Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Painting foam......Again need quick help

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Painting foam......Again need quick help

Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting foam......Again need quick help

I bought a foam Edf Jet and the color is hideous.
Unfortunately I am not very familiar with all the different paint terminology, latex,acrylic,enemal ...etc.
I am looking to repaint the plane with military color scheme, perhaps grey on the bottom and black on the top.
If anyone knows of any foam safe paint in a can ready to spray that you can easily purchase at any big box store like Home Depot,Lowes,Walmart.....etc.

All the help is always appreciated.

Fabio
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
jdetray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting foam......Again need quick help

Krylon H2O spray paint is a latex paint that should be foam safe. However, it is still recommended that you test by spraying on a very small area first, just to be sure.

If you spray very light coats from a distance, you may find that other types of spray paint will also work. The key is to spray from a greater-than-normal distance to allow the volitile foam eating materials to dissipate into the air before hitting the foam.

Again: test, test, test on a very small area.

- Jeff
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
ama353
My Feedback: (6)

Glad to see this subject here, I came on to post the same question. How about the Floquil line of paints by Testors? Suppose I want to repaint a ParkZone F4F Wildcat, 38" span - how much paint will I need? Looking for a "Navy Blue" for U.S. Navy aircraft of the '40s and '50s - can anyone recommend a specific color?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis
Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM
jdetray

The "official" dark blue color for WWII U.S. naval aircraft is Dark Sea Blue. It is available as a Testors' [link=http://www.testors.com/products/433740]Model Master Acryl[/link], but I don't see it listed in the Floquil line.

- Jeff
Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM
ama353
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks a bunch! Out of curiousity, where did you find that info? I'd like to find a match for the current Air Force A-10, among others.

Dennis

Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: ama353
Out of curiousity, where did you find that info?
I can't recall where I first read about "dark sea blue," but I it was a standard "dark blue" color for naval aircraft.

If you do a Google search for the F4F Wildcat, you will find that it was painted in dozens of different color schemes. Dark blue was just one of many. There were some two- and three-color designs, some in blue, others in gray. There is even a three-color scheme of silver-gray fuselage, yellow wings, and black tail.

There is lots of available information if you dig around on the Internet.

- Jeff