Notices
Flybarless Helicopters Discuss flybarless rotor head systems for all helicopters right here.

BLADE Nano CP X

Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyingjmerritt

not sure of your helicopter skills. but as a suggestion if you're new to helicopters i would get a flight simulator to learn on like real flight or something similar. if nothing else least to learn the basics like hovering,autorotations and such. save you some money in the long run so you don't wreck your helicopter as often. i still have my real flight simulator i still use mine like in the winter to stay in practice and such and maneuvers stuff like that. that way when your ready to fly your real r/c helicopter you least know the basics. just a thought.
flyingjmerritt,

In plain words, I am not a helicopter pilot.
I am hoping that some day I will be capable of controlling my BLADE 300 X off the ground.

I expect that to happen sometime this summer. I do not have anymore the reaction speed I used to have when I was a lot younger.

I have had a Phoenix version 4 simulator for many months. It came with a Spektrum DX5e transmitter.
Every time I booted it I got fedup with it very quickly. Nothing wrong with the simulator as far as I can estimate. We ( the simulator and myself ) are just not gettng along. Now why are the smileys not posting ?
My computer is also not friendly. I can never be sure of what will happen. Now I cannot post a smiley.

Talk to you later . . . I will shut off and cool down.
Editing much later I was able to insert a smiley but not from the right hand side of the monitor.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 05-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Some thinking

Hello All viewers,

General

This thread has now a wrong title. It was initiated when I was handling a small BLADE Nano CP X.
I am now handling a BLADE 300 X. When it involves my own hobby activities I think it is logical to keep my own activities in a single thread. I have made four requests for help to modify this thread title but have not seen any change yet and had no response or replies to my request.

Some thinking from a newly interested helicopter new B

I have seen (watched) many videos of the 300 X in flight and seen its ability 'lift wise' to rapidly change its trajectory from a fast descent to a fast ascent ( climb ). Lots of lift available which means it can accommodate a bit more weight like probably less than another ounce of weight.

I think that most of the time any serious damage occur when the main blades hit a solid object like bush, tree, fence or the ground. I have seen some addition to the landing structure that extends the width and length of the heli landing structure. Yep . . . I hate to refer to that as a 'landing gear' that has no gears. ... Hey ... the smiley worked this time.

I am studying the idea of removing the present (original) landing component and designing a new light weight structure to reduce the likelihood of the main blade hitting the ground while avoiding a flying site that has trees, fences or other things to obstruct the main blades. The new landing structure would assemble ( would be screwed on at the same location with the same screws ) as per the original.

What I am now doing

I am doing many things . . .
1 - removing and weighting the existing landing component.
2 - weighting the material to be used making the new landing structure.
3 - Got 6 official size ping pong balls ( $2.80 )
4 - I have dozens of aluminum welding rods 3/32" dia and .36" long to use as a stucture. I would use two and four ping pong balls with two painted a different color to help vision of the orientation. Yep . . . nothing new in concept.
5 - Doing a drawing to figure out dimensions, bending angles and so on.
6 - I am having fun and keep my mind busy and active . . .

Will post pictures _ _ _ stay tuned _ _ _

Zor
Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Changed my mind

Hello guys,

Changed my mind in the sense that I will not remove the existing landing structure; I will just add underneath.

The helis on the scale reads 496 grams. With the added material it becomes 529 grams. Just a bit more than one ounce of weight.

I made a drawing of the added structure and it looks good to me.

I will post pictures when assembled.

Zor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6980.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1993365   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6981.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1993366   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_6982.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1993367  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 PM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most people don't remove the landing skids. most i seen just rubber bands the training gear to the bottom of the landings skid.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Strange experience this morning

Originally Posted by flyingjmerritt

most people don't remove the landing skids. most i seen just rubber bands the training gear to the bottom of the landings skid.
Hello All,

Thanks flyingjmerritt for your information.

Strange experience

As I came in this morning It was asking me to sign in. I do not know why.
As I clicked the sign in the sign in display would not come on. I would time out without appearing. I tried many times.
So I clicked register and put in Zor and my password and it signed me in; Strange.

So I am not doing differently

I was trying to think of a way to reduce the risks of the main blades hitting the ground while under power. I had seen a couple of years ago a fellow at the field having such a gimmick on his heli which was about the same size as the BLADE 300 X. So I thought of the aluminum rods that might help and pursued the idea. It is not a new idea and I am not taking any credit for it.

In my design, the drawing allows me to figure a bent angle so that when the balls hit the ground the action is above the CG so that the heli falls flat down instead of going on the side and have the blades hit the ground. It will be interesting to see the results. I am planning to have the balls so they can roll freely upon contact.

Hey _ _ _ nothing wrong having some thinking and some fun.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 05-08-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Working on added landing skid

Hello all,

I will be posting pictures later.

The purpose of this posting is to check if I can post using my new wireless laptop.

Learning how to use this laptop is another new experience for me.
See you soon.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 05-12-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Will it help ?

Hello folks,

I do not know if it will help. I hope it will.
Meanwhile it keeps me busy mixed up with gardening and repairing backyard accessories.

The ping pong balls are freely spinning. I figure it may reduce friction and the risks of tilt over.
The aluminum rods will be tied to the existing landing skid using small strings. The two front balls wil be painted some color to help orientation view.

I intend to bend the rods downward a bit but not so much that a sideward tilt would allow the main blades of touching the ground. I just think that some experimentation will be fun.

I am thinking of putting on light strong sewing thread like 10 gauge forming a rectangle just inside the balls.
I will make some dropping tests and see what is happening. With my airplanes I always made dropping tests testing the landing gear strength and structure. Typical drop test is from 3 to 4 feet from the floor.
I may do these drop tests with the main blade not turning and also turning at zero pitch angle.

I enjoy experimentations even though some fellows may think I may be _ _ _ _ ? ? ? .. .. .. ..

Anyone out there ? only viewers ?

Zor

Name:	R 100_7011.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1995113   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7012.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1995115   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7013.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1995116   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7014.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1995117   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7015.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1995118   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7016.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1995119  
Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Another step forward

Greetings,

How well will it work remains to be seen.

I took a picture of the assembly. It is not easy to hold the heli in my right hand and the camera in my left hand. I cannot see what the camera is seeing but I got a picture.

I cannot illustrate the tests I made but I will try to describe them in writing. Each test was repeated at least three times.

Holding the heli in about a 45 degrees rolled attitude and the lower ping pong balls about one foot off the floor I let it drop vertically down. Of course it ended on the floor in normal flat position. I did that many times and on both sides like left and right roll. I was really checking if the aluminum rods would take a bend and keep it. They did not; they remained straight.

I made similar tests pitching forward and backward again reaching an attitude up to about 45 degrees.
No problem seen and the rods of course do some bending but do not stay bent. In a pitch up nose attitude of course the tail vertical fin touches first.

Now trying to simulate a landing with lateral and forward velocity.
So I held the heli about 2 feet above the floor and threw it forward and other times sideways so it had a fair velocity horizontally in relation to the floor and giving it different attitudes in pitch and roll.

All I can say for now is that it has no signs of damage after having been thrown at least 40 ( forty ) times in various attitude as I was playing around.

The picture was taken after all this fooling around.

Zor

Name:	R 100_7025.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1995371  

Last edited by Zor; 05-15-2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Typos (spelling) corrections.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Replying to a query

I was asked about my avatar's origin.
It is a picture of a painting I made of the first aircraft the company acquired to move people independent of airline travel and schedules. The painting is hanging in my living room.

Often the company executives entertaining customers at dinner times had to stay overnight and fly back the next day. The airlines schedules were not very accommodating and great lost of time to arrive at the airports early to check in to their flight. The company location being a 10 minutes drive from the airport they could hop into a car and in less than 20 minutes be airborne to their destination.

The airplane as many must have recognized is a Piper Twin Comanche. A four seater with two 160 HP engines. It did not last long ( about 1 1/2 year ). It was sold and the company acquired a Piper Aztec; a six seater with two 250 HP engines. It did not last long either ( about 1 year ). The company having landed a multi million dollar contract sold the Aztec and bought a stretched pressurized 9 seater plus crew Aero Grand Commander with two Airreasearch turboprop engines rated at 690 shaft HP each. A mini-ailiner with all the amenities on board. Private toilet, fully stocked bar at all times and a separate cockpit for the crew.

It was not always easy at departing airports to provide meals and snacks for passengers not knowing their preferences and diets.

End of avatar explanation.

Hopefully this is not considered "trolliing".
Thick fog this morning and showers tonight with risks of thunderstorms.

Zor

Name:	R 100_7026.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1995475  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Suspicions became reality

Well I tried and earlier tests looked good, however even though I did not mention it, I was suspicious about these aluminum rods being too soft. These rods are for welding aluminum as filling material. They are, if I can express myself as follows, like pure aluminum and quite soft.

I am not surprised that it broke as I was bending them to assure that the impact would be reflected above the heli CG. I will see next week if my friend the spring manufacturer is still around and try to scrounge some spring wire like I did many times making wire landing gear. The wire could be quite a bit smaller in diameter to save weight but would not break. It might even bend more than this aluminum did and thus contribute to more flexible impact reduction to the structure.

If I find that spring manufacturer a problem could be that he may not have straight pieces about 36 inches long alredy heat treated. There is nothing wrong in trying.

Wish me luck to find spring wire.

Zor

Name:	R 100_7034.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1995911  
Old 05-17-2014, 03:02 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Why reinvent the wheel?
Training gear needs to be nothing more than wooden dowels or bamboo sticks with the plastic golf balls attached at the ends and then ty-rap the gear to the skids. When you have a hard landing the wood will absorb the impact and sometimes will break one of the legs , so simply replace it. The last thing you want is spring wire to bounce the machine back in the air and possibly damage it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Good advice from flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda

Blue text inserted by Zor

Why reinvent the wheel?

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. I am thinking from my own experience with model airplanes that have wire landing gears. The spring wire never kept a bend and rarely would bounce the model back in the air.
In this case of a helicopter if the spring would bounce it back airborne it wold simply ( I think ) bounce not too far up and land again without damage.

Training gear needs to be nothing more than wooden dowels or bamboo sticks with the plastic golf balls attached at the ends and then ty-rap the gear to the skids. When you have a hard landing the wood will absorb the impact and sometimes will break one of the legs , so simply replace it.

I was trying to build this with material that is light and would not break.

The last thing you want is spring wire to bounce the machine back in the air and possibly damage it.

With my lack of experience with helis I still think that in the event of an abnormal landing I would flip the 'hold switch' and cut off the power to the motor.
Your advice is appreciated and urges me to do more thinking about this.

Many thanks for coming back after post # 52.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 05-17-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Zor
Banned

Default I have not given up

Hi _ _ _

In the last week I had to tackle essential spring duties such as gardening, cutting lawns and repair the garden shed (not yet finished). Beautiful flying weather used for household spring esssentials.

Sometime in mid or late June I should be flying my Radian pro, my Spectra, my Super Skybolt and experiment with the BLADE 300 X.

So I will be quiet for a while in this thread but am not going away.

Zor
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Doing the wrong thing

Hi,

I know I am doing the wrong thing but I am doing something .

I have no idea at this moment where I could find some light weight bamboo having an outside diameter of about 1/4" or 3/8" in lengths of 36" or more.

So _ _ _ for now _ _ _ I replaced the aluminum wire with 1/16" dia piano wire. It is much too flexible but at least it will not break. If the landing has a fair amount of horizontal motion related to the ground it should prevent a roll or pitch over resulting in the main blades hitting ground. If the heli has enough pitch nose down attitude or enough angle of roll the flexibility of these wires may not prevent the main rotor from touching ground.

I have no doubt that more resistance to bendng is needed and no doubt that I will investigate the weight of wooden rods of different diameters. I will also keep searching for a source of bamboo.

I think bamboo would be the ideal solution as was kindly mentioned earlier by flyinwalenda..

Zor

Editing . . .
I notice in the second picture that the tie-wraps allowed the wire to slip out ( left side of the heli at the back ) I will go back to good ordinary strings wraped around that this cannot happen.
End.

Name:	R 100_7061.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1999494   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7062.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1999495  

Last edited by Zor; 05-28-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Motto _ _ _ NEVER give up.

HEY _ _ _

Look what I found . . . . . and in my own junk ( read .... precious material ).

Never give up on an idea and never give up what some day can become a treasure.

The short one on the left is 5.0 feet long and weigh 52 grams ( 1.84 oz ).
The long one on the right is 6.0 feet long and weigh 57 grams ( 2.01 oz ).

I may redo the beginner's skid at 48 inches instead of 36 inches.
I think that these bamboos would not break easily and would not bend much.

I am thinking of just adding the ping pong balls at the very end without the bamboo going through the balls.

What do you guys think ?

Zor

Name:	R 100_7063.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1999850   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7064.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1999851  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Still not giving up

One of my mottos "never give up".

I have to find time to rebuild my beginner's skid for the BLADE 300 X helicopter using the bamboo so I can experiment with it. .

A rotted backyard fence needed repair and I have spent many days redesigning it, going to get material and doing the work. It is now in position and still has to be fastened permanently.

Some household chores have to take priority over hobby's activities.
I certainly am not giving up after fifty-nine years in the hobby.

C U all soon.

Zor
Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Hello to the nice people

Hi,

I am working on making the bamboo beginner's skid and in anticipation of flying experiments I have fired up the flight simulator using the transmitter that came with it.

I am very disappointed.

The reasons for my disappointment are the behavior of this simulator as compared to visual observations of folks at the flying field flying helicopters.

Some of the main comparisons are _ _ _

The view of the heli on a 18 inch monitor ( diagonal measure ) is so small that I cannot see its attitude, orientation, and even completely loose sight of it.

Whenever it is visible good enough to see its attitude the response to the controls is much too fast ( much too sensitive in changing attitude { pitch and roll }) which most of the time results in it becomng as I said above too small to keep trying to fly it.

It has no stability at all which I think should be expected. I do not know if this heli in the simulator has any gyros in action. It does not seem to have.

Comparing the response time seen at the field ( as fellows fly their heli ) whenever an attitude is changed to the response in the simulator, I find the simulator response to be extremely slow in comparison or even having no action at all.

Perhaps there is many adjustments that can be made with the simulator. I do not know and do not have time to research that.

I am planning to do my experimentation using the real model.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 07-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Zor
One of my mottos "never give up".

I have to find time to rebuild my beginner's skid for the BLADE 300 X helicopter using the bamboo so I can experiment with it. .

A rotted backyard fence needed repair and I have spent many days redesigning it, going to get material and doing the work. It is now in position and still has to be fastened permanently.

Some household chores have to take priority over hobby's activities.
I certainly am not giving up after fifty-nine years in the hobby.

C U all soon.

Zor
Good work Zor,

As they say on Galaxy Quest..

Never give up..

Never surrender...

I enjoy reading your posts.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Did not find but MADE time .... L O L

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Good work Zor,

As they say on Galaxy Quest..

Never give up..

Never surrender...

I enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks Rob for an interesting link and your comment.

Your post gave me a kick in the XXX _ _ _ most know where that is .

I cut the bamboos to 48 inches. I can always cut them shorter later.
The center of the length is marked at 24" and the CG of each is also marked.
I figure I would criscross the two bamboos at their CG so that it would not affect the heli balance in pitch and roll.

The heli CG is somewhere along the main shaft and I plan to mount this assembly so the added skid is as exactly below the heli CG as I can. The differences in length from the CG is about 3/4" and I figure it is not of importance for the purpose.

Now to mount the ping pong balls using the same wire they are already on.
I am thinking of a way to mount that skid using two wing nuts.

More soon . . . .

Zor

P.S.: I do not know why one pic with the black background is turned 90 degrees. Same camera orientation was used.
End

Name:	R 100_7169.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2011013   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7170.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2011014   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7171.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2011015  
Old 07-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Zor
Banned

Default YA _ _ _ I am still here

Hi folks,

Beside all the normal life chores I spent the last two weeks fixing my old Ford van that needed some loving care. My only wheels at this time.

Hope to return to some hobby work this week.

Zor
Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Stealing time from other chores.

Greetings,

I mounted the ping pong balls at the ends of the bamboo rods.
It is aimed only at being practical so beauty and precision is left aside.

Now to fasten the rods to the existing landing skid.
This might make the heli too heavy as the two rods now weigh 111 ( one hundred and eleven ) grams.
Just about 111 / 28.3 = 3.92 weight ounces. Added will be material to fasten these rods to the heli; a few more grams.

If that makes the heli so heavy that it will not have enough lift then be it. I will soon find out.
It is all part of 'hobby time' when available and nothing of value is lost _ _ _ L O L . . .

It might be interesting to see any control action if it does lift off the ground.
The rods seem to have some elasticity . . . like a bit of bending give.

My regards to all the readers.

Zor

Name:	R 100_7203.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2014811   Click image for larger version

Name:	R 100_7204.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2014812  
Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

The training gear in the pic is too big for the heli that is also pictured. The length of each bamboo rod from ball-to-ball should be equal to the length of the heli from tip-to-tail or a bit longer. The rods in the picture look to be over two times the length of the hei........too long !
Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Your comments are appreciated

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda

The training gear in the pic is too big for the heli that is also pictured. The length of each bamboo rod from ball-to-ball should be equal to the length of the heli from tip-to-tail or a bit longer. The rods in the picture look to be over two times the length of the hei........too long !
Hi flyinwalenda,

As I wrote previously the bamboos can easily be shortened. I was lucky to find them in my junk as they were hidden under other materials.

I made an analysis of the pitch and roll angles that would allow the main blades to hit the ground. This analysis is not what detemined the lenght now seen in the picture. I am aware they are quite long but easy to shorten. Not having other bamboo I would have to investigate carbon fiber material from the local hobby store.

I still have to fasten these bamboo rods under the existing skid. I will attempt to locate the added skid CG as exactly as I can under the existing non-added-skid CG location. The assembly will have to be adjustable to accomplish that.

I do not know ( or did not know ) of any reasons for a standard relative dimension ( proportion ) for a begnner's skid. Experimentation will reveal results and I can go from there. If it does lift off the ground I will be behind some protective barrier for my safety in case it comes toward me and does not respond to control as desired or improperly applied.

Again thanks for being here.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 07-17-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Not much progress as yet

Hello All,

Just to inform the many readers of what is happening.
My hot water heater busted and I ended up with 2" to 3 " of water all over my cellar floor.
The floor is not level enough to all go to the drain so some large areas still had over an inch of water.

Go shopping for a wet type vacuum cleaner and finish drying the floor; about 1,000 square feet.
Go shopping for a new hot water tank; remove the busted one and install the new tank that needed new routing of the copper piping.

Having hot water for showers, laundry, wash dishes just had to take priority over finishing the beginner's skid on my BLADE 300 X helicopter.

I will get to that soon I hope.

Regards to all from Zor.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 PM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

that don't sound to good there zor! hope you get it all fixed soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.