Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

need advise on brushless motor and esc for new project.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
hpijunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on brushless motor and esc for new project.

I have always been into nitro.
but after seeing the savage flux in action i want to go brushless.
i have a hpi mt2 rollor that i want to convert to brushless.
already found the conversion kit from blue force.

i dont know anything about brushless motors other than they are fast.
what motor / esc do you recomend on the hpi mt2 4x4?

and is there anything else i need to know about doing this converison???

thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: need advise on brushless motor and esc for new project.

Something like the Mamba Monster Max combo with the 2800 Kv motor would do good on 4s. I'm assuming the MT2 is lighter than a typical Emaxx and a little heavier than a 2wd ST.

If that's too pricey (I know for me it is) I'd go the custom right, with a budget system. Hobbywing 80 or 150A ESC can handle 3-4s lipo, and you can use a generic 3000-3500 Kv "L" sized motor (36mm x 65mm) which should move it along 30-40 mph or more depending on gearing/weight/batteries.

Good motors, which result in lower temperatures, and better efficiency/speed, are 99% of the time going to be expensive depending on quality. I would suggest if you got the dough, to spend it on a Neu/Lehner or similar $150-$200 motor. If that's too much (again, for me it is), look for Medusa 36x60 mm motors in the same general 3000 kv range. I have a 3300 Kv Medusa (runs cooler than my generic Chinese motor), they are discontinued, but if you can nab a new or even lightly used one for $75-$100 you're lucky!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

For the money, the 80A Xerun ESC with a 2000Kv motor is probably the way to go. Several people have successfully used the 80A on the bigger, heavier savage, so it should be fine for the MT2. On 4S lipo with the proper gearing, it should be crazy fast and stay acceptably cool.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a Nitro MT1 on a 35t 540 can brushed motor for awhile. Thing would hit around 25mph easy with a 11t pinion. I actually scrapped it from issues with the mod1 5mm to 3mm adapter's, but now that would be no issue with the Ofna pinions for their SCT that are 3mmbore and mod 1.

Agree with the motor KV rating keep it LOW, but 4s would be overkill IMO due to how highly geared the MT2 is.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
J.D.T

4s will be brutal fast and very hard on spider gears, I run mine most of the time on 2s with a mamba 4600 or a 5000 kv feigao 7s for yard playing and light bashing, for bashing with real monster turcks I go wtih 3s and either a xl 3100 lehner or 3500 kv 7L feiago, ran by mamba max or max pro depending on which is available at the time. I didn't use a kit, first I had a mini t 540 motor mount in there, after that I just got some 2 x 2 aluminum angle and made the motor mount, 1 inch wide 1/8 inch aluminum was used for the center diff to diff cases braces

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37940.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1494115  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM
J.D.T

not a mini t, a mini quake 540 mount is what I had at first lol. The CKRC conversion kit is very nice but kinda high at $130
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well here was mine
I used a L-bracket airplane motor mount on that revision
Battery box was made from a stampede chassis I found for around $5
for the steering servo I used the radio plate off a Brama 10b

I'm currently drawing up plans for V3 (V2 doesn't have pics cause I had issues with its drive chain due to it coming from another RC) Only thing holding me up is trying to find dogbones because I want to use a center differential out of a jammin .5crt for its drive gear
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84867.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1494143  
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM
hpijunkie

thanks for the info so far.

very new to electric brushless system.
after reading the info posted so far i am thinking that this "Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro+ 5700 kV"
motor / esc combo will work. not sure.

its $195 at tower hobbies. its the only place that i have looked so far. i know there are other areas that may be cheaper than tower hobbies.
tower hobbies just seams to have a lot of products and a tech listing about what the product is. good place to window shop.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: hpijunkie

thanks for the info so far.

very new to electric brushless system.
after reading the info posted so far i am thinking that this ''Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro+ 5700 kV''
motor / esc combo will work. not sure.

its $195 at tower hobbies. its the only place that i have looked so far. i know there are other areas that may be cheaper than tower hobbies.
tower hobbies just seams to have a lot of products and a tech listing about what the product is. good place to window shop.
that it is.
Window shopping is about all I will do there though
I live in state and have to pay sales tax along with shipping which pumps the bill up quite nicely. It actually makes more sense to call my LHS and have them order me the part and pay them seeing I'll save on shipping(and there 5%-10% under towers price which is tax ).
Honestly I've only ordered one part from them, and that was only because the only other place I could locate it was japan...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
J.D.T

the mm 5700 ran a little to hot for my liking, I would say go for the 4600 if you want the combo, and rcmonster is at $169.99 on the mm pro kits.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 PM
hpijunkie

ok good point on motor running hot.

what about the motor/esc from the stampede?
or is that motor/esc not very good for 4x4?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
J.D.T

If you mean the vxl brushless system that would be ok, decent for 2s bashing and stupid on 3s, I personally have alot more respect for the vxl motor than I do the esc, IMO the esc ain't a pimple on the butt of even a plain mamba max let alone the pro.
If you mean the xl 5 esc and 12 turn titan I am sure it would power it but no where near what even a cheapy hong kong 45 amp brushless system would do.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
hpijunkie

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

If you mean the vxl brushless system that would be ok, decent for 2s bashing and stupid on 3s, I personally have alot more respect for the vxl motor than I do the esc, IMO the esc ain't a pimple on the butt of even a plain mamba max let alone the pro.
If you mean the xl 5 esc and 12 turn titan I am sure it would power it but no where near what even a cheapy hong kong 45 amp brushless system would do.

Yes i mean the vxl brushless.
i only bash my rcs. dont have time to race them.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

the xl-5 would work I ran mine with a HPI off a Brama 10b
The Titan would royally fry in under a minute
Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM
J.D.T

You should be able to gear the mt2 to whatever you want motor wise, I run mine with the 52 spur and 12 pinion for 4 inch tires, thats just under 1.0 rollout (.993) 12.6:1 final drive ratio and 52/10 for five inch tall tires, thats just over at 1.035 rollout and 15.1:1 final drive ratio. It could probably be pushed into the 1.5 range at 52/15 with 5 inch. or 1.24 rollout with 4 inch and a decent brushless setup but I like torque more than top speed, 35-40 is easy on 2s, 3s is 60 +, it will do a standing start flip if you get the right combination of power and traction on 2s, 3s is just to much and the tires are to busy spinning, ballooning etc. The best setup for one guy ain't gonna be what another guy wants, if you go brushless buy a temperature gun and pay attention to your temps, if you like to burn the tires through the grass all day you will need a much different setup than if you want to drive it in the grass and nail it across the driveway and sidewalk areas, or if you run on gravel its boand to be different, My truck will take down to a 8 tooth pinion, thats fdr of 18.98 but I don't want to put any tires bigger than 5 inch on there as the wheelies are just to fun and I can't resist being an idiot basher, sometimes to much power makes your wheely a one wheel wheely which blows the spider gears if you stay on it wrong or get out of it wrong, I had never had the problem with four inch tires but the mashers are taller wider and maybe just put to much rotational strain on the diffs.