Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

fastest zagi possible debate begins

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

fastest zagi possible debate begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 10:09 PM
lynnpreston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fastest zagi possible debate begins

Wow, that's awesome. What li-po cells are you using? The motor has to get pretty hot while running it that hard. How long have you been running that setup?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:14 PM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

i'm using the new irate 2200mah lithium polymers found at cheapbatterypacks.com. no problem with the motor heating up yet. the motor is completly exposed to the air. using this system as of this week
Old 12-04-2003, 07:38 PM
ricktkenny

Hi guys, I had a zagi that I started with, I struggled with it for a while and hit the ground so many times it hurt, I thought I could fly by my self. Anyway after teaching myself I decided to get a new zagi and keep it in good shape. At the store I saw a new combat wing just in called the X-ite, it was only 34 quid and was all epp. I got that. What surprised me best was the kit came with fibre tape, carbon rod and all the covering tapes. There is no need to even glue the LE (one piece wings) or the two wing halves together. On first flight I just new she was a babe, the handling was so much better. I think the lower weight helps. I love this plane and now run a mega 16/15/4 brushless with 8 sanyo 1200 nicads and she must go 80 -85 mph. I have had this wing vertical with rolls all the way up and then invert. Down wind she is just awesome and the sound is fantastic(echos are strange).

I fly on the beach and people often stand and watch and ask if its a jet. They are amazed when I catch land, change the battery and just toss her out again.

The guys at the field never really comment as they are all IC guys, but I know they are watching when I am coming downwind rolling all the way down and then pull up into a vert.

Flying times are about 15 mins and the most is 1 hour on the Thermals.

remember X-ITE

Rick
Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Cliffw

That is indeed a nice wing and in the uS it is called an Ele Bee. Windrider is the HK based MFG. and AtlantaHobby.com is the US importer and distributor.
You can see them[link=http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=768]bu clicking here[/link]. The wing is all EPP and unlike other wings it is all molded. Lots of other nice features too, take a look see.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:05 PM
ricktkenny

Hope to get some pics up tonight of the xite. I went out today and loads of people commented on how good she flew, I mean this baby flys staedy as a rock, once trimmed she goes as straight as a die. On full power she climbs to 400 ft in seconds and then just knock the power down to nothing and just float around. Are there any english guys on here with Zags
Old 12-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Cliffw

I have a big brown truck load of the new Zagi XS planes on the way to me. It has a new faster airfoil and I can't wait to get my hands on them. You can see some photos [link=http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=1088]by clicking here.[/link] it looks like Trick has figured out from the XT technology how to build an internal canopy that will not eat up the foam in a crash like some of the other "battery in the foam" models.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM
ricktkenny

Well as promised her is my XITE (zagi copy)

specs

Mega brushless 16/15/4
model motors mm esc

sanyo 1250 nicads 8 cell (not in Pic)
5x4 prop
standard servos and reciever

Multiplex transmitter

As you can see from the pics I have smashed the canopy so I just Velcro the cells on then secure with bullet tape. (never lost one, and it runs cool)

The motor is mounted on a 50pence motor mount and then cable tied down.

I have added some strapping tape to the wing for added strength as this setup put loads of extras stress. I have never seen it flap though.

Also added some correx under the wing to stop it ripping the solor film.

As anyone considered cutting holes in the wing to make it light and then solar filming. It would fly for ages.

mine comes in at 26oz all up.

I reckon I get 85mph and can get about 5 rolls on the vert before I have to level. I will Post some Video soon.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73330.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	79929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30747.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	79930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96735.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	79931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96809.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	79932  
Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
cherikeered

I just put in a mega 16/15/3 with jeti-40 in a zagi 400. Stock carbon fiber prop(about to try some apc's). It is reinforced with a glaspar (about 3/8" wide?) added 2" behind cg so it is wider. I've been running 12 cell 1050 cbp's and kan's. Never clocked it but it goes really freakin fast. Full throttle 500ft dives to 4ft off the ground flybys are screamers. No hint of a flap. Is anybody else running this setup? I don't know how many amps its drawing, just wondered if anyone had problems.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Ritewing
My Feedback: (1)

Well over 50 amps for sure static.Drop a cell or two and go with an apc 5/5 4/5.
With ten cells on a 5/5 4/5. It will pull 43 amps static.
The mega 4 turn will push it faster on ten cells on a apc 6 5/5 but it will sound slower and wont eat your batteries and esc.The 3 turn will sound faster than it is, and will cavitate the prop.The airfoil is too fat so to get it to go faster go with slower tourqkey motor and prop up.
Even yet My 4 ft slayer does 119 mph with a mega 5 turn on 11 cells sanyo 1950 faup and an apc 7/5 prop. The amp draw is way less. Put the three turn on a 36 in wing it will be way more efficient. Dont smoke your esc.I hope this helps I have done these combos with wattmetters tacometers and radar gun.Chris Ritewingrc