Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

BL outrunner setup problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
stepnote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BL outrunner setup problem

new to BL and trying to set up a new plane. there are 3 leads coming out of the motor, 3 leads coming out of the speed control and none of them are labelled. The setup is good, everything works, new Lipos charged up, but motor has no power and acts like it resonates and then gets kicked out. anyone have a suggestion? thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
jcubby
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: BL outrunner setup problem

To get the motor to run in the right direction only two wires need to be switched out. But if the motor does not run even backwards then their is some other problem. Had this same thing happen on one of my motors. I called the motor Company about this and they told me that 99% of the time that one of the soldier joints is loose. I re sodiered all the joints and it work again. Good luck

Jim
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

If the voltage is too low for the ESC spec (how many cells are you using?), you will not get it to arm and run.

Assuming you have the correct number of cells for the ESC and motor, your receiver must be powered up. If you are running more than 3S, most ESCs cannot adequately run the receiver through the throttle connection, and you will need to have a separate BEC powering the receiver; in that case you may also need to disconnect the middle wire of the throttle connection from ESC to receiver. The manual for your ESC should cover all this.

If you need further help, let me know details of the ESC, motor and battery, and I will try to give a simpler point of view...Chris
Old 09-13-2010, 06:36 AM
stepnote

Thanks, guys. the motor, controller, servos, and battery (C20 brushless motor, 10A ESC, 3pcs 5g servos, 500mAh 2S pack) are all sized appropriately, they're part of a package that came with the plane (3d-Hawk). The batteries were charged on abalancing charger, the motor turns in the right direction, and everything seems normal except for the resonating problem. The RX gives the normal start up tones, so that's working fine. Based on what I'm hearing it's starting to sound like a bad component? thanks again. Steve
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
lejongleur

Wait a mo - if you know the motor turns in the correct direction, do you mean that it worked previously and now will not start? The only other thing I can think of, other than a component problem, is that your throttle trim is set too high and the ESC will not arm, as it perceives that the throttle is partly open (instead of being completely closed as is need by most ESCs), and hence will not run the motor for safety reasons.

Just a wild guess, but worth thinking about...Chris
Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
stepnote

no, motor turns in right direction, just acts like it's not developing power....and then, if throttle is increased it reacts badly (starts jumping) and stops. after that it starts again when the throttle is returned to zero, but the reaction is the same as power increases.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
lejongleur

OK I see. One other thing comes to mind. Some ESCs have a manual jumper plug to differentiate between (say) 2S or 3S, i.e. cell detection is not automatic. If that's true in your case, it may be expecting a higher voltage than your lipo has, and as soon as you run up the motor, it will cut off, thinking the battery is tired. I had this problem with a small Art-Tech ESC some time ago.

What is the name written on the ESC, and how many cells are you running?...Chris
Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
stepnote

that's the problem......the esc has nothing whatsoever on it, it's covered in black shink tubing and the instructions that came with the Nitro kit are less than complet "glue the wings on" and "put the decals on." they're also unwilling to send replacements.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
stepnote

ORIGINAL: stepnote

that's the problem......the esc has nothing whatsoever on it, it's covered in black shink tubing and the instructions that came with the Nitro kit are less than complet "glue the wings on" and "put the decals on." they're also unwilling to send replacements.
but, also, please note this is their kit, so my assumption is that this stuff is all compatible. http://www.nitroplanes.com/91a-3dhawk-arf.html

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
lejongleur

If you look at the end of the ESC, where the leads come out (both ends), is there a place with 2 or 3 small prongs sticking out? This could be where the jumper is plugged in, or it may be missing. If this idea doesn't work, I were you I would try another ESC if you can borrow one, or look for something like this:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._BEC%29___BESC

or even buy one of Nitroplanes' own ESCs like this:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/vose10abresc.html
Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
stepnote

there are no jumpers either end. Iagree about trying a different and will work on that, it's the easiest thing to try at this point. after that comes surgical removal of the motor. CA is good going in...........