. That's when Walmart will clear things out for the year.

The fuse of this plane is two carbon arrow shafts epoxied side by side for better rigidity/less flex. They are 31" long but with my elevator sticking off the back and the motor up front it should be around 34" in total length.

I also used two of these arrow shafts to strengthen the wing and hold the dihedral. I found a bolt that matched the hole on them that the arrow heads would screw into normally and cut off the head, bent it into the proper angle, and then screwed both shafts together with some CA to lock in place. Melted a channel into the foam and then glued it in with some Gorilla Glue.

The wing is made from a lighter/less dense EPS foam than I normally used that Alex had got a while back from I think Dan (Carnifax?), since I'm going for as little weight as possible. It's still much denser/strong than the normal Home Depot white box type foam.

The wing is I think 47" long and using two USA 27 airfoils, the one at the tip being a bit smaller so that the trailing edge of the wing tappers forward a bit. The tip is 6" and the root is I think around an inch to an inch and a half or so wider.

The tail feathers are CellFoam 88 that I plan to strengthen with either flat carbon or bamboo skewers. Controls will be rudder/elevator using two HXT900 servos.

The motor is going to be a blue wonder using a custom wind and probably an 8" prop. I plan to screw the motor mount into the two arrow head threads at the tip of the arrow shafts. I'll either use a stock disc mount meant for the motor or make a tube mount for added streamlining.

The battery will be a 3 cell 750ma 20C Rhino. This is a first for me as all my planes run on 2200ma 3 cell packs, but I had two of these smaller packs laying around for powering my metal detector so I figured why not make a light plane to use them as well.

I don't plan on adding any foam fuse to this plane. It'll just be the two arrow shaft stick frame you see in the pics. The lipo will just strap to the shafts using two or three velcro loops. The ESC and RX will also be secured to the shaft using zip ties. The servos will probably be mounted to the shaft just in front of the tail feathers. I'm going for as light as possible here and the bare essentials. Also plan to add light weight landing gear to this plane. The wing will be removable via to nylon bolts for transport.

The pics you see are just a mock up using tape of the body parts to get a general idea of how things are going to look.

UPDATE…

I thought about using rubber bands to hold the wing on but I had a belly full of that when just getting into RC using the Aerobird Challenger and Aerobird Extreme. They are always breaking/dry rotting and I always seem searching for good rubber bands while in the field. Besides, I don't want to muck the wing up with stuff to prevent the bands biting into it. I prefer nylon bolts and will probably do the same method on this build, tapping a piece of wood for them to thread into.

After thinking about various methods to mount the motor I figured out what I want to do. Since the two carbon arrow shafts are glued side by side the top/center of them provides a nice snug spot for the motor's shaft to rest on. I plan to put a dab of shoe goo onto this spot and then use two zip ties to snug it up. The shaft on these blue wonders is fairly long so it should work well without needing the normal disc motor mount, which would muck up the air flow anyway if I used one of those.

I'm just having a hard time getting excited about this build. Usually when I think of a new concept I'm more motivated at building it. The lack luster looks of this build using carbon as the fuse and no foam body doesn't allow for much artistic creativity in building it. Still, I keep reminding myself that this plane is unlike anything I have in my hangar and will for sure fly different being so ultra light, as compared to all my builds which lean on the heavy side. There are days when I want to fly something that will stay aloft with very low (like walking pace) speed as well as ride on the faintest of thermals.

I need to repair the damage to my P38 from last year or so. It's not really all that bad other than needing a few new motor shafts and some minor glue work. That plane flew like silk with it's dual motors and was a real pleasure to fly on it's first maiden. I upped the rates way too high for it's next flight and it was a jerky mess causing me to wreck it.

The big glider is still in flying condition but I think I'll sand/re-cover the front end from previous damage a while back. Stryker still needs a few 27C elevons but is otherwise ready. Dual Boomer is of course flight ready too. Need to finish up the AP pusher as that's more than half done.

Does anybody know off hand if Hobby City still carries Suppo 40 amp ESCs? I don't think they do last time I checked and those are my favorites. Is there an ESC as cheap on there that everybody seems to like these days? Also need to pick up a few RXs from there. What's the cheapest of those that work fine these days? If Hobby City doesn't carry those do they have a matching shaft meant for another motor? I need them for the P38 repair.

Name:	Db84722.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1528157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33323.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1528158  
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Orvie6

Critter ..
Lukes RC has the Suppo 40 amp for $20.. and not that far from you...well..kinda, but still somewhat 'local'...lol
http://www.lukesrcplanes.com/catalog...21i5ofvsdqhc14
Old 12-01-2010, 11:03 AM
saucerguy
Banned

I happen to be working on a floater myself as well Critterhunter. I'm in Cali now, better weather, plenty of super calm days and I have plenty of access to larger fields now, also have a small pasture in the front yard area, of which I'm really wanting to be able to fly a plane out onto. I'm completely scaled down, so am using the manual approach to it all, showing yet again, those that don't have the gear can still bash together a nice foamie, be it, it's more messy. I'm using an undercambered airfoil on it to maximize lift.

Name:	Bz78738.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1528778  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 AM
critterhunter

Nice to hear from you again and see you are still lurking on this thread. Would like to see Fisher pop in too.

Got some more work done on the stick glider/slow stick type hybrid. Wind has two carbon arrow shafts joined at the arrow head bolt holes via a bent bolt with the head cut off. The two shafts should help to hold dihedral/strengthen wing, glued in with Gorilla Glue of course. Tail feathers are Cell Foam 88 and I strengthened those with bambo skewers and some wood sticks sunk into that foam as well, once again using Gorilla glue. I like to just groove out the chambers for these things in the tail feathers with a stick or something, where as I melt out the chamber for the arrow shafts in the wing using a soldering iron. Was removing the Tyvek tape (best tape in the world for sticking to foam, found in the insulation section of home improvement stores) I used to glue them in when I realized there was no need to remove it, so that's why the tape looks funky on the tail feathers. Epoxied the V-stab to the H-Stab. Already got the tail glued to the fuse, which is just two arrow shafts epoxied side by side for extra rigidity and to make mounting stuff on it easier than it would be with just one arrow shaft. Glued two plastic washers to the wing with epoxy for the wing bolts. I normaly use some bass or ply wood cut out squares to sink into the wing and grab more surface area to prevent ripping through, but this plane is so light I figured the washers should be more than enough. I'm also using smaller nylon bolts than the 1/4" (I think) I normaly use. Plan to drill through the carbon arrow shaft "fuse" for the bolts to pass through and be secured with plastic nuts on the bottom.

This thing is going together real fast being a stick type frame like this. With the tail already glued to the frame I'll mount the motor today and go from there. Going to secure the Blue Wonder with custom wind to the front of the frame via a bit of Shoe Goo and a couple zip ties rather than use a disc motor mount to further streamline things. More pics as I go.

Come on people, put up some pics and info on your EPS or even other builds! I plan more builds soon with pictures. Still need to throw together my So based swept forward high speed plane. I might just throw an EDF on that if I don't use the Don's 450H high speed motor.

Name:	zx72514.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1529264   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr51838.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1529265   Click image for larger version

Name:	db86039.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1529266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25492.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1529267  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM
critterhunter

Hobby City/King used to sell them as "Super Simple" 40 amp ESCS for like $8 or something, but they were Suppos. Do they still carry those but called something else now? A friend did some tests on various high and low end ESCS and found the Suppos were very efficient compared to the Tower Pros and such. I used to always buy 30 amp ESCS but the size/weight isn't any different than these 40's and they are so cheap it's always nice to have more amp ability than you need to keep things cool.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 AM
critterhunter

What's overkill for some is way under kill for others, or me I should say. The problem with Cell Foam 88 is that while it's fairly stiff, it will simply snap when flexed too far. With the bambo skewers and a few wood sticks in the tail feathers it keeps things from flexing for more snappy flight characteristics, and they also provide "flex" ability without allowing the foam to snap if need be. Besides, I like something in the foam where the horns bolt to prevent them pulling through on a crash.

My "normal" strength mod for tails is flat carbon, so I'm "skimping" there...And my normal strength mod for a wing is two carbon shafts parallel to each other near the leading and trailing edges along with Extreme strapping tape over those, so I'm skimping a bit there as well.

This plane is going to be so light anyway with the stick frame, blue wonder, 750ma pack, and the fact that I used a less dense foam rather than my normal densor Falcon foam, that I can afford a few liberties in terms of strengthening things up perhaps more than they need to be in most crashes.

I got the tail glued on yesterday and the motor mounted with bullet plugs to it and the ESC (20 amp). Today I'll probably mount the rudder/elevator servos and then figure out where the wing needs to go for proper COG. I need a general balancing test on that so I can get an idea of about where the wing/battery are going before fine tuning things.

Mounted the motor with a zip tie around the stick frame with some Shoe Goo, so I didn't need to use a mounting plate. Also mounted the tail to the frame with Shoe Goo. I like some flex without risking cracking the glue in these types of areas, where as Epoxy can be prone to that. Be careful, this stuff melts foam but I had Tyvek tape on the bottom of the h-stab anyway where that went to protect the foam from the glue.

Planning on making light weight landing gear for the thing that I can throw on or remove when wanted. Yea, it's going to be a very light plane that you wouldn't want much drag to, but I figure it's already saving so much drag with the stick body that I can afford to spend some drag on landing gear. I'll probably also put a folder prop on it down the road for better soaring ability riding thermals.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
critterhunter

Here's a thread along with further links that fits very nicely into our dual boomer So thread. Take a good look at this design. I would wager the designer ran acrossed a So or two for inspiration, not to mention that Foam Flyer has many builds that look a lot like this. I'm throwing a link to our thread on their's so that they can also draw some ideas and inspirations from us just like we will from them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348417

Name:	Mk25858.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1529685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29747.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1529686  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.