Flybarless Helicopters Discuss flybarless rotor head systems for all helicopters right here.

TRex 600E w/SK360

Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
blue.knight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default TRex 600E w/SK360

Hey folks - I've got a TRex 600E that Ijust converted to flybarless with a 5 blade head. Iinstalled a Skokum Robotics SK360 system in it (Heli came w/a GOODtail gyro - just couldn't see my way clear to throw it aside). I tied the bird down to my field box (which is actually quite larget &heavy) to get initial tracking etc worked out &found tracking was spot on with no adjustments (measure those pushrods!). but also discovered that with this particular head, 600 mm blades are JUSTa little too long. got a tail/main blade strike. Better on the box then in the air. Changed out to 570mm blades &everything SEEMSfine. Really have no clubs or anything nearby - learned to fly 25 years ago (on GMP Shuttle, Cobra &Competitor) so have seen some MAJORquantum leaps in technology in this field.

Okay - enough of the background. Basically at this moment I'm a little chicken given what Ihave invested. Iset the gyro sensitivity on the SK360 about the same as my tail gyro - 65%. & pithc range is -3 - +15. Problem is, when it comes to phasing - it can easily be programed into the unit so that's not the hesitation. Were the hesitation comes in is a guy that owns a hobby shop Igo to sometimes built a scale Hughs 500 w/flybarless scale head &he tells me not only does he run it w/out something like a VBar or SK360, but that he has no phasing in the head - says it's not necessary. Plus, when Ispun up the bird while it ws tied down Itried some very ginger cyclic inputs &the rotor disk seemed to respond correctly - with no phasing programed in.

Basicaly - Anyone out there have experience setting up/running the SK360 that has any advice for me they are willing to share - recommended settings, phasing recommendations, sensitivity settings, etc? I'd really like to try to get some advice before Itry to pick up $6 grand & stuff it.

THanks
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
evdreamer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: TRex 600E w/SK360

15 degrees of pitch is quite a bit. 10 degrees would probably be more than enough for a scale heli. I don't have any experience with a multi rotor head, but you want to get close to having 0 degrees of phasing with the swash driver. Then say if you put in some right aileron and it goes a little forward and to the right. Then you can adjust the phasing in the SK360 until it only goes to the right. I would recommend you start with the scale settings. Then adjust the gain until the heli doesn't oscillate. Then you can adjust the other settings a little at a time until it flies the way you want it to.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
ea01bg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: TRex 600E w/SK360

I have seen a four bladed head that doesnt need phasing. The control rods are kind of u shaped. That sets the phasing for those heads. Normaly you have to have phasing. Other wise it feels like you are getting a control inter action. You try going forward the Heli goes forward and right.... that sort of thing. The sk360 manual talks about setting up the phasing I think. As I recall (douoble check this with someone) on the five bladed head I setup you put one blade over the tail boom and give the heli forward and back cyclic. The blade shouldnt change pitch. if it does you adjust the phasing in the sk360 + or - depending on rotation dirction and type of blade control (leadging or trailing edge). mine was some where around 45-50.