Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Want to learn (Newbie)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Want to learn (Newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Loocass13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to learn (Newbie)

Hi guys!

I'm a newbie so i need your help. Well first, i play rc heli for 6months and a friend of my father gave his plane (Flying cat 90) as a present for me and it doesn't have any electronics. He said that it requires an engine. I searched the net and found this:http://www.nitroplanes.com/flying-ca...er-rc-jet.html. It indicates here that theEngine Required is 2c 0.91 ; 4c 1.20. My questions are, what are the electronics needed. What does2c 0.91 ; 4c 1.20means? What type of servos, retracts, etc. do i need to use? Put some links. it will help me a lot.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Want to learn (Newbie)

First point, go to a club and talk it over with people there who know what they are talking about.

As for you query, "2c 0.91" is a 2 stroke nitro powered engine with a 0.91 cubic inch (15cc) capacity.
A "4c 1.2" motor is a 4 stroke nitro motor of 1.2 cubic inches (20cc) in capacity.
The reason they list both motor options is they both produce about the same power despite the size difference, 4 strokes produce more down low in the rev range and use less fuel (but cost a LOT more), where a 2 stroke produces it grunt higher in the rev range and use more gas, yet are cheaper to buy - different people also like the feel of a specific type of motor, so personal choice can come into it also.

Going by the motors your looking at, this is a big and powerful (and potentially very dangerous) plane you have, and not something I'd ever want to see a newbie start flying with without getting some serious help first.
I have personally been flying helis since January 2009, and took out my .61 sized trainer for its (and my) first plane flight on Sunday just gone, and all I can say is that I'm glad I took the time to get some help.
The control feel is totally different from that one I get off my large nitro powered .50 sized helicopter, which makes for a steep learning curve when switching from a helicopter (as that is all I had ever flow prior to Sunday) to a plane. May I recommend that you get a trainer like a basic electric foamie before heading out with that monster, as at least then you'll be able to get a better understanding of how the plane flies, how it reacts and just what your capabilities are.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Loocass13,
Keep the Flycat hanging in your room for a while. Start RC flying by FIRST visiting a flying club. See what they recomend for beginers. Luckily there are lots of options for starting RC.
Read the first few posts at the top of this forum.
Then decide what your budget for RC is and these guys can make some sugestions.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Loocass13

I'm planning to buy 3CH foam plane first before getting into that plane.

Thanks a lot for your tips and information. It's a big help. Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Find out who will teach you BEFORE you buy anything. This way you can get a radio that will Buddy Box with the teacher's. AND get a plane the teacher finds exceptable. There are a lot of foam planes out there, some are really good some are junk. Checking with an instructer first can save you some money and aggrivation.
This is a REALLY fun hobby your going to have a blast. Expect to make repairs along the way.
Building and or fixxing is part of it. This is also a consideration for first planes...easy to repair.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Montague

Btw, you say you've been flying a heli for 6 months. that's good, and will help with flying an airplane. And, of course, I don't know what you can do with the heli. Can you do forward flight? Aerobatics? 3D? nose-in? hover in a steady spot? What heli are you flying?

I mention this because helis and airplanes do fly differently, and in my experience, even long-time heli pilots can have issues with a few places where airplanes and helis are very different. Specifically, take off and landing is very different with an airplane. Rudder use in the turn is a bit different as well, but that's not huge.

I agree with the other suggestions to find a local club or at least someone who's flying the same general type of planes for help.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 PM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: Montague

...................I mention this because helis and airplanes do fly differently, and in my experience, even long-time heli pilots can have issues with a few places where airplanes and helis are very different. Specifically, take off and landing is very different with an airplane...................

+ 1 on that ..... I found it a LOT different in the basic 'feel' when flying my .61 nitro 2 stroke powered trainer for the first time on Sunday, the lack of 'instant' response and general 'laziness' in how the plane flew is going to take some mental adjustments coming from my .50 sized nitro heli. It was an odd feeling that's for sure, was almost like flying drunk for lack of a better term (it's me and not the plane either, I had it test flown prior to me getting my hands on it and the basic response was she's flying "sweet")
Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Montague

Yeah, that too. .

Watch your airspeed on final while landing. One heli pilot I worked with when doing the transition seemed to really want to slow the plane down to a hover before touchdown. Didn't really work that well. More to the point, and as a more useful suggestion, take the plane up high and practice flying it around as slow as you can, holding the nose high. Get a little used to what it does right before and after a stall, what it looks and feels like. That's something helis just don't do, and the way the ailerons go away, but the rudder remains more effective is unique to fixed wing. Slipping in a cross wind is also something different, but since moving the rudder and ailerons in opposite directions is natural for heli guys, it's not the finger movements so much as knowing what it should look like that's the issue.

(I think I forgot to mention, I fly a T-Rex 450 to goof off with. I'm nothing special with a heli, I can loop, hammer, and roll and sometimes save it when I screw up, but that's about it. I fly the heli as a change of pace and to keep skills sharp, it helps my rudder use flying fixed wing for example).
Old 08-27-2010, 03:22 PM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: Montague

........ I fly the heli as a change of pace and to keep skills sharp, it helps my rudder use flying fixed wing for example).
For me, my new trainer IS the change of pace. While I totally LOVE my nitro heli due to it's complexity, and the simple fact it's like two beasts in one - nice and easy to fly 'sport' as I have it set up, and a total animal if/when I back the expo settings off and up the throttle curve.
The trainer on the other hand (and the plane that will replace it as soon as I'm comfortable flying a plank), are there as a more relaxed method of getting the enjoyment from this hobby without the 100000000% concentration that any 3D capable heli demands. The planes I'm interested in right now are also worth less than half what my heli is, so there is not that total fear of $$$$ if something goes wrong, so it's also nice to have that removed from the equation too!! (even more so when you take into account I swapped and old RC yacht that I was totally done with for that plane and some cash, so right now, I owe IT some money, not the other way around!! [sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=thumbup.gif])
Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
speedair

Learn to fly trainers first with your instructor because there are a lot of stuff you need to learn first
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
LargeScale88

Investigate and purchase a sim before anything. After you get a hang of the trainer on the sim, than you can go fly a real rc plane with an instructor at the field.

That type of airplane your looking at is a fast airplane, is probably a 4th or 5th airplane, not a trainer.

Good Luck!