Notices
Flybarless Helicopters Discuss flybarless rotor head systems for all helicopters right here.

BLADE Nano CP X

Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thread decorations

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda

It seems they all have the issue of not binding on the first try(rapid flashing led instead of solidly lit). Most of the time it will bind OK but sometimes I have to try a few times and I am far enough away from the transmitter so that is not the problem. It's not a big deal for me so I don't worry about it.
The AS3X is expecting the heli to move in the direction you put the sticks in. Holding it level is more than likely confusing the 3 axis gyro thus the random irregular servo movements.What you want is almost impossible to view unless you attach a small micro camera to watch the servos while in flight.Only then will you see exactly what is supposed to be happening.
As far as flying, if you are using the DX4 that came with the RTF package.....good luck! Again, I'm not the greatest pilot but I could not fly this with the pre-programmed DX4. It was all over the place ....like throwing a cat up in the air. I bound it to a DX7 transmitter and programmed a similar throttle and pitch curve that I use for my 450 and 500 helis and it was like night and day . I really don't know how they expect a new /less experienced heli pilot to fly it with that DX4!
Hi flynwalenda and Rob2160,

I thought this thread would need some picture decorations so I took some pictures of my corrected setup of the main rotor.

As i came to the thread I see that Rob2160 beat me to it with actual videos. Thanks Rob.

The only adjustment I had to make is turn the link of the rear servo three turns to lenghten it. Four turns appeared as being too much so I brought it back to three turns.

My pics are not the best but they are pics .

A couple of pics were with the main rotor turning and the black turned out beige in color. I have no explanation for that. I was using the camera flash in all pictures.

I was trying to show the zero pitch on both blades when the Tx is half way up.

I always keep the TX at least 8 feet away when I switch it ON. Then it takes me a while to install the heli battery and manage to connect it. I have a terrible difficlty to line up these small connectors and I do the connection while the heli is level sitting on the desk. I would say that only once out of 4 o 5 times does it bind right away. When I disconnect it is kind of locked in and alsways comes out in a sudden quick motion. I am afraid fo damaging the plug in to the PCB ( 3 in 1 .

Now something VERY interesting happened this evening. I have the throttle half way up just about zero pitch and I am all triggered for a quick reaction as I give it smoothly some more throttle. Would you believe it lifted with the skid (landing gear) about 1/2 inch off the surace and did not move for 3 or 4 seconds. It just hovered right there. As a quick thought came in my mind that the new setup was really effective and with my hands off the sticks it took of sideways at high speed and hit the window curtains before I could do anything.

I am beginning to wonder if there is an intermittance somewhere and my friend got p****d off and got rid of it by being so generous to me. Over here it is a $200.00 value; I priced it at the local LHS.

I will play some more. I am a stubborn individual.

Have a nice trip Rob2160 and thanks both to be so patient with me.

Zor

P.S.: by editing.
It is quite a chore to post pictures in here.
End
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6908.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1983103   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6907.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1983104   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6909.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1983105   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6912.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1983106   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6914.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1983107   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6915.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1983108   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6917.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1983109  

Last edited by Zor; 03-31-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:39 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the pics I can't see anything that stands out as being wrong.

Check that the swashplate bearing is in place correctly, these sometimes can come apart but it is not obvious until you try to fly. Press the top of the swash into the bottom part. If you hear a "click" then it was out of place.

I agree with flyinwalenda that using the DX4 to fly this will make life more difficult.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Today's dedication

Originally Posted by Rob2160

Looking at the pics I can't see anything that stands out as being wrong.

Check that the swash plate bearing is in place correctly, these sometimes can come apart but it is not obvious until you try to fly. Press the top of the swash into the bottom part. If you hear a "click" then it was out of place.

I agree with flyinwalenda that using the DX4 to fly this will make life more difficult.
Hello friends,

FYI . . . I am using my Spektrum DX7 for control. It is not the "s" version, it is the plain DX7.

I have experimented up to now with different travel limits like 75% and 50% and in each case also varied the expo trying 20%, 40% and up to 75% in both travel settings of 75% and 50%.

Today I have examined the PCBoard ( 3 in 1 ) with good illumination and a 10 times ( 10X ) magnifier and did not detect any signs of cracks. I looked at every single soldered joints including all individual solder around the chips. All solders are nice and shiny and no signs of cold joints. This 3 in 1 seems to be very well made. It is beyond my understanding that each components of this small heli can be manufactured, assembled, shipped to America, and sell for $99.00 USD south of the border ( $200.00 CDN here ).

I am dedicating today to learn more, whatever I can find, about the gyros ( AS3X ).
My present knowledge is that there exist two types.

Note to readers _ _ _
Do not take the following as facts. I am explaining my present understanding and it may be in error.

One type detects orientation or changes in orientation.
The other type detects the rate at which oientation is occurring.
The result is some electrical potential ( EMF, Electro Motive Force ) that appear at the sensitive items and used by the processing electronics to vary the output of the command signals controlling the servos.

I have put my heli on a slippery surface ( a large mirror ) adjusted the thottle setting to have enough lift to reduce its weight and fooled around controlling its heading with the transmitter control. That being done without lifting off the surface. It was also interesting to watch the tail prop action while manually changing its heading ( fingers on the supporting skid of the heli carefully going under the rotating main blades ).

Yes readers . . . some of you may call me crazy but you cannot change Zor.

I even made some calculations as to how much accelerating force is requiired to give a 29 grams mass what lateral speed motion in a given time like the fastest reaction time of the typical human ( 1/4 to 1/2 sevond ). I will not go into these calculations here in the forum.

So I am now going to see what I can find about AS3X behavior.

Have a great day all ....

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-01-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Corrected some typos upon rereading.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Zor
Banned

Default The usual frustration

No salutation needed _ _ _ because I am AGAIN frustrated.
It has been my expeience that finding data is extremely difficult.

Ii have spent all my time since my last posting trying to find information about AS3X functioning and how it works.

All sites are talking about is what it does and not how it functions. Nowhere can I find how it does it.
All sites, more than a dozen sites, seem aimed at selling and not at explaining the technicalities.

I have mentioned previously that my doing the experiment suggested to me was not impressive as to the reaction of the AS3X to manually causing a change in attitude. It seems very little to me.

It certainly does not seem to help stabilization with my heli. Again perhaps there is something wrong with my unit. I do not know at this time. I did mention that once the rotor is active the servos responding to a Tx command stay where they have moved .... so ... every command has to be cancelled by another command which results in absolute lack of stability. It also mean that the pilot has to be constantly giving commands.

I am not surprised that all videos I have seen in indoor flying have not presented to me any hovering. It is all flying trying to avoid hitting the walls or other objects. I have not found or seen any video in which I can see the pilot handling the transmitter controls.

I must say also that I do not enjoy watching the videos aimed at selling stuff while the speech does not synchronize with the lips movements. Sometime complete sentences (phrases) being heard in audio while the speaker has his lips completely closed. WOW ! ! !

I will do more experimentation trying to find by myself how my ( those in my heli ) AS3X seems to be functioning. I am still concerned about a possible intermittance in my 3 in 1 board. I have read many reports about some problems with the receiver as posted by others. I cannot forget that my heli sitting about 1/2 inch above the surface for about 3 or 4 seconds suddeny accelerating fast toward the wall WITHOUT me even touching the transmitter sticks. My fingers completely off the sticks.

I was for sure not dreaming.

C U guys later . . .

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-01-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

All you will find is white paper on the AS3X system . You won't find any hard technical paper on it...Horizon would be foolish to leak that.
Here is a video of a hover by a newb pilot. I can keep mine in a rather stable hover until a breeze comes along. You are not going to fly a heli without making slight stick corrections even with a 3 axis gyro. The gyro is an assist ,it's not an autopilot !
Sounds to me like you need to program a more tame throttle and pitch curve in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zRhMmc5lY
Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Your suggestions well taken and used

Blue text by Zor

All you will find is white paper on the AS3X system . You won't find any hard technical paper on it...Horizon would be foolish to leak that.

Yes I realize that for Horizon. I was expecting that perhaps some independent expert would have written something. Perhaps someone did but if anyone did I did not find anything yet.

Here is a video of a hover by a newb pilot. I can keep mine in a rather stable hover until a breeze comes along.

I wonder about many sudden change in the heli position in that video. We quite often see the heli moving to a new position instantly and that new position is often more than a foot away. I am judging that distance in proportion to the size of the heli.

You are not going to fly a heli without making slight stick corrections even with a 3 axis gyro. The gyro is an assist ,it's not an autopilot !
Sounds to me like you need to program a more tame throttle and pitch curve in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-zRhMmc5lY
I understand the pitch curve along with the throttle curve would affect the altitude control ( note ... aLt not aTt ). I have not been concerned much with altitude up to now as I am concentrating on the hoizontal motion upon lift off the surface. I have found that setting all three axis at 50% travel and expo also at 50% I get too much action ( too fast response for me ). The moment I gently move the cyclick TX stick the result is too much. I changed all that to 75% travel expecting enough travel for quick correction and expo so that the first reaction is not so violent.

The servos are responding quite nicely. I still hope to find more about the action of the gyros.
I have to find a way of isolating their contribution. I think all three would act the same way so I think it is possible to observe the heading one acting by itself without TX command.

I have seen it in action but I could not , of course, observe any output since it is not acting on a servo.
I did however observe that the further off heading the higher speed of the tail prop. I did see some action of the pitch and roll gyros but I need more study on that.

Hey _ _ _ up to now I have some enjoyment a different way than I believe most people.
Some day I may even learn to fly it; future will tell.

I have to find a 6 volt DC supply to plug into the charger. It is consumng 4 AA cells at a fast rate.

Cheers,

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-02-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Temporary end

I am not giving up.

I ran out of five sets of AA alcalines to recharge these tiny 1S 3.7 V .

That is 20 AA cells now too low in voltage to do the charging.
That is also $20 of experimentations.

I will wait till I get a 6 volts DC wall outlet supply with proper polarity to feed this charger.

I do not know how many mAh are needed to recharge one of those heli cells.
I am still so ignorant but I can tell when a set of 4 AAs has dropped in voltage enough that the charger does not work anymore. So I put in 4 fresh AAs and keep going. I m now out of 20 AAs without enough voltage.

Zor
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
flyinwalenda

You don't have a better lipo charger ? For another $20.00 you could have bought a decent entry-level charger.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Zor
Banned

You don't have a better lipo charger ? For another $20.00 you could have bought a decent entry-level charger.
Hi flyinwalenda,

I went eletric quite recently and I have 3S 2300 mAh and 3S 3200 mAh battery packs.
I have only one charger for lipos. A parkzone 2-3 Cell Balancing Li-PoCharger and is not suitable.

You have no idea of the local market here. This charger cost me nearly $90.00 .
I was interested in a much more flexible charger but the LHS wanted over $200.00 so I put up with this one.

As I think I mentioned earlier I have an adaper that takes the 12-14 volts auto cigar lighter voltage and can be switched to output 3.0 V, 4.5 V, 6.0 V, 7.5 V, and 9.0 V and is rated at 300 mA.
It has a connector that fits the Eflite charger but the center pin is negative. The Eflite wants a positive on the center pin. I may just cut the the four feet long output wire a few inches from the connector and twist the wires to reverse the polarity.

My parkzone charger also has 12-14 volts input ( auto cigar lighter connector ).
I can feed either with my 13.8 volts regulated power supply rated at 25 amps.

Then I do not have to spend any more $$$ .

I do not see much activity in this area of the forum.
I am grateful for your presence and help.

Best regards from Zor.

P.S.: As I am writing this I see that the US navy Poseidon, RSCU 74 is on its way to the search area and is now about 300 miles west of Australia over the Indian Ocean cruising along at 30,500 feet at 386 Kts. Low speed due to 12 hours of fuel on board.

End

Last edited by Zor; 04-02-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Previous post did not work

For whatever reason my previous post did not upload. I am trying again.

I am now charging the 1S 3.7 V tiny batteries from the 117 V 60 Hz wall outlet.

I reversed the polariy of my 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 volts supply and using it on the 6 volts position.

It works beautifully.

Zor

Name:	R 100_6919.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1983671  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Some pictures

Hello,

I will try to post 11 (eleven) pictures as part of my study on the behavior of the AS3X gyros.

NOTE TO READERS

Make your own evaluation ( interpretation ) of these pictures.

I have no comments at this moment.

Zor

Name:	R 100_6920.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1983744   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6921.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1983745   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6922.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1983746   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6923.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1983747   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6924.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1983748   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6925.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1983749   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6928.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1983750   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6927.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1983753  

Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6929.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1983754   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6930.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1983755   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6926.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1983765  

Last edited by Zor; 04-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Zor
Banned

Default What is Zor doing ?

Greetings to all,

History and facts

I have been in the RC airplane hobby since the mid 1950s.
I was never interested in helicopters until this small BLADE Nano CP X was given to me all in original packaging.

Of course my curiosity made me look at how it was made. I also went to look at some full size helicopters and compare the structures.
It was interesting to me to see the linear servos compared to the usual rotary types.
The part still not well known is the PC board (so called 3 in 1) component.
As I look at the front face of the board I think the lower right chip is the receiver and its antenna is rolled around part of the frame behind the board. A varnished small solid wire about the proper length for 2.4 Gigahertz band.
I believe at this momnet that there is two ESC which are the two smll rectangular chips seen as we look at the front face of the board. One at the left edge of the boad a bit higher than half way and the other identical looking a bit above and slighltly to the right.
I do not know what the chip at bottom left front side is or what is its function(s).
There is also a chip on the rear face of the board and I suspect that is the AS3X chip. Without pulling out the PC board there seems to be some conductors going to the servo plugs connectors.

If anyone knows the layout of that PC baoard and post some description it would be much appreciated.
Flyng this small heli is not part of my hobby ambition at this time. My interest is "what is going on ?"

Pictures in previous posting

I took those pictures while trying to see the action of the gyros.
The first 3 pictures at the top are without activation of the motors. In that condition the servos return to center. I previously had to check and adjust the length of the rear servo link rod to get zero pitch at half throttle. A previous post shows pictures of the result of that.

I was trying to judge the swash assembly bottom part in relation to the top of the PC board and the tail boom to see if they were parrallel.

Pic 4 and 5 (second line of pics) are pic 4 with the throttle now at half settings (zero pitch) and pic 5 at full throttle (max positive pitch). The heli still sitting and NOT moved.
Pic 6 to 11 are observing the lower part of the swash plate to see the action of the gyros as the heli is changed attitude WITHOUT any command from the transmitter. The pics are obviously showing the changed attitude by noticing the PC board and the tail boom.

My impression on this first experiment is that the gyros are slow in initiating any correction. I have commented about that in a previous post. I also feel ( note that I may be wrong and more experiment will be done ) that the amount of correction is small in view of stabilizing the heli. I also noticed a couple of times that there was no response from changing the heli attitde (pitch and roll).

More experimentation coming

In some pictures (previous posting) the slots at the head assembly can be seen to change angle (blade pitch). I am thinking of a way to be able to observe the blade pitch angle at full range of throttle control without the heli lifting up; perhaps small blade area might do the trick.

I am convinced that the gyros do not know if the landing skids are in contact with a surface or not.
I also think they do not know if there are blades on the head or what kind of blades are there.

Note that the camera flash stops any visible rotation of the head.
Such flash action is similar to the lack of synchronization in a video when a vehicle moving forward show the wheels turning backward.

Why do I keep posting ?

Honestly _ _ _ I do not know that either.
Based on the lack of interest and participation I may just stop posting.
That might be more intelligent.

Meanwhile . . . . cheers . . . .

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-04-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Zor
Banned

Default What did I do next ?

Hi _ _ _

I wanted to be able to see the gyros action better than observing the lower part of the swash assembly.

So I made some home brew main rotor blades aimed at not lifting the heli while providing some lift.
The first set I made actually provided enough lift to take the heli off the table. I reduced their length by 1/2 inch and the shorter ones is what you see in the pictures.

They certainly are not the best aerodynamic design but they provided the information I was looking for.

By now I pretty well concluded the purpose of the AS3X in terms of how they function, what degree of stabilization they can provide with the regular main blades installed. I am happy with my experiments and feel I have acquired knowledge impossible to get out of flying.

Of course the knowledge will not make be a better pilot. That will have to wait for the flying season to open and perhaps experiment with a bigger machine that has different gyros. I understand that some gyros are adjustabele for sensitivity, gain and output so that their contribution to stability can be controlled.

Always something new to learn and that makes some of the fascination of this hobby.

Enjoy your flying.

Zor

Name:	R 100_6931.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1984146   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6932.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1984147  

Last edited by Zor; 04-04-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM
flyinwalenda

Seems like you are enjoying what you are doing...and that's what counts. For me though, spending the time to figure out how AS3X works is effort in futility in my opinion. If/when you do figure it out the next new mousetrap will come out and this will be outdated technology. I'd rather put the time into correctly setting it up, leveling the head, balancing the blades, etc..etc... . and then practice, practice, practice; learning to fly it better and better. .....but that's just me.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Statistics

Seems like you are enjoying what you are doing...and that's what counts. For me though, spending the time to figure out how AS3X works is effort in futility in my opinion. If/when you do figure it out the next new mousetrap will come out and this will be outdated technology. I'd rather put the time into correctly setting it up, leveling the head, balancing the blades, etc..etc... . and then practice, practice, practice; learning to fly it better and better. .....but that's just me.
flyinwalenda,

You are certainly entitled to be yourself like all of us.

I have wondered about the apparent lack of interest in this part of the forum dealing with ' Flybarless Helicopters '.

I notice that from 05 April 2013 to 05 April 2014, a whole year there has been only 42 responses to the thread postings in 52 weeks.

I initiated a thead on 27 March 2014 and as of today 05 April 2014 in only 9 (nine) days there is 39 postings.
Zor . . . . . . . 23
flyinwalenda 12
Rob2160 . . . 3
Mpizpilot . . . . 1

There is quite a few viewers reported and it cannot be just the four of us.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I am enjoying what I am doing particularly as I am acquiring knowledge.
I always enjoyed building, designing and experimenting more than flying models.
I have done a fair amount of flying model airplanes starting with free flights, U control, and then pioneering my home built radio controls.

Now I have been hit with helicopters and I do not know if the interest will last.
It likely would if I graduate into a larger heli with more weight, more inertia, better control capability.
I am not very satisfied with my findings up to now. A larger heli possibly in the so called 350 or 450 size is pretty expensive for my means. My inquiries are pointing to around $1,000.00 or more and very expensive replacement parts.

My calculated estimate of flying cost is for 20 hours in a season is $245.00 minimum or $12.25 per hour not considering any needed replacement parts and the cost of going to get them.

Some thinking is needed.

Best 2 U always,

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-06-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Corrected gratuade to graduate
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Zor
Banned

Default This may be my last posting

Hello all viewers,

Except for three fellows I have had little response and I feel I am loosing my time.

I have many questions and am trying to find anwers. I realize that most flyers are not interested in 'what is going on' inside this small heli but I am and I do not feel I have to justify my curiosity.

Here are some questions I am trying to find answers to _ _ _

1 - What is the function of the chip at the lower left of the front of the PC board ?

2 - What is the function of the chip on the rear face of the PC board ?

3 - How much correction is the AS3X expected to provide ?

..... a) This could be expressed in terms of angle of deflection as seen from the lower part of the swash assembly or . . .
..... b) in terms of a) above for a specific angle of pitch or roll. Example: If the heli has nosed down 10 degrees ( or any amount) how much servo motion is the AS3X expected to provide for correction ? I tried to observe that and took 11 pictures illustrated in a previous post.

4 - Which type are the three gyros ?
..... A) From my observations it seems that the yaw control is fixed ( not rate ). When a change of heading is commanded from the transmitter the yaw gyro is working to keep that new heading.
..... b) If the pitch and roll gyros are working the same as the yaw one then we have a condition in which constant commands are ( would be ) needed to hover above a fixed location.

5 - How is the main gear fastened at the bottom of the main shaft ? In my case it keeps slipping out of location and produce an axial play ( up and down ) of up to a good 1/16 inch. There is a small bit of what looks like black pitch at the bottome end of the shaft that is not very hard and seem to give with the up force of the lift. I did not yet try to remove that large gear to see also what prevents it from spinning around the shaft. I do not have any material to cement it in place in both circularly and axially. It seems that the two main bearings inner raceway or outer raceway ( or both ) are allowing slippage of the main shaft versus the frame structure. Upon observation the shaft is easily slipping inside the bearings inner raceways.
Any axial slippage changes the main blades pitch angles.

So much to be learned about this small heli. It is all part of my interest. I look at it as an engineering achievement and not as just a toy to try to fly it. That can come later.

Wishing all a great day,

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-07-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Zor
Banned

Default View all images does not work

Hi , , , , , ,

There is a small icon that when the mouse is on it it says "view all images".

I click it and all I get is a bunch of small rotating dots.
Tried it on other threads with the same results.

----------------

I am ready to give up on this small heli. I have suspected for quite a while that it was given to me because of a problem. It appears to be an intermittance.

I am running it and am observing the response of the servos to commands from the transmitter controls.
The response appears normal, the servos are responding in the expected direction, then suddenly there is no more response; like all three servos would have gone dead.

It is not the first time I noticed that and one of the reason I said earlier "it might be my last post".

Again all the best to the many viewers.

Zor
Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Zor
Banned

Default My BLACK box ( ORANGE ) in color .... L O L

Well I am still here _ _ _ and there is a reason. There is always a reason for anything.

Ragardless of having no response I woke up this morning and read the recordings in my black box.
Some recordings took place while I was asleep.

I am aware that being mainly the sole writer in this thread I may be judge as 'trolling'.
All my postings are related to the study of the small BLADE Nano CP X heli given to me.

I mentioned in the previous posting the possible intermittance as being cause for the sudden interruption of servo response. I had in mind that I have read from others their experience with some trouble with the receiver chip soldering.

Waking up this morning and reading my black box recordings It said something about low voltage.
I do not know the minimum voltage below which the receiver or the servos are rated for.
So . . . again . . . I will look for a reason.

I will open the battery wires and provide for being able to measure the voltage of the battery as it is being discharged. It will also allow me to measure the current being drawn in different conditions ( varying the throttle and collective ) keeping in mind that the leads of the ammeter has some resistance added in the series circuit.

I suspect that the minimum voltage needed by the servos or receiver is higher than the LV ( Low Voltage ) detector that protects the Li-Pos. Likely the receiver minimum voltage since all three servos stop simultaneously.

Never a dull moment in this hobby.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-08-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Zor
Banned

Default As I said "Never a dull moment"

Hello,

Well _ _ _ see what I did.

Now I do not need a magnifying glass to see some of the parts.

It will not take me a whole minute to plug in the battery becasuse the connectors were so small.

The gyros are built in the receiver and have gain control. That should be interesting.

It seems to be very well engineered and has all the features I was originally thinking of.
Outrunner motor, individual servos, 7 channels receiver, 25 amps ESC as a separate unit, belt driven rear variable pitch prop, a solid landing skid, and all replacement parts in stock at the LHS.
Comes with one battery pack and a balancing charger. It is amazing how much electronics there is in that balancing charger. Yes . . . I had to have a look because . . . that is me.

I like the way it appears to be of solid construction.

I compared to the 450 of nearly identical construction except for size. The smaller size is more convenient to me and at half the cost of the larger one.

Something much more interesting to play with and study.

Wish me good luck.

Zor

Name:	R 100_6936.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1985391   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6937.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1985392   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6938.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1985393   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6939.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1985394   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6940.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1985395   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6941.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1985396   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6942.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1985397  

Last edited by Zor; 04-08-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Zor
Banned

Default About this thread . . . What should I do ?

Greetings,

Now that I have acquired a BLADE 300 X I am temporarily putting the Nano CP X aside to continue my heli education using the 300 X.

The name of this thread becomes confusing and I do not know how to change the thread name ( title ).
I figure I should not start a new thread and thus mislead the viewers.

I feel the best thing to do is to continue in this thread as most viewers would realize what has happened.
I have done a lot of looking around this new 300 X and the more I scrutinize the more I like it.

Reasons for liking the 300 X _ _ _ Just mentioning a few _ _ _
1 - It seems strongly built,
2 - It has separate more conventionally known components such as regular types servos, a separate 7 channel ( ports ) receiver, an outrunner motor, a variable pitch rear propeller, and large enough components that a magnifier is not needed to see them, . . . . . L O L
3 - It is fully aerobatic even though I am far from flying it.
4 - To pursue an education, the proper type of gear is needed and I feel this 300 X has it.

The manual has four separate sheets to modify some errors (as mentioned on those sheets) printed in the manual. It shows the manufacturer or distributor are doing some follow up on this 300 X. That is good and reassuring.

Beside a 3S 1350 mAh Li-Po and a balancing charger that needs a separate 12 volts supply source it came with a few items illustrated in the attached ;photo. Since I do not know ( if possible ) to show captions I am commenting here on the photo items _ _ _
a) two 1.5 mm Allen keys and a 2 mm.
b) A phillips screwdriver or a similar far eastern version. The tip angles are different but this one seems to fit the screws properly. The one with the Nano did not.
c) A bind plug.
d) A strip of Velcro with back adhesive. I wonder if that is supposed to be glued to the battery. Of course I bought a spare battery to be charged while I make investigating work with the other battery. Doesn't everyone get at least one spare battery ?
e) A 1/8" thick 1 3/8" x 1" insulating pad as seen under the receiver. I guess that is if someone wish to change the receiver.
f) A strip of five small double adhesive material. I am guessing that is perhaps for adhering a different receiver to the pad in "e" above.
g) The two black pieces top right in the photo . . . . I have no idea at this moment what they are for. Hopefully I will find out later.

I am hoping that these postings might be helpfull to some of the viewers reading this thread.
Today I plan to remove the main blades and program my DX7 and do some experimentation.

Should be fascinating . . . .

Regards to all readers.

Zor

Name:	R 100_6943.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1985569  

Last edited by Zor; 04-09-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Formatting the post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Some observations

Hello readers,

CONCERNING THIS THREAD

There is reported 588 viewers as of 13:00 EDT today 10 April 2014.
If we remove the number of times I personally viewed this thread I think there remain close to 500 times it was viewed by others. That is the main reason at this time I keep on posting.

SOME OBSERVED DIFFERENCES _ _ _ BLADE 300 X versus BLADE Nano CP X.

1 - Obvious difference in size.
2 - 300 X much more solid construction.
3 - 300 X servo response much slower than the Nano. Please see notes about the receiver below.
4 - 300 X uses more conventional rotary servos ( Eflite DS76 digital ).
5 - 300 X has a swash assembly that does not show slop as does the Nano that I have.
6 - 300 X servos return toward center when the transmitter stick are centered after a command. The Nano did not.
7 - 300 X has a AR7200BX receiver that is apparently programmable and includes the gyros stabilization system also gain controllable. The Nano has a receiver unknown to me.
8 - 300 X has vibrations of much higher mass and thus more noticeable than the Nano.
9 - 300 X has an outrunner 4500 kv motor while the Nano has a series motor.
10 - Other differences . . . . . . Someone might say "there is no comparison" . . . Agreed.

SOME COMMENTS

The BLADE 300 X manual reads at the bottom of page 12 "Please refer to the Spektrum AR7200BX instruction manual included wih your helicopter for more information"

Such manual IS NOT included.

I was able to find the manual on the intertnet and downloaded it and saved it.
I quickly glanced at the manual and found that it will take many hours to learn its characteristics and program setup or program modifications. It is a very elaborate receiver.

AR7200BX RECEIVER

Apparently a receiver specially designed for helicopters and including programable firmware and the integrated BeastX flybarless technology.

I still have to spend some hours learning about this receiver and its effects for the 300 X controls.
It looks like it can control the speed of the servo response. I noticed that not only the servos return toward their neutral position following a command but also that the gyros stabilization action also slowly cancels themselves.

I have to enjoy many hours of studies for that receiver.

Anyone out there with any comments ?

Zor
Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Zor
Banned

Default A well deserved rest

Hey Gals and Guys,

I am temporarily putting my little BLADE Nano CP X to rest after her great contribution to my helicopter education.

Some day it will be awakened for some action. It has contributed much to my knowledge of helicopters and will hold a prime position in my hangar as my baby aircraft.

I have to confess that in my dozens of experiments I have crashed it many times against the hard floor and walls. It is going to sleep without any damage. I have to give credit to the designers of this little beauty to have accomplished a marvelous product.

I will now enjoy many hours of studying the AR7200BX receiver and all its intricacies.

Thanks to all the readers viewing this thread . . . I hope that perhaps it is useful to some fellows.
It illustrate the adventures that I am still enjoying in this RC hobby.

Cheers,

Zor

Name:	R 100_6944.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1985806  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Kind attention of moderators

Can a moderator change the title of this thread ?

If so, please change " BLADE Nano CP X " to " BLADE Nano CP X and BLADE 300 X ".

Thanks for your kindness.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 04-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Pursuing my studies

Hello,

Viewers reports gone up from 628 to 640; less one from me means some fellows had a look even though no one has posted.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours studying the receiver that comes with the BLADE 300 X.
It is a Spktrum AR7200BX designed specifically for helicopter use and has built in stabilization capabilities as well as some setting up that can be changed by a method of programming.

The manual is not always obvious to me as to how it is done and I have many more hours to spend to understand it better ( understand it to my satisfaction ). I often ask myself " what the heck are they talking about ? I also found some differences in the stated "defaults " between the receiver manual and the 300 X manual. I have to assume that some of the receiver defaults have been changed for the 300 X application and that is why the 300 X manual is showing some defaults that are different. When I learn how to read those settings I will feel more comfortable with my understandings. I did not see any explanations how to read the existing settings so that is another exercice in serendipity; keep guessing and trying and by chance and patience the answer can be found.

I have observed some of the gyros action toward better stability and concluded at this stage that their action is equivlant to reduced input commands. Explaining ----> If the transmitter sticks controls are set linear the gyros are in effect producing the effect of having some exponential settings. The advantage of the gyros being there however is that they react to attitude (pitch, roll and yaw) changes that may occur without a command from the transmitter.

Apparently the yaw gyro ( heading ) can be set to act as a rate or as a hold gyro as depicted by the status led being solid red or solid blue. I still have to learn how to set that up but leave it as it came from the factory settings which I assume to be proper as default for the 300 X. Presently that status led is blue when I fire up and my experiments have proven that it is on hold heading and not on rate.

These are fascinating studies that keeps my mind active. My only complain is the often lack of clarity in the way manuals are written.

More later _ _ _ if I continue posting _ _ _ should I ?

Zor

P.S.: Any moderator with the capability to modifying the thread title ?

Last edited by Zor; 04-12-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Checking spelling and format
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Modifications ..... already ?

YEP . . . I modify anything I do not like.

On the right side of the heli there is two servo wires going toward the top.
The white platic tie was routed in the opening of the main driving gear and nearly touching.
The clearance to the gear was no more than 1/32 inch. I did not like that so I installed a new tie using the lower opening of the frame. The picture shows the new location and the new tie is cut a bit longer compared to others.

On the left side the antenna at the end of the coax was right against the structural component.
I do not know if this component might be a carbon fiber tube and I did not like that so I moved it about 1/2 inch away.

It just makes me feel better . . . L O L . . . .

More studies this evening about the AR7200BX.

Spring is now here and the rhubard is one inch out of the soil.
Getting my airplanes ready for the flying season.

A surprise seen this afternoon _ _ _ _ _
Friday 11 April 2014 at 20:06 EDT the viewers reported were 628
Saturday 12 April at 17:35 EDT the viewers reported are 781.
A fascinating observation if it is factual.

Zor

Name:	R 100_6946.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1986414   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6945.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1986415  

Last edited by Zor; 04-12-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Correcting some typos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.