Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/16 R/C M-51 Super Sherman Full-Option Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 R/C M-51 Super Sherman Full-Option Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1/16 R/C M-51 Super Sherman Full-Option Kit

Well with Tamiya releasing an Isherman and Hooben not really trying to release a T55 what if and this is just speculation, what if Tamiya releases a T55 next.
Also in the works is the Leopard A4 another re-release but I believe in static form will this be welcome what say you
Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: rivetcounter

Also in the works is the Leopard A4 another re-release but I believe in static form will this be welcome what say you
I will be sitting on my hands and salivating all the while waiting on this release ... even as a static kit. Oh, and the M-51 is mine too.

- Jeff
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Leo 1A4 is also on my wish list.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45780.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1497919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13167.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1497920  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe it will have recoil this time. That may be reason enough to get the kit for me.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
karel47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the WOII tanks more tony, sorry , could be with the older suspension like YHR's converted sherman too
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
karel47

i personaly would see a M18 Hellcat into 1/16 rc tanks or a Sdkfz 250 or 251 any variant
Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Spitvalve

So the world economy is sketchy and supposedly we are all being very cautious with our discretionary spending. So what do the RC tank makers do to tempt us to open up our tightly clasped coin purses? One releases a King Tiger that people have been able to buy for several years in both cheap and expensive versions, and the other coughs up a rewarmed version of a hoary old tank model they've had on the shelves for years. Reminds me of the final painful years of British Leyland in NA when the big announcements for Triumph and MG involved new racy stripes on the MGB and...new racy stripes on the Triumph Spitfire!

I can totally understand it's hardtimes out there, but this doesn't even qualify, in my books anyways, as trying on both HL and Tamiya's parts. Even if they produced a Churchill which I wouldn't want, I'd still be on their sides as it keeps expanding the hobby, market, and interest of their audience.

Mike.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 60mm HV gun was supposed to have really been a butt-kicker. If IDF had used them I'd sure set one up. The 60mm would certainly leave room for more ammo stowage, especially in the ready racks and be lots easier to load. Chile rearmed a lot of M-41s with that gun. A really potent gun developement, like the 90mm Cockrell gun that you really don't hear much about.

Another interesting Sherman would be the AMX Sherman. Israel captured a few of those from Egyptian units who mounted the cleff turret from the AMX-13 onto Sherman hulls. Wierd looking tank and that 2 man turret turret would be very challenging ideed, if you wanted any kind of elevation/depression of the gun. [:@]

Nice looking M-51 edoubleas. I was looking into the A1 version. If I could get an older Tammy Sherman lower hull, I might go with it, but otherwise, just too expensive. There's enough work on the turret alone and with my very limited time, just too much at present.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
HG1980
Banned

i still wanna get it...
Old 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, Still not buying it. I will NOT buy another Tamiya tank until the decide it is in there best interest to get off the can and get to work on something NEW, not the same old tired stuff everyone keeps putting out. Quite stealing or buying molds from other manufacturers and build something NEW.  Now, i will continue converting the tanks I do like with suitable Tamiya electronics,  but no new tanks until there is a NEW TANK. Tamiya could have burried everyone if they had put out a Cromwell or Comet, or Centurian, Or Hell , even a Chaffey. Hell why not?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
xf62

Mr tamiya how about making some models of the Tanks that the British have produce over the years from a comet to a Challenger 2
that give plenty of leeway from WWII to the present day
Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
yellowshaker

Greg, I also would love to see some other options come out, but the M-51 is top of the list for me. Hey, it should have the T-23 turret on it, so that's something different!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
pattoncommander

Joe, Lots of M-51s were made from M-4A1s because of the larger T-23 turrets, but as many were converted from Sherman 105s and high bussles and others fitted to composit Shermans built from 3-4 different models including 3 piece tranny covers. Most early Shermans were purchased from France which had a huge surplus of WW II vehicles, which gave Israel a great selection to mix-n-match, resulting in a rarity when any two Shermans were exactly alike. With Tamiya, I kinda see a converted 105 turret with the same chassis. They don't seem very open to engineer and introduce anything new that everyone is screaming to get, so why not make a couple alterations to a model that is declining and sell a "new" tank. At least with an M-51, there won't be so many complaints of this or that being wrong or out of place regarding stowage boxes, spare track stowage etc, as they were all a hodge-podge of ideas at the conversion factories. Just curious at which M-51 they copied.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

As a WWII - centric armor buff I'm somewhat disappointed that Tamiya deigns to bring out a Super Sherman. If a Sherman
had to be rehashed I'd rather it have been a Jumbo or proper Firefly but then I'm not in a first name basis with Mr. Tamiya.
I'd hoped the release announcement was subterfuge by Tamiya but it seems Karen has confirmed it...

I have to believe that Tamiya did proper marketing research especially in this economic climate as their capital expense
to release one of these has to be substantial. While I'm not yet stirred by the prospect of their alleged forthcoming release
I have a selfish interest in hoping it is a great success as I hope Tamiya continues with their tank line.

We've all voiced our interests before and like everyone else I can think quickly of a half dozen machines from the Allies alone I'd rather see but I'm grateful Tamiya continues to see the RC tank segment as worthy of investment.

Jerry
Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 AM
88mm

Nice! Can't afford Tamiya right now so I'm hoping Heng Long follows their lead and releases one too.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Panther G

Well i would have to say your right, at least they are still making tanks. If they decide too stop then we are in trouble. The other brands are fine for alot of people but some of us need something better. I just wish they would get into the 21st century. Give us some WWII British tanks and some Modern day any country tanks. preferably an Abrams and an Challenger II OH Baby what a gorgeous tank that is. OMG, I love that tank.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

The way I look at it there playing it safe with a upgraded Sherman they have a base to work with and if it flops there not out much .
Impact posted on there Yahoo site that Tamiya was going to do the M51 Super Sherman should be out around Nov or Dec is what was posted .

Jimmy
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As many of you I am very disappointed. Was waiting T-34...
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 AM
pattoncommander

TAMIYA.& HL; ...ARE YOU READING THE MANY COMMENTS? CENTURIAN, CROMWELL,[:-] JS-II,(OR EVEN JS-III) [X(] T-55.., MERKAVA 1 THRU 4 . LISTEN TO YOUR PAYING LIFELINE.[>:]
Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 AM
BiggTony

One of these fine scratch builders and kitbasherneed to visit one of Tamiya's annual event releases with their stuff and demonstrate exactly the kind of tanks their missing out on. Some of the Tamiya guys are old timers, from some of the vids I've seen and also....I gotta be honest here, many of the Japanese that are into militaryparaphernaliaare infatuated with the Typical WWII era stuff that their country's history was a little more involved in, such as theSherman, Pershing, Tigers, etc... So what market are they actually investigating demographically.....I lean towards their side of the water and not the forums.
When I was a teen in the late 80's to mid 90's and lived in Okinawa and Japan, I used to deal in what's called the black market there...you know, buy stuff at the BX and Four Seasons and sell them off base. (I know, I'm bad but I didn't know it wasillegal, I thought that was only selling 20lb bags of rice was against the law and I wanted lots of art supplies and stereo systems for my Nissan Skyline) I used to buy tons of Revell models for 10 to 20 bucks and sell them no less than $100 each. My first venture had me stuck with tons of modern model airplane and any profit I made was a wash for left over stuff. What sold for top dollar was the B-52, B-1 (any bombers) which would easily go for 40-50,000 yen and WWII stuff, not modern. Needless to say...for some reason, those kits were never in stock at the base exchange (so that was proof for me that I was not the only one doing this! lol) so I had to have that sent to me by stateside relatives. Funny, how they wanted that model kit, but used to protest when any bomber would land at the base....big news. lol
Anyway, my point is that I think Tamiya clienteles to their market and any market outside of Japan are simply tag alongs.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
karel47

not everyone dislikes the future release guy's, that's tamiya brands WOII tanks, no one has to buy them, but the tamiya designers knows there will be tons of aftermarket parts for it soon, it sell's good thats what they want ... am not the only one who like WOII armor , the only thing that has to happen is things like firefly's, M16 Hellcats, etc ... trucks like the opel blitz or the GMC scoutcar tec thats whats has to be brings out ... don't you agree ...
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
HG1980
Banned

i would like to see the pics Tamiya will release of this new tank.....
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM
snakestretcher52

Yep, and it isn't as if there aren't extant examples of British armour to go and measure up...heck I'll even throw in a few pounds toward their air-fare to England! Come on Mr. Tamiya, Mr. Heng Long....anyone?
ORIGINAL: Panther G

Nope, Still not buying it. I will NOT buy another Tamiya tank until the decide it is in there best interest to get off the can and get to work on something NEW, not the same old tired stuff everyone keeps putting out. Quitestealingor buying molds from other manufacturers and build something NEW. Now, i will continue converting the tanks I do like with suitable Tamiya electronics, but no new tanks until there is a NEW TANK. Tamiya could have burried everyone if they had put out a Cromwell or Comet, or Centurian, Or Hell , even aChaffey. Hell why not?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 PM
pattoncommander

Tony, I have to agree with you on Japanese fixation on WWII. Only spent a few hours on Okinawa...our 4 engine plane came into North Oki with 2 engines out,[:@] but put some time in Japan and back to frozen Chosin, albeit a couple years 'for you got there. . Tinkered with BM stuff too, but cigs, soap, BA4 batteries and coffee with the thing then. [X(]

Maybe things have changed there but I believe most of the Tamiya stuff is for export. For Museum work in standard 1;35, Tamiya, AFV and Dragon are the absolute best, but for RC larger scale, we hear much more from Europe, GB and the USA, with some specific tank types more evident in one country over the other side of the pond.

Yeah, a couple guys have built great looking Fireflys and Cromwells..these should be shown to Tammy as posiblilities. There has never been a Tammy show in this part of the country and I don't have the $$$ to fly to Tokyo with my M-45 and M-46. Although the M-26 is a Korean War version, they don't seem eager to upgrade or offer other tanks used in korea. Again, the Centurian , Cromwell and the M-45 and 46, as the M-36s used by ROK troops and the T-34/85 and SU-76 would fit nicely.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
edoubleaz

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Time to look at the potential of this kit release. I am looking for new electronics with a diesel engine noise and recoil. This opens the door for M4A2 variants (AKA my USMCSherman)

I am looking for working hatches and brush guards. Maybe new tools and other stowage items.

Lets assume the HVSS and tracks are the same. Lets assume standard elevation and recoil. At least there will be new parts in the the sherman pipeline.

The T23 Turret and mantlet are all modified so not an easy "Downconvert" For me, obviously the gun barrel and Muzzlebrake are items to watch.

Iwas building one so Iactually look forward to this. Iwill remain calm of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.