Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Chosing the right glue

Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 AM
royalstar05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chosing the right glue

I am getting ready to put my foam bi plane together. The list of glue is killing me. Can I use Gorilla glue or should I get the CA foam glue. CA glue is are to find where I live not many hobby stores around. Thank for the advise
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
jdetray

Default RE: Chosing the right glue

When assembling foamies, I have used Gorilla Glue, foam-safe (odorless) CA, and two-part epoxy. Several times, I have used all three on the same airplane.

For example, I have used CA to quickly tack foam fuselage pieces together, then applied fillets of Gorilla Glue to strengthen the joints. This is a good technique if you can apply the Gorilla Glue inside a fuselage where it won't be seen (it's not very pretty).

Remember that Gorilla Glue expands and foams up as it cures, so it may not be the best choice for locations where the expanding glue would be unsightly or interfere with attaching other components. In such locations, epoxy might be a better choice.

If you use CA, be sure to get some accelerator or "kicker." When used on foam, CA can take a surprisingly long time to cure, but if you give it a spray of accelerator, it cures instantly.

So as you can see, each type of glue has its uses.

- Jeff
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
royalstar05

Thanks for the help what about hot glue do you use this also
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: royalstar05

Thanks for the help what about hot glue do you use this also
Yes, I have used hot glue with foam. Regular hot glue may be hot enough to melt foam, so use it with care. Also, the working time of hot glue is very short, so you have only a couple of seconds to position whatever it is you are gluing.

- Jeff
Old 06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
nitro208ca

When it comes to ca glue for foamies Iwould stay away from it. There are two reasons for it
1) If using ca you need the kicker for a proper bond
2) I have used ca(foam safe) and have to say that the bond is very weak

My opinion is that the best glue for foamies is expoxy.It has a great bond and it is very strong.The only thing is , if you want a solid bond let the expoxy dry over night
Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Glue types for foam

I wonder if the glue used to attach the feathers to a arrow shaft would work?