Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilot RC 73" Sbach

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilot RC 73" Sbach

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Pilot RC 73

Thanks for the input. If I get one I will order it from Chief so I would assume it the newer version with the short box. It sounds like Pilot-RC makes some really ARFs. A buddy at my local field has a Pilot-RC Yak and he really likes it. Is the Sbach a good airplane for basic IMAC/scale type flying? I am not into 3D.

Thanks again,
Tony
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thinking about going this route with gas for power. I read through all of this, but have seen mostly building notes, not flying. So.... for those of you flying, what's up? How does it fly? Specifically, wondering about wierdness (e.g. knife edge coupling, tracking through loops? Does it look like it's dog tracking in a vertical climb?). Saw the CG notes, so wondering if anyone has anything to say about those after getting more stick time? How are the gassers coming out regarding weight? Maintenance issues developing?

Would you recommend the plane based solely on how it flies?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This plane flies very very well. I have found no bad habits. Knife edges are clean with almost no coupling. Hi alfa manuvers have almost no wing rock. It flies where you point it. I liked it so much I ordered another one only larger. This is a well thought out airplane. The quality of the kit is one of the best I have seen and very complete. If you are thinking about this plane make sure you are getting the latest version designed for the DLE30v2. Some other fellows complained about the tail wheel assy. Im still using mine and have not had an issue with it. I found mine to be tail heavy on the recommended balance point on the rear of the wing tube. Not a problem just moved the RX battery 3" forward which put the CG about the center of the wing tube. I Found my all up weight to be 11lb 4oz with the DLE 30. This engine flies this plane with lots of authority. I don't think you will be disappointed in it. I have sold mine to a friend at the club and I would not do it if there were issues with this plane.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Cpig

Can someone give me a measurement from the prop hub to the ground while holding the tail up parallel with the ground (as in take-off or landing attitude)? I'm going to run a 12s setup on this and am trying to figure out what the biggest prop is that I can run with a little clearance for landing bounce.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 AM
boostoman

I started buidling sbach 25% plane and i realized that the tail wheel that was provided with the kit doesnt fit seem to fit my plane. I have attached pictures to show how there is a diffrance in size of the tail wheel that is shown on the website and what had been provided in my kit. also the steering tube for the tail wheel was not provided in the kit, and instead of a steel rod a spring was provided.can you guys advise me what should i do. i tried contacting Tony but he has'tt come back to me for the last 4 days.

you guys have any advise on what Ishould do.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37454.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1494415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66727.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1494416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93509.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1494417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74636.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1494418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18932.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1494419  
Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 AM
boostoman

ORIGINAL: Cpig

Can someone give me a measurement from the prop hub to the ground while holding the tail up parallel with the ground (as in take-off or landing attitude)? I'm going to run a 12s setup on this and am trying to figure out what the biggest prop is that I can run with a little clearance for landing bounce.
Thanks
The center od the prop hub is 34cm (13.5") from the ground.

Ihope this helps

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Cpig

Thanks Boostoman, that's exactly what I was looking for bud.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM
RPool

ahicks, mine behaves well. I did have to add weight to nose to balance. Only interesting thing about mine is that it doesn't float in like I thought it might. You have to fly it all the way down. Boostman, it looks like your carbon fiber portion of your tail wheel doesn't have enough drop. Either that or they gave you the 50cc size peice that holds the tiller. By the way, mine came with a spring instead of solid wire tiller arm, but it works just fine. I sent you a picture; check your messages.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM
spektrum37

Hey guys

I’m looking at getting oneof these 30cc Sbach342, it’s likely to be the Goldwing version www.goldwingrc.com/en/ as Redwing isn’t available in NZ, but it looks fairly similar and has similar specifications.
The glow engine specification says it is rated for a 0.91 – 1.20 2 stroke or 1.10 – 1.40 cu in 4 stroke. I am aware of the arguments for and against gas over glow and know that most people would opt for a gas engine in this model but how do you think it would handle with say a Saito 150 or maybe a Thunder Tiger 130 4 stroke?
Cheers
David
Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spektrum, I think the engines you specify will be a bit light (as in, not enough) for this airframe. I say that based on my experiences with a Goldberg Sukhoi, which is the same size (73") and weight (11 pounds, + or -) as this Sbach 342. I had a Laser 150 on the Sukhoi, and it simply wasn't enough. It flew the model, but there was ZERO excess power.

I'm looking hard at this Sbach 342 as well; the looks of it, along with the accolades regarding kit quality, all point to a great model. I plan to use an OS 1.60 two stroke. I don't suppose anyone here has tried that combo yet???

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
LSP972

Okay, I just ordered one. You guys using the 30cc gassers... how much do those weigh, total? I'm thinking of plugging an OS BGX 35cc glow in there...

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL:

CustomCutGraphix and fix you up with a scale graphics package,
The guy at TBM said all the graphics come with the kit. Was he incorrect (or blowing smoke)?.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Bdegan

Just put mine on order last night Ordered the Orange colour scheme
Planning a DLE-30 with a cannister to power it.
Probably won't be ready until closer to the end of the year. The dog decided it needed to spend some money and got sick []
She will be fine, but she put a dent in my cash flow [:@]
Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

ORIGINAL:

CustomCutGraphix and fix you up with a scale graphics package,
The guy at TBM said all the graphics come with the kit. Was he incorrect (or blowing smoke)?.

The pilot rc graphics are horrible, find the 50cc Sbach thread and look at my before/after pictures.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The pilot rc graphics are horrible, find the 50cc Sbach thread and look at my before/after pictures.
I assume you're referring to the "decals", so to speak, as opposed to the covering job?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Bdegan

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I assume you're referring to the ''decals'', so to speak, as opposed to the covering job?

Yes, this has been a common complaint. It looks as if they took a picture of the graphics, enlarged it, and now it looks pixilated .
Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
skysfallin

Barracuda must have gotten a plne with graphics applied on Monday. I had the 30cc size and now have the 50cc size and both planes have perfect graphics. I saw the pics of his and he did have crappy graphics. I have not heard of too many other people having bad decals.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If its the Pilot RC plane you're speaking of, everyone of the Sbach's I've seen in person, up to and including Cheifs 40 and 50 percent versions, have had the pixelated graphics in the Thunderbolt scheme.

I'm speaking strictly of the lettering on the top right wing and Thunderbolt lettering on the sides.

The SBach on the top and bottom of the wings is ok, and the Lycoming on the bottom is perfect.

Skysfallin, the picture on page 1 of this thread that you posted shows a pretty good example of the poor cutting job of the lettering.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 AM
LSP972

Again... how much do these smaller gassers you guys are using weigh???? I'm talking real world weight; I can read the mfg spec sheets, but I would like to know actual weights.

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure which engine to use on mine (which is enroute). The guy at TBM wasn't exactly helpful when I ordered the model; he was polite, but rather abrupt. Either he didn't know the answers to some of my questions, or he had other fish to fry...

Anyway... I have an OS BGX-1 available. By the time you add up everything, including the metal mount and hardware, that puppy is pushing four pounds; add 24 ounces of glow fuel, and all of that might be too much for this airframe. An OS 1.60 is a bit less grunt, at about three pounds total with a few less ounces of fuel.

Gasoline is NOT an option for me, for a couple of reasons, so I'm left with glow. Apparently, most folks are putting small gassers on these.

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Bdegan

Again... how much do these smaller gassers you guys are using weigh???? I'm talking real world weight; I can read the mfg spec sheets, but I would like to know actual weights.

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure which engine to use on mine (which is enroute). The guy at TBM wasn't exactly helpful when I ordered the model; he was polite, but rather abrupt. Either he didn't know the answers to some of my questions, or he had other fish to fry...

Anyway... I have an OS BGX-1 available. By the time you add up everything, including the metal mount and hardware, that puppy is pushing four pounds; add 24 ounces of glow fuel, and all of that might be too much for this airframe. An OS 1.60 is a bit less grunt, at about three pounds total with a few less ounces of fuel.

Gasoline is NOT an option for me, for a couple of reasons, so I'm left with glow. Apparently, most folks are putting small gassers on these.

Any info would be appreciated.

The OS160 is a stump puller of a motor. I had one, loved it. But I have moved away from glow.
The OS160 is lighter than the DL30 on its own. Then add in the ignition module and an ignition battery. The gas set up is probably close to a pound heavier.
You will probably have to run your receiver battery up on the motor box to get CG. Maybe even add a bit of weight.
But a glow set up will definately be lighter than gas and should be a nice light plane. Hovers and pull out should not be a problem.

Remember a few years ago, Extreme Flight had a Yak that was 73 inch wing span. The power plant of choice then, was the OS160. Everyone that had one, loved them.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Bdegan

Hey Guys,
Does the Pilot RC S-Bach have provisions for a cannister ?
I can't find any photos showing that area below the motor box. The Peak Models one has a cannister tunnel and cannister mounts.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
RPool

The Pilot RC 73' Sbach does NOT have a cannister/pipe tunnel. I wish it did. I have the Syssa 30cc in mine and it works great...but with a pipe it would be amazing!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Bdegan

ORIGINAL: RPool

The Pilot RC 73' Sbach does NOT have a cannister/pipe tunnel. I wish it did. I have the Syssa 30cc in mine and it works great...but with a pipe it would be amazing!

Hmmm....Thanks
Decisions, decisions
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 AM
boostoman

Im just finishing off my Sbach 73" with a DLE30 rear carb . i was wandering if you guys could help me with some queries i have:

- what is the optimal CG position for normal flight no 3D stuff?
- what angle of the defelctions are you guys using for normal flight. i need s starting point.
- i have a Xoar 18x8 prop on the plane , would 2,200 rpm idea keep the plane slow during landing?
- would a 3Amp BEC for the ignition be sufficant for 8,000-9,000rpm motor?

i would also apprecate if you guys could post your electronics layout pics, i would like to have a clean wire setup in the cockpit. so i will defnitly like to see some examples.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
coronabob

ORIGINAL: RPool

Check out Redwing RC. I bought their Sbach 30cc, which has a pipe tunnel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.