Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch!

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch!

Hi guys!

No, this model is not new nor is it new to me and I have flown it for over 25 flights now.

Just creating a thread for it here as I searched and it seems like no one has a thread on it as of yet.

Last night, I encountered a few things on this model after flying it over a two dozen times and of course it has crashed 3 times, two of which hard.

The brief history of my specific model was a stalled crashed on it's maiden flight as a result of the 4-Blade propeller and spinner coming off in mid-flight and then, another crash such that the Left wing assembly ripped off clean from the plastic retract holder as the model was a Free-Flyer due to the onboard BEC of the STOCK ESC going over temperature and stopped providing Voltage / Current to the Spekturm AR-7000 receiver and crashed on some logs at the end of the field.

The EPO foam is very tough and comes back with ease and does not seem to crush easy like the other foam types. Of course because of this the foam is not super light either but, for a 57-inch wing span P-51D Mustang it only wighs 4.2 lbs. US so, I am ahead of perhaps 2.5 lbs. from the traditional Balsa and Light Plywood model. My model came with pre-installed retracts and it is the toughest retracts I have ever seen plus additionally the stock retract servo is very tough as one hard landing (Cross Wind) the right gear collasped and did not burn up the servo nor did the retract itself was damaged.

Okay last night, I made some improvements to the Retracts themselves and provided some plywood support for the rear side such that the Main gear can have an additional rake forward and provide the rather softer foam with more rigidity. Also, since I have not flown this model for a while I went ahead and double checked all control surfaces carefully plus the motor and I started to spin the propeller by hand and noticed that the motor moved up and down slightly (like it was lose?). I had to take off the spinner and propeller and sure enough the Firewall (Plastic plate that supports the motor mount was allowing the motor assembly to move slighly up and down and hence the part itself moved within the FUSE foam supports). I then removed the motor assembly and provided some 5-minute epoxy all around the area of the plastic Firewall and this fixed the movement!

I have some pictures!

The Plywood brace / mount for retracts to provide a slightly forward rake and making it stiffer:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4841.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2237777

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4840.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	2237778

Double check all systems, including the steerable tail wheel that can be modified for retraction as well:

Name:	IMG_4838.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2237779

Name:	IMG_4839.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	2237780

Fixed the moving Plastic Firewall (Notice the power system in plastic bag for protection):

Name:	IMG_4844.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	2237781

Stuffed a 1/32nd plywood rectrangular piece on the Right side of the FUSE (Between Foam bulkhead and Plastic Firewall for added Right thrust):

Name:	IMG_4845.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	2237782

Name:	IMG_4846.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2237783

Some wide angle pictures of the model complete and ready to fly!

Name:	IMG_4842.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	2237784

Name:	IMG_4843.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2237785

This model will fly at a Warbird Fun-Fly and Swap meet in Tampa, Florida this coming weekend!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM
guapoman2000

Default RE: FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch!

How does it look in the Air you asked?

Feast your eyes on these!

The Following pictures were possible thanks to Gerry Rivera with his PENTAX iST DL SLR Digital Camera, Thank you Gerry!

BEST FOR LAST!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HI, appreciate your post, great photos. I've ordered the airframe only of the same stang as I have a spare motor in the shop, mine will be a winter project as the tundra is starting to freeze up here. I'm not sure if I will go with retracts or hand launch and belly land.
cheers - ken k.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: kenair

HI, appreciate your post, great photos. I've ordered the airframe only of the same stang as I have a spare motor in the shop, mine will be a winter project as the tundra is starting to freeze up here. I'm not sure if I will go with retracts or hand launch and belly land.
cheers - ken k.
Wow, I did not realize it is very cold up North already!!!

Take a look at the servoless retracts for this model as they seem to be doing great according to those who purchased this model with those retracts!

My model is the old version #3 that came with Motor/ESC/servos etc...but, without the external BEC and after I installed my own (Castle Creations BEC) all is well.

Good luck on the build and if you have any questions, just let me know and I will post more pictures on how I installed (modded) the flaps.

Carlos
Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
guapoman2000

Good evening / good early morning depending on what time zone you all are at!

I just got back from participating in a War Bird Fun Fly and Swap Meet at a very nice RC Club known as the South Pinellas Aeronautical Radio Kontrol Society (SPARKS) at North St. Petersburg, Florida. It is exactly 1.5 hours of driving for me from Orlando, Florida and wow it was the best $10.00 admission fee I have every spent as the food was first rate all home cooked and the RC Club is just fantastic with power stations at each table and tables are super large. They even had a raffle for a large 73 inch Black Horse AT-6 and other prizes plus an auction should you really wanted to get rid of a few items.

Here's their web site:
[link]http://www.sparksrc.org/[/link]

I came with my Park Zone T-28 "Airforce" Trojan with the Master Airscrew 3-blade (10 X 7 X 3) and using some cheap EFlight Power 25C Discharge, 3-Cell, 2200mAH Li-POLYs, I was able to really impressed a few at this RC Club. Landing after the First Flight people started to come by and inspect my Trojan and finally turning to me in disbelief asking me if my Trojan had the STOCK Park Zone 480 and I replied YES! They looked at each other in disbelief! I also came with my modified Park Zone F4U Corsair with the Model Motors AXI 2826/10 swingint the Master Airscrew 3-Blade 9 X 7 X 3 and what a performer as all had to stop and look at this small park flyer perform like a larger model !

All day long it was blowing about 10 MPH and gusting to 12 MPH (Cross Wind) and no one seemed to want to fly and so, I went out for my 2nd flight and commanded my Trojan to perform a Knife edge all around their field and over their runway run as I was the only one flying they gave me that flexibility to fly pretty much free style but, noting the boundaries of the adjacent Highway (I-275) and Rosavelt Road. Now, we got even more people coming to the table after I landed and placed my Trojan on the table to get it out from the Florida hot Sun. It was amazing how many people came to look over my model as they just could not believe it was STOCK out of the box![:@]

I also came with my Large FMS P-51D Mustang and waited until 3:15pm to fly it as the wind finally died down a little but, still Cross Wing 90 degree from runway run. She took off nice and was able to demonstrate the flap action and everyone was amazed on the Slow flight characteristics and even allowed the large lady to fly a little side slip as passed by the field with all that cross wind! Commanded her to do rolls, loops and again flap action again and then after 6 minutes using the new EM 4-Cell, 2650mAH, 25C Li-POLYs she landed on one wheel like Bob Hover and it looked fantastic as she finally settled down on all mains.

Here I am next to my large lady and the other Park Zone model.

Amazing Day!....[X(]

Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM
guapoman2000

Perfect weather (wind) conditions early this Monday morning so, I took advantage and came with my Large FMS EPO Foam P-51D Mustang and everyone enjoyed watching it zoom around the field at Moon Port Modelers RC Club!

Here's the Video!

[link]http://vimeo.com/16393580[/link]
Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM
guapoman2000

Pictures from super early this morning (notice the light from my Portable Battery supply!):

Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 PM
guapoman2000

Hi Guys!

Like to report that Gerry (simano) will be coming to the same RC Club, Tuesday morning with his High Definition Video Camcorder and it will be the very first Video of this model taken with such higher techology!

Stay tuned! I got all batteries charged up![8D]
Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 AM
guapoman2000

Okay,

Got up early and adjusted the Left Retract so, the Struct securing screws would not make contact within the inside of the Retract Holder housing wall. (Please Note that I took out the entire Left wing Retract assembly and disassembled it in order to Dremel out the inner plastic housing that rubs against the strut securing screws!)

Also, using 6mm Depron Foam, I installed wind blockers so, the retract main gear doors would not be pushed outward during high speed passes.

Some pictures!

Dremel Tool saves the day!

Air Blockers for Retract wheel wells.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
guapoman2000

29th & 30th Flight Results (Left Retract Mods & Wing Deflectors):

Like to report two wonderful and most importantly, Flawless Flights observed from my FMS P-51D Mustang using the retracts and flaps!

My buddy, Gerry (simano) captured some High Definition video footage of both flights and the retracts went up without any partial hanging down and they came down and locked perfectly.

I am very pleased with my work from early this morning that allowed improvements on using the Stock retracts setup. Those wind deflectors really worked well as I was able to throttle up and allow the model to zoom passed those near the pilots station.

Both flights were right at 5.5 minutes using the EM (Esprit Model), 4-cell, 2600mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLY packs.

Because of the rutty and long grass field the model tipped over right when it was coming to a stop but, it landed like a baby doll.

Can't wait for the High Definition Video from Gerry!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
guapoman2000

VIDEO of the 29th Flight of my Large FMS EPO Foam P-51D Mustang showing flawless operation of all systems including retracts and flaps after some tickering with Dremel Tool inside the Left Retract housing and installing the Air (Wind) Blockers made of 6mm Depron Foam!

Thanks to Gerry (simano) who Video recorded my 29th flight with this fantastic model using his High Definition (HD) Video Camcorder!

[link]http://vimeo.com/16449003[/link]
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
guapoman2000

VIDEO of the 30th Flight of my Large FMS EPO Foam P-51D Mustang showing flawless operation of all systems including retracts and flaps after some tickering with Dremel Tool inside the Left Retract housing and installing the Air (Wind) Blockers made of 6mm Depron Foam!

Thanks to Gerry (simano) who Video recorded my 29th flight with this fantastic model using his High Definition (HD) Video Camcorder!

[link]http://vimeo.com/16449688[/link]
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
DR1Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Great Carlos!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: DR1Pilot

Looks Great Carlos!

Jim!

Nice to see you at RCU and glad you enjoyed the Video Production and my large EPO foam P-51D Mustang in action!

I am really enjoying this model, she flys like the full size, especially when you deploy the flaps!

Take care!
Carlos
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
simano

Hey, I'm glad I finally found this thread!!...

Carlos, this is the best flying electric P-51D I've ever seen in person. I'll be following the developments here from now on.

Happy Landings!!.

Gerry.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM
guapoman2000

I finally purchased some "BLACK" ORACAL Intermediate 651 adhesive film to hide the wing crack / brake from a previous nasty crash (3rd flight) as everyone keeps coming up to the model and says

"Oh, you have a crack on the wing!"

Now with the WHITE film, I will be able to introduce complementary Invasion Stripes on top of the wing assemblies such that the crack can not be noticed and the looks in the Air will be enhanced.

Carlos
Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 AM
guapoman2000

I just had enough of people pointing out towards a scar that the Left Wing has due to the Ugly Crash sustained during it's 3rd flight earlier this year so,

I went ahead and using a very good adhesive Film known as ORACAL Intermediate 651 Film some new invasion stripes has emerged tonight!

Now you don't see any scars!!!!!

Some pictures as usual!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM
alitalia1

Hi Guys

Has anyone any idea's about a retracting tail wheel?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: alitalia1

Hi Guys

Has anyone any idea's about a retracting tail wheel?
Alitalia1,

Yes indeed, the early versions of the FMS P-51D Mustang did come with a large and heavier Tail wheel assembly that not only provided steerable tail wheel action but, with a very slight modification, you could make it easily into a retractable tail wheel assembly.

It is funny that you asked because I had to write to FMS MODEL directly who will be sending me the exact same tail wheel assembly that can be made easily into a retaction but, they could not send it to me directly and it is coming via one of their distributors.

Hopefully sooner than later!

When, I receive it, I will provide photos and detailed accounts on how to make it retractable.

Carlos[8D]
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM
alitalia1

Thanks Carlos

Just for the record my P51 has the new worm drive for main gear retracts

Tony
Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM
guapoman2000

Tony,

Yes, it seems like all of the new versions of this large EPO Foam Mustang is coming with servoless retracts. I like my mechanical retracts as they are very tough and even though you have the weight of servos on each wing to activate each mechanical retract side, they are tough as nails.

Anyway, here is a picture of the Tail Wheel assembly that I am waiting for and with easy modification you can have it perform retraction of tail wheel assembly.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

retarctable steerable tail wheen in my FMS 55" P57 , may give you some ideas
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 AM
alitalia1

Thanks Guys for info, really is appreciated

But Carlos who makes this gear as it looks perfect and indeed looks the same as an insert in Utube?
P.S went flying this morning with my Easyglider with the engine now replaced with a 130w motor and 3000 battery -2c very cold,but great morning.

brgds Tony
Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: alitalia1

But Carlos who makes this gear as it looks perfect and indeed looks the same as an insert in Utube?

brgds Tony
The actual retract Assembly part, I don't know but, I do know that it "was" made for "FMS MODEL" for their first and perhaps second versions for the Large EPO P-51D Mustang. Only FMS MODEL knows and I seriously doubt they will tell.

This Video shows someone else that performed the modification of the exact same Tail Wheel Assembly we are discussing here and notice that he shorten the length of the Aluminum strut and of course added another servo and removed the keeper inside the assembly to allow for retraction.

Here's the Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ipbrd65uzE[/youtube]
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: LDM

retarctable steerable tail wheen in my FMS 55'' P57 , may give you some ideas
Yes, at one time you could have purchased this particular Retractable Tail wheel from various places and one that comes to mind is PW-RC:
[link]http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/cPath/104/products_id/1316?osCsid=vpikk2pnt0blnil94h14edl932[/link]

However, I just tried to view the item again today and they NO LONGER offer it. All I see is the servoless for the mains.

For those with the older versions of the Large EPO Mustang, you would need to do extensive modifications to make this one work.

Carlos[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.