Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
xmjsilverx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner

I am new to RC planes. I bought a Mini AMX Fighter from HK for my first plane and I have wrecked it numerous times. I think I need something a little slower so I ended up ordering the skyfun jet from there. I read that it is a good beginner plane. Does anyone have any tips they can give me so I can hopefully keep this one in one piece?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Beginner

Get a good simulator and crash away all you can with no repairs and even if it is not real flying you are training the hand eye coordination needed to fly good. I have real flight and would not be flying as good as I am with out it teaching me to use the sticks without having to stop and think on what next. All the "Easy to fly" planes are not easy if they were anyone could pick one up and do 3d!!! just my opinion.
Larry
Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 AM
xmjsilverx

Thanks for the reply.  I have used one of those before and flew it with no problems.  I don't know if some are different or not but this one the camera view was right behind the plane all of the time which is so much different than flying from the ground.  Also they don't teach hand launches.  I think I have kind of gotten the hand launching down but it took me a lot of crashes to do so.  Now my problem is the plane is a spec in no time and I am trying to figure out which way I am going and before I know it I have rolled it over and it's headed down so I pull up and I'm actually pulling it straight down.  I have ordered two different brightly colored tapes to try to help with being able to tell the planes orientation.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

What helped me with the disappearing plane syndrome was to get some fluorescent orange plastic streamer material and tie one on the back of the plane . a couple of feet weighs nothing and the drag factor is small. On my real flight the same view can be switched so I fly first behind to get a idea what the plane handles like then from the fixed position. Mix it up so there is no exact duplication on the flight wind weather time of day etc and you will soon learn to be a better judge of what the plane is doing at all times and in any conditions!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM
xmjsilverx

Cool, thanks for the tips.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
saucerguy
Banned

The main thing is to have your plane set up perfectly, trimmed out perfectly, so that it will fly straight, not gain a whole lot of altitude, but it's not going to require in flight maintenance, ie, having to keep course correction to keep it from crashing into the tundra.

Once you have it dialed in, it's going to fly by itself, your only job is to gently nudge it on the sticks. It will feel more mechanical, just a quick breath into the stick for a moment, and let it center out. The problem with new pilots is that they oversteer the plane, which always gets them into trouble. You can technically use this system no matter what kind of plane you are flying "3d planes are going to require a submicro nudge" compared to trainers. Never fly in any kind of wind, wait for the last 30 minutes of the day for the winds die down during that time, or the first 30 minutes of the morning.

If you launch it, and it becomes far too much, ie. is way out of trim or cog is off, land it if at all possible, get your bearings back, adjust your trim, and relaunch. I call these wright brother test flights, and is the preferred method I use for maidening prototypes.

Above all, don't pan nick, if you are flying emotionally it will get the best of you every time. You will crash, we all crash, it just happens, and it's not the plane that's worth anything, it's the gear inside. If it gets out of range, where you can't see where it's going any more, time to abort the mission and take it down, a broken plane is better then a lost one...also as the other poster stated, make sure you have set your sim's for you in a fixed position, just as it's like in the field. The chase cam mode is pretty much useless for training purposes.