Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

I need some quick advice on a suitable foamie

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

I need some quick advice on a suitable foamie

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Mark Worthington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some quick advice on a suitable foamie

Guys, I'm still stuck in the balsa, monokote and 2-stroke glow engine era of the late 1970s (when I first fot into RC) and I need some quick advice and help navigating the world of RTF electric foamies.

A good friend's girlfriend has been battling ovarian cancer and the cancer has come roaring back with a vengeance. She just had a second major surgery last week and will hopefully be home midweek. One thing that she and I share is a love of flight...she has piloted a hang glider to 10,000 feet and used to fly RC slope soarers. I want to find a couple suitable RC airplanes that we can fly from their large backyard while she is recovering. Maybe catch a few thermals, maybe use some ribbons and do some aerial combat, but just relax and have fun. I'm looking for something electric, RTF or very close to RTF, and something that will stand up to quite a bit of abuse. I want to order a couple of these ASAP and have them in the air later this week. I don't mind paying a premium for quality.

I took a quick look at Tower Hobbies and am bewildered. Looking around in this forum on RC Universe I could spend dozens of hours researching this purchase so I am hoping you guys can help me cut to the chase. I need some specific recommendations.

Summary of the criteria:

• No more than a couple of hours per plane to get into the air.
  • Needs to be durable and crashworthy.
  • Should be suitable and enjoyable for novice-intermediate flyers.
  • Need to include radio and servos.
  • Should be able to fly in light-moderate breeze. OK, maybe just a light breeze.
  • Should be capable of catching a thermal.
  • Should be capable of mild aerobatics and combat.
  • I will also want to get a few spare batteries and charger so we can spend our time flying and not charging.
  • We are value conscious, not necessarily cost conscious.

Thanks.