Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Is 10A too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Flyer 202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 10A too much power?

I’m getting into 3D foamies and I’ve been looking at a E-flite 10A speed control to power an E-flite Park 250 but the motors continuous current is 7A so will 10A be too much and burn up the motor or will the speed control work well for this motor set up? I could just keep off the power to keep the amperage down but I’d like to know if this is an issue or am I just being overly cautious.

Otherwise I could look at a lower Amperage ECU from another brand any recommendations would be great!!!

Thanks in advance, Flyer 202
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Is 10A too much power?

The size/amp rating of the ESC has NOTHING to do do with how much power is going through the motor... you could use a 200A ESC and it would not change the amp draw of the motor! The amp draw of a particular motor is determined by prop size and voltage... NOT the ESC.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The ESC is sized to the motor, not the other way around. If you put a 15A motor on a 10A ESC, the ESC will fry. 
Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

One property of electricity that all hobbyists should know is ohms law. It states Voltage/Resistance=Amperage. The other variations are V/A=R, and V=A*R. So applying the first variation, the resistance of the esc is constant, so the motor controls the amount of amperage pulled. An esc that can handle more amps has less on resistance, because resistance makes heat, but the amount of on resistance is minuscule, so we dont really have to factor that into the amount of amps pulled. So the motor makes all of the resistance, therefore it is the controlling factor. The motors are meant to be able to run with an esc of no resistance at all. As long as the rated voltage for each if rated voltage if the esc can handle 3s and the motor 4s the max is 3s, if the esc is 4s and the motor is 3s then the max is 3s.