Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FSA Clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:40 AM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FSA Clubhouse

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

So the boys and I are out flying Sunday. Mark J. is providing instructor duties as usual. All is going well. Alex has his flight, has a blast, plane lands with no problem. Morgan goes up with his plane, and all is going well there too. As I'm sitting and watching, I notice the plane is going pretty far out. I'm like "Man I hope nothing goes wrong, thats a pretty good hike!". Looks like he's bringing the plane around for a right to lefr landing. Good, but it's still pretty high, and far away. Hgher than the power lines, thankfully so, otherwise, it would have hit the tower it looks like. Still coming around, ... still coming around slowly ... then blammo! It noses straight down into the trees. FRAG!!! This thing is toast I think. Whatever didn't get shredded by the trees, is gonna be pummeled by the ground.

So we trek out across the field. Way back to the power lines. Can't find the plane anywhere. After about 20-30 minutes of looking, I call an end to it, as I have an appointment I have to keep. Walking back to the field, I'm trying to figure out where the heck the plane could be. Just as I'm about to step on the mowed part of the field, the boys who had been trailing me by about 25 yards yell that they found the plane! I'm like what?!? Yup, sure nuff, they found the plane. Up in a tree. I'm like this is gonna be ugly.

Well, I was wrong! The plane hit and broke a branch about a dime's diameter, tore off one of the wire landing gear, and gear mounting block, but that was it! Not even a hole in the covering! Amazing!

-Jorden

EDIT ... I want to add that the crash didn't appear to be Mark's fault, and I wasn't implying that. It seemed that there was some type of interference/signal loss, as neither the master or buddy box seemed to have control. Plane was flying with Spektrum DX5e radio as master, DX6i as buddy box, AR6200 Rx. I checked the battery afterwards and it was at apx 6.5v (2000 mAh NiMh battery, apx 3 months old). I had fast charged it prior to the flight, so maybe that caused a battery related issue. I did a range check also with the Tx, and all seemed well. I dunno.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48767.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1493163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64714.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1493164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90212.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1493165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49809.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1493166  
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Montague

Just a reminder that AMA Park Pilot members are limited to flying models that are 2pounds or lighter and that can travel no faster than 60mph. Power must be electric (or rubber band or a glider). No glow or gas power.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Montague

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

At all times RC planes are expected to be below 400 feet AGL and piloted aircraft have the right of way at all times. The recent RC/Full size runway accident in Colorado reminds us to see and avoid all contact with piloted aircraft. So stay low and let them transit our field.
The bit about never exceding 400ft is not correct. And most of the planes flying at our field to go over 400ft on a regular basis. Which is why it's important to keep an eye out for the full-scale planes. It's not hard for even .40-size planes to get up to where the small full-scales are.

Here's a quote from FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer (stolen from another thread).

"In all cases with regard to radio controlled aircraft interfacing with manned vehicles, the manned vehicle retains the right of way."

"Even if the pilot of the RC aircraft was at fault, there's actually no law regarding the operation of remote-control aircraft near airports, or anywhere, despite the growing popularity of giant-scale aircraft as large as eight feet in size.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) does have a "Safety Code" stipulating modelers shouldn't fly above 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport and to notify airports when they're in close proximity, but Kenitzer says "It should be noted that the code is suggestive and not binding by federal law.
The FAA also issued an advisory circular, but it was from 1981 and the hobby has evolved significantly in the last 29 years. The AMA, FAA, and other groups put together a list of suggestions in 2009 for how to regulate these aircraft, but it has met with resistance from some hobbyists, and the report itself includes objections from the AMA."

So basically, the FAA recognizes that it's a good idea for models to generally stay low to avoid full-scale aircraft, and 400ft is an often thrown around number, but it's not a law or a rule or anything more than a suggestion. However, avoiding full-scale aircraft is more than a suggestion

Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Puertorican

Okay folks;    For   sale    all    my    nitro   planes.   I    have      been    a   member   of    Free  State   Airomodelers   for   teen   years.  Its  time   to move on   .Ask    Mark Jusino    
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Montague

[deleted]
Old 09-01-2010, 04:00 PM
weathervane

Mark, Not like this my friend. Believe me I know how you feel. More than once I have wanted to make the same post.

Just come out and fly and have fun. You just will not be allowed to train people thats all. Stay electric, under 2 pounds and slower than 60 MPH. Next year, who knows. See what and how thing are then.

Flying at parks is no fun at times, kids asking lots of questions, parents asking not to fly near their kids, local PD giving you stuff about it and just being a pain. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the runway.

-Andrew
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Puertorican

I    want    to   upgrade    my    AMA     and    retire    from   training.   [8D]Fliying      is     fun    and    good    for    the   soul.  May    every   one   have   a  great    weekend    .
Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 AM
JKEpps

ORIGINAL: JKEpps

Plane was flying with Spektrum DX5e radio as master, DX6i as buddy box, AR6200 Rx. I checked the battery afterwards and it was at apx 6.5v (2000 mAh NiMh battery, apx 3 months old).
I stand corrected. The receiver is a Spektrum AR500 Sport receiver. I had removed the AR6200 to put in my 4 Star 120.

I installed it following the instructions from Spektrum. Again, I won't rule out I did something wrong that may have lead to the loss of control. I'd love to know what the actual problem is, but the world may never know ...

Name:	Ki20763.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1494025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25354.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1494026  
Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Puertorican

All     i     know    is     that    particular    battery     cant    be    fast     charged.[X(]
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM
dditch

Jordon, Looking at your pick, you have the long antenna taped down but the end of the antenna (last 3mm) is the active part. That last part of the antenna in your picture is curling back towards the center of the fuse making it ALMOST perpendicular to the fuse again and parallel with the short antenna that comes out of the Rx. If you want to increase reception I recommend 2 things.

1) Move the Rx away from the Servo in front of it by about 1"
2) Pull the antenna wire further forward so the active part of the antenna is at about that last tape mark. Move it up higher too so it's not shadowed by the battery during level flight.

You want the active parts of the antenna away from other metal or carbon fiber objects the best you can and you want each antenna active portion 90 degrees perpendicular to each other (never parallel). You can put the active part of the antenna in fuel tubing or plastic tubing (longer than the antenna) and tape it down. I have no idea what tape does to the antenna so I try to keep the tape away from the active part hence using longer tubing than the active antenna portion.

This may not be the reason for the problem but it will increase your reception.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Montague

I was thinking the same thing, that it was hard to tell from the picture which way the active end of the long antenna wire was bending, but that I think you could improve things by moving and better securing that bit. I use that same RX in my LT-40 and have not had a problem. And it's standard in the Alpha 40, but we did just have an Alpha 40 crash in a way simular to your crash.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
JKEpps

ORIGINAL: dditch

Jordon, Looking at your pick, you have the long antenna taped down but the end of the antenna (last 3mm) is the active part. That last part of the antenna in your picture is curling back towards the center of the fuse making it ALMOST perpendicular to the fuse again and parallel with the short antenna that comes out of the Rx. If you want to increase reception I recommend 2 things.

1) Move the Rx away from the Servo in front of it by about 1''
2) Pull the antenna wire further forward so the active part of the antenna is at about that last tape mark. Move it up higher too so it's not shadowed by the battery during level flight.

You want the active parts of the antenna away from other metal or carbon fiber objects the best you can and you want each antenna active portion 90 degrees perpendicular to each other (never parallel). You can put the active part of the antenna in fuel tubing or plastic tubing (longer than the antenna) and tape it down. I have no idea what tape does to the antenna so I try to keep the tape away from the active part hence using longer tubing than the active antenna portion.

This may not be the reason for the problem but it will increase your reception.
ORIGINAL: Montague

I was thinking the same thing, that it was hard to tell from the picture which way the active end of the long antenna wire was bending, but that I think you could improve things by moving and better securing that bit. I use that same RX in my LT-40 and have not had a problem. And it's standard in the Alpha 40, but we did just have an Alpha 40 crash in a way simular to your crash
Kirk & David (Right?)

Thanks for the info/advice. I adjusted the installation of the rx. How's it look now? In ref to the battery, that was the resting place after the crash. It actually is stowed underneath the servo tray. You can just see it peeking out underneath the rx.

Thanks again guys,

-Jorden

Name:	qo39051.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1494561  
Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
JKEpps

A few more pics of the original carnage, or lack thereof.

-Jorden

Name:	vt56121.jpg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1494562   Click image for larger version

Name:	to44025.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	879.6 KB
ID:	1494563   Click image for larger version

Name:	rw58482.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1494564   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb81517.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	982.2 KB
ID:	1494565   Click image for larger version

Name:	iu11426.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	896.0 KB
ID:	1494566  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
JSZ
My Feedback: (73)

FYI I just found out that Eric the owner of GPA hobbies in Crofton recently passed away. I have known Eric for years and will miss him. Our prayers go out to his family. I was told that the shop will remain open.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM
JKEpps

ORIGINAL: JSZ

FYI I just found out that Eric the owner of GPA hobbies in Crofton recently passed away. I have known Eric for years and will miss him. Our prayers go out to his family. I was told that the shop will remain open.
Really sorry to hear that. I wish his family well, and offer my condolences.

-Jorden
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM
JKEpps

Well sports fans, looks like Spektrum's DSM2 is about to go belly up. Spektrum and JR look to be moving to FHSS just like Futaba. Looks like I bet on the wrong horse.

-Jorden

JR will be bringing out their own 2.4 GHz systems on new future systems. Their new 7 channel system is undergoing full CE testing at the moment and for aircraft use it will be full FHSS.

It is hoped to be in production in October, they will be dropping the DSMJ system and from what I can gather, no longer manufacturing DSM2 FOR NEW SYSTEMS.

They will still be supporting the DSM2 for some period of time.

Their entry level set is called the XG7 and supports telemetry. The receiver is fitted with 2 long antennas ( similar to Futaba/Hitec) and comes with a telemetry sender. Currently it is for Rx battery voltage but you will be able to add additional probes to it.

For those of you heading to the NATS this weekend, it will be there.

Transmitter styling is that of the 2720/DX7.

As it is a completely new system and not based on Spektrums hardware, there is no compatibility or upgrade path with DSM2.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Puertorican

Hobby  King  no   good,   They    take   your    money,    29    days    ago   no    battery  for   you..
Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
dditch

ORIGINAL: Puertorican

Hobby King no good, They take your money, 29 days ago no battery for you..
I deal with them all the time when I can't get what I want at a great price domestically.
Don't think I've had anything take more than 2-3 weeks though when choosing the cheap shipping.
I had one package that was hung up at my post office it was sitting there for 45 days and never delivered.
Took a trip to the post office to inquire about it and they found it.

D
Old 09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Puertorican

Last   year    they   sent   the  wrong   lipo. I   sent   back    but  no   refund.    This   year    another   problem.  Hobby   King    is      no   good    to   me.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM
weathervane

I order stuff from them and have no problem. I have never had an order take more than 7-10 days. That is with the cheap shipping. I like there prices and the quality is not bad either. I did get 1 bad outrunner in a batch of 5 that I ordered. Hey what do you expect for a $3.95 motor. I have recieved 5 Li-Po's from them and have not had a problem out of any of them. I had one that was a little out of ballance, but once I charged it all was fine. I like them, no problems.

-Andrew
Old 09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contest Directors (CDs) should be aware of the Hobby Hangar (Chantilly, Va) calendar of events located on their website. Another FREE opportunity to disseminate information about your event.

[link=http://www.hhvastore.com/index.php?aux_page=events]http://www.hhvastore.com/index.php?aux_page=events[/link]

Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
weathervane

Just a few pictures.
-Andrew

Name:	Qo41531.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1504259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40916.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1504260  
Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
dditch

Keychain Cam at FSA field
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKa2kIwXek[/youtube]
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 3:50 I started to get nauseous. Dude, that made my stomach woozy.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 AM
dditch

Who's interested in SPAD?
Simple Plastic Airplane Design.
Google it and look up plans.

I'm in contact with a Howard Co. Political party and asked them if I could have some of the Coroplast signs when they get taken down after the November election. I'm tarketing the big 4'x8' coroplast signs that are framed in wood. We could keep the wood if we wanted for club use and then also keep the coroplast. I'm hoping some of the signs will be printed only on 1 side. We can then use those planes to make some SPAD designs. Electric or Nitro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.