Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Build your own gas engine from a "kit"

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here
View Poll Results: A poll
I would buy an engine in kit form
45.63%
I just want to fly and dont want to build engines too
10.68%
I have the knowledge and confidence to build an engine
32.04%
i would like to learn more by building my own engine
11.65%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Build your own gas engine from a "kit"

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
tomyrcmodels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build your own gas engine from a

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: tomyrcmodels

I agree Pe Reivers. if the kit from general available Chinese items. like chain saw . or Grass cutter ,it's wont be sell more than $50 . but from hobby engine. it's will take more expensive than that . even only the CDI unit( RCEXL) are more expensive then $50 on the market .

Bull_hit! There is zero difference in quality between a well made saw engine and a well made RC engine. The only real difference between the two occurs at the propeller hub. The saw engine will have a flywheel/fan/magneto coupler while the RC engine will have a simple hub. The RC engine should be the less expensive of the two.
I agree with you some part Tired Old Man. Chainsaw company like Sachs, Echo, Stihl, or Husky . made million and million saw per year . that the big reason the parts are have low cost but hobby engine are not . and other different compare with conversion engine and special design hobby engine are weight/power output ratio. saw design are for not hobby use purpose. yes it's ok to converst it to hobby use but not going to close the the Weight/power output ratio compare with special desing hobby engine . I cant find parts from any saw under 40CC are able to convert it to hobby fly with engine weight under 1kg and still can swing 20 size prop , maybe have but I realy dont know it. it's realy goldmine there if find those parts to do hobby engine and fit modeller‘s Expectation . rear carb . side or rear exhaust . etc..

Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a good reply....darn server is messing up GRRRrrrr...........
Old 08-21-2010, 04:01 AM
tomyrcmodels

not much 30CC plane have big cowl for conversion engine that not need to cut the cowl for the carb I think. but special design hobby engine did . and for 3D fly , need lot more power than most conversion saw engine have in this class/( 30cc to 40cc) . warbird or other's may ok because need noise weight to balance the CG.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 PM
mtenginesusa

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: mtenginesusa

MT35CC QB KIT. most main parts were assembled in factory. It takes less than one hour to finish assembling the kit. Have fun and save money while getting a complete high performance engine within one hour

Lifetime Warranty on Parts

http://www.mtenginesusa.com/products...uick+Built+kit

MTENGINESUSA
<hr />Is the Lifetime Warranty on the ignition also? Also where do we get this Warranty service? Shipping could be very expensive. Thanks, Capt,n

Hello Captinjohn

acording RCEXL warranty . the ignition box have two years warranty. for engine parts like cylinder . crankcase.shaft..etc. we do have lifetime warranty for that .

MTENGINESUSA
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 AM
mtenginesusa

The RCU new products are just show MT35QB kit , http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/N...roduct_id=4580
Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
captinjohn

So what if I needparts later for aMT35QB engine after I use it for some time. Do you have the extra parts on hand? Also what are the prices of a cylinder, piston or back plate with reeds? Thanks Capt,n
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM
denney47
My Feedback: (359)

I would be very careful here; we are still trying to get engines from Tomy that we can sell to the end user without Jody re-working each engine.  Believe me the quality is not ready for a kit engine.

Tom
Valley View RC

Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 AM
captinjohn

Tom....I myself would just get a good used Echo or Sthil chainsaw and redo it (instead of a kit)....a chance to do some hands on work...and the engines would be good quality.Better yet buy one of the better engines from Valley View. Capt,n
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM
tomyrcmodels

Hi Captionjohn

You don’t need to buy parts after for some time running if some parts are have quality problem. because we offer life time warranty for the parts. And if you need extra parts . you can go to our website to buy what parts you like to spare .

Hi Tom

I’m Admire Jody’s work and service for end user . and this is the service that every one talking about . it’s true second to none . but I have some different point about the MT35QB kit . No matter how hard works or re-works. No one Can turn the defect parts become none defect . for example . the picture show this parts from engine kit defect from factory . this one could not able to do any re-work and make it become none defect . that’s why we offer life time warranty for the parts. If end user have some problem running the engine because defect parts . we offer replacement parts free .Sure . crash or over hit to damage the engine are not cover under the warranty like every one did
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57780.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1495921  
Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 PM
captinjohn

ou don’t need to buy parts after for some time running if some parts are have quality problem. because we offer life time warranty for the parts. And if you need extra parts . you can go to our website to buy what parts you like to spare .<hr />Tom
I did not realize you have a lifetime warranty on the parts. In that case your kit engine would be a good deal for those wishing to do some hands on work & learn what make engines tick. Would the crankshaft in the photo be replaced free? It did look like the break was there for a while because of the rust look. What is your opinion on that particular engine.Doesthe buyer need too send defective parts back or will you accept a high quality photo as proof? Best Regards, Capt,n
Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All warranty considerations for the MT35 and MT70 would be determined in the VVRC service center, parts must be returned with proof of purchase. BTW, that's not an MT crankshaft, it's a CRRC 40cc kit engine crank.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:03 AM
mtenginesusa

MT35 QB kit are going to in stock at end of Sep

www.mtenginsusa.com
Old 09-12-2010, 12:03 PM
lou1947

Jody: What do you think is the problem with the broken cranks? I have three of those engines and have two broken cranks. Do you think syarting them with a 24 volt Sullivan starter did them in? How many broken cranks have you seen ?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way a electric starter puts more force on the crank than running at full throttle.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lou1947

Jody: What do you think is the problem with the broken cranks? I have three of those engines and have two broken cranks. Do you think syarting them with a 24 volt Sullivan starter did them in? How many broken cranks have you seen ?
The crankshafts that break are not made correctly. They are not machined correctly and they are not heat treated correctly. The crankshafts are poosibly not even made of the proper material?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 PM
jedijody

Starter won't break them and I won't say they are a super crankshaft but they do work. I suspect an assembly procedure could be leaving it stressed or loaded somehow leading to the failure. I've built over 100 of them and to my knowledge none have broken, the ignition is their weakest link.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 AM
clivemc

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Starter won't break them and I won't say they are a super crankshaft but they do work. I suspect an assembly procedure could be leaving it stressed or loaded somehow leading to the failure. I've built over 100 of them and to my knowledge none have broken, the ignition is their weakest link.
jody, what do you mean when you say 'the ignition is their weakest link' its an rcexl ignition.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he is talking about the CRRC engine
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

I think he is talking about the CRRC engine
That's correct.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it would be interesting to assemble one from completed parts, but I don't have the machinery or skill to open out a cylinder from a raw casting and other such metal-forming operations.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
tomyrcmodels

some parts assemble need specail tool . so factory pre-assemble most parts are need for keep presicion .