Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Os Alpha 4 strokes Rusted Bearings!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM
slembones
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os Alpha 4 strokes Rusted Bearings!!

I have ALL of the Alpha 4 strokes. (56,72,81,110) I have had them less than a year. I run my engines dry at the end of each flying session and use 20 drops or so of air tool oil into the carb. I flip the prop about a dozen times and then apply my stater to get the oil to blow by the piston and get to the bearings. I store the planes hanging nose down. 3 of the 4 engines have developed significant rust in the main/rear bearing. this condition is not covered by warranty. My question is does OS have a specific procedure for eliminating this problem? I tend to be a stickler for details and the manual is rather vague about proper care IMHO. The issue is that there is no actual way to flush the bearings because the engines have no breather. If you have read Harry Higley's All About Engines 4 stroke clean up specifically describes flushing out the bearing through the breather with oil. As much or more than an ounce! the acids and fuel residue are removed by this action and bearings do not rust. you know this and I am just writing it so we are on the same page. So I ask you how can I be sure my bearings are clean and rust free if there is no system for flushing them without removing the engine from the air frame. removing the back plate and oiling/flushing them out and reinstalling everything. I feel this issue has been overlooked on the design of the engine. My older 4 strokes with breathers have never had rust. Though I like the quality and performance of these engines I cannot purchase another one until this issue is resolved to my satisfaction. I have just ordered $112 in bearings to straighten out engines that I have owned for less than a year. something doesn't seem right. Terence
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Os Alpha 4 strokes Rusted Bearings!!

i dont know if this will stay here but put a post in here about bearings on my 120AX and others at the field where the bearings dont last very long and it got deleted. there is a problem with OS bearings and the fuels today. when ever you buy new bearing need to order the Boca Stainless steel bearings. they will last for over 300 hours where the OS bearings are good for less than 5-10 hours. If this gets the boot i will PM you and will bring up in the Glow forum. Any 60 and bigger OS i Buy i replace the bearings before i even run it. It sucks paying for the most expensive engine out there and have cheap bearings in the engines. They may be great bearings when new but are to rust forming even if after run is used. they way it was told to me you have to use 1-2 ounces of after run after ever day when done and spin the engine to get rid of any fuel. then when the next comes and you have to spend extra time to get the engine to run. to much work for cheap bearings. Like i said i run the Boca SS bearings and dont have to do any of this and they last for a long time. Do a search and many threads out there.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 PM
frenchie79

You have more experience with the Alpha's than I do. I ran a 110 all last year, never used after run oil just ran it dry after the day. Pulled the engine this spring, checked valves and general cleaning, inspected internals and it was clean as could be?? I've run a couple more gallons through it this year and am thinking I should check again. I'm using Wildcat fuel 15% 18% synt. Oil.
I keep my planes and engines in a Dry, stable environment in the house, maybe that helps??
Keep up on this post-hope others will take a look.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM
slembones

My airplanes don't get flown every week. Also I used coolpower 15% nitro and I add 1.3 ounces of castor per gallon for superstition (18% total oil). the wildcat fuel might have less of tendency to rust an OS bearing. I'll check out the Bocas. I'm off now to rebuild my 110 and 81 both with about 2 hours on them....

Terence
Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
slembones

I could not find a stainless steel bearing that is the correct size for my engines from Boca Bearings at this time. I searched under stainless steel RC Engine bearings. I've sent them an email about this issue. I will post the result.

Terence
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you call them they can help you out. They also sell some ceramic ones too.

wildcat fuel and no rust hum i wonder whats different than some others maybe need to run that fuel in the OS's
Old 07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
slembones

I recall Wildcat has Klotz oils in it. Could be they know something others don't or it could be luck. thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

Terence
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM
slembones

what happened to the replies that were here?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a manufacturer forum and by the rules nobody is allowed to reply other than the manufacturer. This is an interesting situation and good fuel with rust preventives and no nitro fuel would certainly help, but in the days of 30% nitro......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/RCU_..._377662/tm.htm
Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

if internal corrosion is a problem for you I would suggest a fuel with part castor as the oil package. most, if not all synthetic oils are water soluble, and the methanol in or fuel absorbs water as do all alcohols. castor (or any other vegetable oil for that matter) will not wash away with water.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been about 48 hours since the original post. We've sent an email to O.S. for an answer to this question. Not getting an "instant" reply is not getting "no support", as you posted in another thread.

We'll answer as soon as we get a reply.

Thanks for your patience.

Also...this is not a discussion forum, per RCU rules. It is for people to ask the O.S. support staff for help and for the O.S. support staff to reply. If you want information from other modelers, you must post in the Glow Engines forum.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
slembones

First of all I apologize for not using this forum correctly. I am new to forums. you have misquoted me. I have checked all of my original posts and I can not find anywhere where I have written "no support". I did say that I may have to go to Japan to get some real answers. Also, you might have sent your answer to this post sooner because your answer is that you are checking with the factory. Which I think is completely acceptable and I thank you for that. Let me be clear. I want to love my OS Alpha 4 strokes! I do not have any ill feeling about this product. I hope this issue can be resolved. If OS has no definitive answer then someone should be doing research as to the actual proper and effective maintenance of the Alpha series engine. It's a relatively new design and If this design is to continue maintenance has to be practical. thank you for your time and attention I look forward to hearing about what the factory suggests.

Terence
Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Bax

Also...this is not a discussion forum, per RCU rules. It is for people to ask the O.S. support staff for help and for the O.S. support staff to reply. If you want information from other modelers, you must post in the Glow Engines forum.

sorry, Bax, I'm used to posting in the YS engine thread, which is open for other modelers to respond. then I came across the O.S. thread and was trying to help with actual RPMs from actual propellers, as the OP asked for.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM
slembones

any word about my issue? I have done my own testing and found that 50 to 60 drops of MMO or airtool oil (15 at a time then hand crank then starter crank.) does the trick obviously a little more for the 110 and less for the 56....lots and lots of oil though, since then.. no additional rust issues. FYI
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
morpower
My Feedback: (40)

I have 2 81a's I bought for a TF B-25. I have been breaking them in per mfg recomendations. I run them out of fuel at end of day. I have about 10 runs each and they are 9 month's old. I AM AMAZED AT THE RUST ON THE REAR BEARINGS when I pulled the backplate off. I used morgan fuel with klots added to equal 18% oil. My YS engines never rusted like this.
john
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
slembones

I am switching to saito and ys,
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is normal to have to add after-run oil to four-stroke engines. A few drops isn't the solution. We flood our engines with oil after running.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM
slembones

agreed, I think OS needs some hard numbers and actual recommendations in their manuals. As you know the manual says put some oil in there if you plan to store it for some months. What is should says is "after the last flight of the day run the engine dry. while it is still warm put 10 drops of after run oil in the carb and turn the engine over by hand then with your starter. do this 10 times. then store the engine nose down. do these steps or rust may(will!) develop on your bearings, crank, and camshafts." that might have saved my bearings. I'll admit I'm inexperienced with glow engines so my bad for not knowing the usual end of day routines. But OS should have a kick ass manual the helps even the novice take good care of their engines. There are a few angry (rusted) OS alpha owners out here who would agree.

Slembones